Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have any friends still from grammar & middle school?

Aristocratic Hoosier

Re: Do you have any friends still from grammar & middle school?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    There was one guy I would consider a childhood friend, but I haven't seen him since 9th grade. He was a good guy, and if the planets aligned and we bumped into each other, I'm sure we'd have a good talk. But my Army buddies are a completely different thing. I can't speak for other veterans here, but I can't explain the bond. We talk at least once a year and I visit whenever I can, and all but one of them are still alive, thank God.
    Actually, I have 5 or 6 who I see at least once a year -- and that's from first grade in 1952. Three of them have died in the past few years, so actually from an 8th grade class of 13 (very small 3-room school), I have at least internet connections with nearly half of them. And we are NOT remotely in the same area with each other.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A different school every year until 10th grade, in 5 states spanning thousands of miles. Indiana, Arizona, California, Ohio and finally, Texas.

Honestly, I don't have friends now, except for a very cranky cat.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

One of my closest friends was a friend as far back as first grade. We drifted apart after college, but about 10 years thereafter reconnected. We talk about 2 to 3 times a month. We're thankful for Zoom/Skype as he's lived overseas the last 30+ years. He's lived in Monrovia the last couple years, and we'd not connect often without the means to do so without expense.

We had no luck with the ladies in high school. We shared our deepest fears and frustrations back then. We know each other as well as I know my siblings, maybe better because we filter very little with one another.

I'm 61 years young and still have 5 high school friends that I'm still very good friends with and see regularly. Two of them I have known since 1st grade and the other three, I met at around age 13 or 14. I love them all and their families dearly.

Edit: I forgot to mention that three other close high school buddies have passed away in the last 10 years, who I remained close with after HS. I am actually facebook friends with about 85 percent of my high school classmates and though we don't hang out, we still care about one another. I'm very blessed, that's for sure!
    Last edited by LiferJim; 01-30-2024 at 10:39 AM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

6. Likes:

goreds2 (01-31-2024)

I'm still friends with someone from 8th grade, we're not as close but we still talk now and then.
    Go Gators!

People move less often than they used to, with a sharp decline from 2000 onwards. I wonder if this will create more lasting friendships since there will be fewer children changing schools and more of them staying in the same areas for most of their childhood.

Fortunate to have a good group of friends I met in elementary school, 45-ish years ago.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

My dad hasn't made a friend in 50 years and he has a lot of friends. We had dinner with one of them a couple weeks ago and I was touched by these two octogenarians, who met at St. William elementary school in 1945, still laughing together.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (02-05-2024),Roy Tucker (02-05-2024)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    A different school every year until 10th grade, in 5 states spanning thousands of miles. Indiana, Arizona, California, Ohio and finally, Texas.

Honestly, I don't have friends now, except for a very cranky cat.
    I had a cat as my only friend for 10 years. He crossed the Rainbow Bridge a year ago and I realized what he was trying to tell me all those years. Cats make good friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

13. Likes:

TRF (02-09-2024),westofyou (02-05-2024)

Blessed to have 2 high school and 2 college buddies I still see regularly and hit up for golf or a weekend roadie.

Old friends are the best

My cat, Omega, aptly named as she will someday end me. Took her 6 years to jump on my lap, one pet too many and she draws blood.

I kind of adore her.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Not really, still a few I bump into every once in a while randomly but not planned really.
    I collect baseball cards and go to a local store on days of new releases often. There was one other guy I ran into often there and we would talk cards, collecting etc over several run ins over 2 or so years. We were talking one day and he was talking about growing up and where he lived-we quickly realized we were really close friends through 4th grade/1985 when I moved away and never saw/spoke again to that point. We have remained in loose touch since this point, although we don't get together or anything.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-04-2024),goreds2 (03-04-2024),REDREAD (03-04-2024)

I attended a very small elementary school for the first seven years. There were only seven students in my 7th grade class, and four of them are now deceased. I do occasionally encounter the other two survivors. I recently briefly interacted with Willie at a local grocery and Sheila and her husband sent me a thoughtful condolence note when my mom passed a few years ago, but we're not close. I still have occasional contact with others from the school, mostly on Facebook.
    My closest friend growing up was Eddie, who was three years older than me. He and his wife moved to Philadelphia 40 years ago, but we stayed in contact via e-mails until recently; he now suffers from Parkinson's and my last few e-mails have not been answered.
    I do have regular contact with Mike, who I first met in junior high and graduated high school with. We were at each other's weddings in 1987 and have stayed in contact even though he lives 3+ hours away. Our wives are good friends. My youngest son and his wife attend Mike's church and Mike is his Sunday School teacher.
    Mike and his wife were among those who attended our high school class 50th reunion last fall. There are several others in that class I stay in contact with.
    It's tough staying close to a lot of old friends as time and distance erode bonds of friendship, but I treasure the friends I have and had. Hey, I've known my wife for more than 40 years and have been married to her for 37 years, and we're still friends!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

19. Likes:

goreds2 (03-05-2024),LiferJim (03-06-2024),Roy Tucker (04-30-2024)

Turn Off Ads?