Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Frankie Montas

Re: Frankie Montas

Everybody knows what I am capable of doing when I’m healthy,” Montas said after his six-up, six-down outing that included a couple of strikeouts looking on a spotted breaking ball and a 96-mph fastball.

The Reds certainly do. That’s why they signed the upside-gamble righty coming off a yearlong shoulder injury.

And why they believe he could play an outsized role in this team winning a division for the first time in a decade.

“Oh, yeah,” manager David Bell said. “We recognized just where he was in his career. Obviously, there was a lot of thought put into making sure he was healthy.

“(Tuesday’s start) was another sign that he’s ready to go,” Bell said. “He has his work cut out for him like all of our other guys, as far as building up and being ready for his first start of the season. But it’s a great place to start from. He’s feeling great. He’s competing.

If the Reds have built a solid pitching floor with the healthy returns of the Big Three 2022 rookies (Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, Graham Ashcraft), the returns of the two big 2023 rookies (Andrew Abbott, Brandon Williamson) and the addition of Nick Martinez, then a healthy Montas represents the ceiling of what this group might do.

“My only goal this year is to walk out there every five days and make every start,” Montas said. “I feel like if I do that I’m giving the team the best chance to win. That’s my priority goal right now.”

Read Full Story Here
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...on/ar-BB1j4tN3

2. Likes:

malcontent (03-01-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Frankie Montas: Loses command Sunday

Montas, who shined with two perfect innings in his Cactus League debut, allowed soft contact in the first two innings but managed to prevent runs. The third inning, however, was different.

The Royals scored five runs during the frame, including a pair of home runs off Montas. "I didn't really have my fastball command today. It was inconsistent,"

"The difference for any pitcher is fastball command."

Reds manager David Bell referred to the pitcher's tiring in the third inning as a "normal part of the build up."

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...ommand-sunday/

That's why they call it Spring Training.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Frankie Montas is fired up and ready to go for Opening Day

Cincinnati Reds Opening Day starting pitcher Frankie Montas has looked like the team’s best pitcher this spring, and he capped off his preparation for the regular season with his most impressive outing so far.

Against the Colorado Rockies, Montas allowed two runs, both of which scored on a two-run homer. More importantly than the final line, he struck out six batters and had all five of his pitches working.

After the game, Montas was fired up about his performance. He missed nearly the entire 2022 season after having shoulder surgery, and now he feels better than he has in years.

Montas’ next outing in a Reds uniform will be on Thursday on Opening Day.

“It’ll be special,” Montas said. “I hear how crazy Cincinnati gets on Opening Day. I look forward to going out there, having a good performance and putting on a good show.”

Story Here
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y/73080959007/

7. Likes:

Cherokee (03-24-2024),HokieRed (03-24-2024),LiferJim (03-24-2024),wlf WV (03-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Frankie Montas is fired up and ready to go for Opening Day
    Story Here
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y/73080959007/
    I only watched 2 innings yesterday but Montas looked really good to me. I think Greene could learn a lot from how Montas pitches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

9. Likes:

757690 (03-24-2024),Ron Madden (03-24-2024)

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...s/73130617007/

He also relished the opportunity he had in front of a sellout crowd. When Bell named Montas the Reds’ Opening Day starter, Montas said that he was going to “put on a show.” Montas’ performance lived up to his hype.

“He looked like he was ready to go into a UFC ring,” Reds right fielder Jake Fraley said. “I wouldn’t want to get in the ring with that guy. That’s who Frankie was when he was in Oakland.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-29-2024),RedTeamGo! (03-29-2024),Ron Madden (03-29-2024),SirFelixCat (03-29-2024)

Montas looked great and I'm hopeful, but the Nats aren't much of a test. Lets see what happens against a better line-up and as the innings mount.

So far, so good.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Nothing overpowering yesterday but he was hitting his spots, and getting that strike call for all the low and away stuff that could have just as easily been called as balls.

That's more than enough to beat a lineup that has Winker batting 3rd.

Not to take anything away from his performance though, because he did look good out there. Loose, confident, all of it.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Frankie pitched a fantastic game! I saw some borderline pitches that were called strikes and some that were called balls. I don’t feel like he was given an advantage at all. I’m optimistic he will keep up the good work against better teams!

Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-30-2024),SirFelixCat (03-29-2024)

Loved the performance, loved what he had to say after the game with his family.

Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

17. Likes:

goreds2 (03-30-2024),Ron Madden (03-30-2024)

Reds head home after second straight series victory to start season

This is the first time since 2021 the Reds have won their first two series and the fourth time in the last 10 years.

"That's huge every time you get to take a series against a good team," starting pitcher Frankie Montas said on Bally Sports Cincinnati after the game Wednesday, "and a good pitcher like Zack Wheeler."

He's one of the best pitchers in the league. The guys went up there and did what they are supposed to do. That means the team is ready to compete no matter who's on the mound for the opposite team."

After throwing six scoreless innings in a 8-2 victory on Opening Day, Montas has a 0.77 ERA through two starts.

Full Story Here
    https://sports.yahoo.com/reds-head-h...141400149.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-04-2024 at 04:56 PM.

19. Likes:

Cherokee (04-04-2024)

Montas already has 0.7 WAR for the season, this leads all National League Pitchers in WAR.

He also leads the National League in...

Adjusted ERA Plus: 656

Adjusted Pitching Runs: 5

Wins: 2

Adjusted Pitching Wins: .6

Situational Wins Saved: .5
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-04-2024 at 05:10 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

21. Likes:

chrisball96 (04-05-2024)

He's been very good for us.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

I wasn't thrilled with the 100 pitches.... I would of took him out
    earlier in his inning, he was losing control.. It worked out for us..
    Going forward mgr and coaching staff need to be more aware
    to this and protect his arm......

24. Likes:

topsyt (04-04-2024)

Frankie seems to have some good intangibles, as well. Seems like a good clubhouse guy and a good leader for younger guys.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

26. Likes:

chrisball96 (04-05-2024),goreds2 (04-04-2024),Roy Tucker (04-04-2024)

Turn Off Ads?