Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds and India agree to two year deal

Reds and India agree to two year deal

Gordon Wittenmyer
    @GDubMLB
    Reds avoid arbitration hearing with Jonathan India as the sides agree to terms on a two-year deal.

Deal pays $3.8m in 2024 salary, $5m in 2025. Escalators could take total to more than $10 million.

2. Likes:

Gallen5862 (02-10-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds and India agree to two year deal

What happened to their file and trial policy?
    Where we gonna go?

Guess he's not packing soon either

Cincinnati Reds, Jonathan India agree to 2-year, $8.8 million deal, avoid arbitration

The deal guarantees the 2021 Rookie of the Year $8.8 million with the possibility of earning escalators that could take the total to $10.85 million. The deal pays India $3.8 million in 2024 and $5 million in 2025.

Because India was in his first winter of arbitration eligibility, he would still be eligible for arbitration in 2026, barring an extension.

The team's second-most tenured position player is healthy as he enters camp.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...on/ar-BB1i3qiY

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

wait what
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Guess he's not packing soon either
    Probably true but cost certainty might make more marketable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-09-2024),BlackPete Ibold (02-09-2024),Chip R (02-12-2024),JCM11 (02-10-2024),Old school 1983 (02-10-2024),Revering4Blue (02-10-2024),RiverRat13 (02-09-2024),Tom Servo (02-09-2024)

Seems like the Reds are betting on India having a comeback season in 2024.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

malcontent (02-09-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I wonder if this was agent/India initiated and the Reds are willing to listen in those situations, and liked what they heard. I’m thinking they were ready for trial, and didn’t start these talks, but are flexible/smart enough not to completely close all doors

13. Likes:

JFLegal (02-09-2024)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Sounds a little like, India decided to take a month off and visit ancient European art colonies and told the Enquirer he was going to argue about his salary. After he got back to town, he called and said, "Sure, that's an OK deal."
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Ah - the famous “multi-year contract” exception.

I recall when the Reds adopted file and trial it was said to preclude one-year settlements.

The Reds would not normally pay that much if India was to be a fill-in type player.

They obviously plan on Jon playing as a regular or semi-regular.

I wonder if someone will be traded or sent to the minors to make room.

17. Likes:

mth123 (02-09-2024),REDREAD (02-09-2024),UPRedsFan (02-09-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds would not normally pay that much if India was to be a fill-in type player.

They obviously plan on Jon playing as a regular or semi-regular.

I wonder if someone will be traded or sent to the minors to make room.
    The total for both years, $8M is about what a backup infielder gets these days for one year. The fact that they guaranteed him a decent pay day next season tells me more about the Reds plans for India, than the amount he is getting paid.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

From Mark Sheldon

Entering 2024, India could see significant changes to his role.

Manager David Bell and president of baseball operations Nick Krall spoke with India during the offseason about his role amid an infield rotation involving up to six players for the four positions and DH.

With a deep infield that also features Matt McLain able to man second base, India could be used at other positions -- including first base, third base, left field and designated hitter.

Bell said on Jan. 24. "I think there’s been even a little more of a shift toward, 'I am going to do whatever I have to do to be on the field and to help our team win, whatever that takes.''

"He just wants to be on the field and in the lineup as much as possible.Obviously as a second baseman, but depending on how things shake out, to be able to get him on the field as much as he wants to be and as much as I want him to be, there may be other positions that he’ll need to play.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/jonathan-in...-two-year-deal

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The total for both years, $8M is about what a backup infielder gets these days for one year. The fact that they guaranteed him a decent pay day next season tells me more about the Reds plans for India, than the amount he is getting paid.
    $8.8 million guaranteed over two years, with $5 million in the second season. Plus $2.05 million in incentives based on playing time. Close to $11 million if incentives all come through.

This being the Reds, I don’t see this as a bench players’ contract.

And India would not have signed for two years unless he was told he’d get a meaningful opportunity (playing time).

I thought Jon would be traded, now I think somebody else is going to depart to open up some PAs for Jonathan. We’ll find out soon enough.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (02-09-2024),UPRedsFan (02-09-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What BU IF is getting 8 million bucks? Adam Frazier just signed for two years with a total worth of 4.5 million

Turn Off Ads?