Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have any friends still from grammar & middle school?

Do you have any friends still from grammar & middle school?

I was looking through some family photo albums recently and came across pictures of friends I had in grammar and middle school. There was a good amount of pics of my best friend Bobby at the time.

I never really kept in touch with Bobby after middle school or most other people I went to school with back then.

While Bobby and everyone else I knew back in the day are probably different people today than how I recall them it's one regret I have. Not keeping better in touch with old classmates over the years or at least making a little better attempt at it.

How about you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you have any friends still from grammar & middle school?

I’m 34. Two of my closest friends to this day are friends I’ve had since middle school. A couple other good buddies were folks who were a couple grades younger than me that happened to go to the same college as I did—so we became friends a little later in life. Still a handful of others that I remain in contact with, either as an occasional hangout or just an acquaintance to catch up with on social media from time to time.

It’s interesting, a lot of folks I know from growing up have remained relatively close. Not just my friends, but acquaintances with other closer friend groups.

I wouldn’t feel too bad about it. I’ve made plenty of friends in college and my professional life, as I’m sure you have. Not to sound harsh, but one old friend in particular is a bummer to be around sometimes. I’m loyal to him, but have developed other friendships that are more enjoyable and less of a drag. So remaining friends with him comes more from a place of duty, as opposed to sharing common interests. Happy to do it, but the point I’m making is some long term friendships aren’t always all they’re cracked up to be.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

One of my buddies from grade school is now my brother in law. I married his younger sister 13 years after we finished grade school.

I took a very different path than all my friends and have nearly no connection to anyone from my childhood, outside of going to high school reunions. Those events are a lot of fun and it's enjoyable to be around the people I grew up with, who know me in a way that friends I made later in life never will. Unfortunately, like a lot of middle aged men, it's hard to make new friends and I sometimes regret that I didn't take time to hold on to those connections.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I am still friends with someone I have known since 1st grade. We went to HS together and remained friends through college and after. We don't speak as often as we used to, as we no longer live in the same city, but are still friends.

This subject is kind of a bummer for me, though. My group of friends from high school was very tight. We remained friends through college and after. I am 40 now, and in the past 5-6 years we have just drifted apart quite a bit. To the point I really don't talk to a couple people I considered my best friends from HS through most of my adult life. Some of this is ideological. The one friend went very far right wing during the Trump presidency/COVID years and I did not cut him off because of this or anything, we just have nothing to talk about at this point, everything is political, and I frankly do not want my kids around some of the stuff he says anyways. Who knows, he might feel the same way - he doesn't have kids though. But, either way, we just don't talk anymore.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Yes, my best friend and I met in middle school, 47 years ago. I also have a couple that I'm still friends with, and a couple who passed away in the past few years.

I’m 71 so I have a lot of friends that have died. It used to be a shock but now it’s more to be expected. Cancer seems to be the biggie. It almost got me but I dodged that bullet.

I still have a group of guys I hang with but they are old neighbors from the last 25-30 years. I keep in distant touch with high school friends via Facebook. I mostly hang with my children and grandchildren now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-29-2024)

I still regularly see one of my better friends from grade school. I do get together on occasion with a group of guys who I went to grade school with. It is increasingly more difficult due to us living in different parts of the city and kids schedule. But we still do get together.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    like a lot of middle aged men, it's hard to make new friends
    I understand the feeling, and experiences will certainly vary, but I never made so many new acquaintences, friends, connections, etc. in my adult life as when I started playing pickleball. I'm sure other hobbies will do the same, but it's generally quite a social group of folks.

12. Likes:

SunDeck (02-02-2024)

I still hang out regularly with two of my best friends from elementary school and high school. We all grew up in Cincinnati and now all live within about a mile of each other in Cleveland, which is weird, but nice. I also still regularly talk and text with 2 other good friends from my high school group and see them once a year.

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-29-2024)

I’m still in touch with a few friends from my early elementary school years and from my old neighborhood growing up, but it’s only through social media. With some of them, I realized I wouldn’t want to spend 5 minutes with them as adults if we hadn’t randomly sat next to each other in 1st grade or something.

My group of friends from college are the ones I’m still close to, in addition to a few really great friends I’ve made since moving from VA to NC about 10 years ago.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

16. Likes:

SunDeck (02-04-2024)

I'm 57 and my oldest friend I met in the 2nd grade. So 50 years of friendship. Still my best and closest friend, despite living about 700 miles away.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

18. Likes:

SunDeck (02-04-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I have friends on Facebook that I went to kindergarten with. While I'm not close, I have visited a few over the years just to connect for a bit. My oldest close friend is someone I met almost 30 years ago in college.

My wife has a couple of friends she's had since she was a young teen. I'm in my 50s and she's in her mid-40s.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I have 2 friends from elementary/middle school. I’m 51 and while we don’t hang out as much as we used to we stay in touch with weekly phone calls or texts. I’m happy to say I can say “I love you” in a brotherly way to both of them.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

There was one guy I would consider a childhood friend, but I haven't seen him since 9th grade. He was a good guy, and if the planets aligned and we bumped into each other, I'm sure we'd have a good talk. But my Army buddies are a completely different thing. I can't speak for other veterans here, but I can't explain the bond. We talk at least once a year and I visit whenever I can, and all but one of them are still alive, thank God.

22. Likes:

SunDeck (02-04-2024)

Turn Off Ads?