Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    OPS. Of people assume work ethic based on results. I think he works hard and is trying to do things to improve.

Unfortunately his flaw is unfixable. He is not going to all of sudden be able to pick up the spin on the baseball to determine what type of pitch it is. People's eyesight and the ability to process what they are seeing just does not improve. He swings at high rate of pitches out of the zone and swings at a low in zone. He also saw fewest fastball percentage on the Reds. The league know his weakness now
    Dominican kids hit bottle caps with broomsticks when they are growing up. They are excellent at hitting the fastball. It takes them longer to develop hitting breaking pitches. This is what I was told by my sons pitching coach, who was drafted last year and will be in A ball in the Cardinals system this season. Maybe there is still some room for improvement there.

2. Likes:

wlf WV (03-03-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

OPS. Of people assume work ethic based on results. I think he works hard and is trying to do things to improve.

Unfortunately his flaw is unfixable. He is not going to all of sudden be able to pick up the spin on the baseball to determine what type of pitch it is. People's eyesight and the ability to process what they are seeing just does not improve. He swings at high rate of pitches out of the zone and swings at a low in zone. He also saw fewest fastball percentage on the Reds. The league know his weakness now
    I'm wondering how well this post will age.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

5. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-01-2024),NDRed (03-03-2024)

Sounds like what we need here are off-speed bottlecaps. brb, checking Amazon...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

7. Likes:

j.u.FAIRFIIELD (03-01-2024),Redhook (03-01-2024),Tuff Nut (03-01-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Sounds like what we need here are off-speed bottlecaps. brb, checking Amazon...
    Laugh all you want...but there is probably some truth to that coming from a guy who's life right now is devoted to the study of pitching and how to get these guys and others out. Also probably some truth that a younger 21 yr old/22 yr old may have room to still develop that particular skill further.
    Last edited by jwdoc77; 03-01-2024 at 10:00 AM.

9. Likes:

wlf WV (03-03-2024)

So, what you are saying, is that he is the next Jumbo Diaz?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (03-01-2024)

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    People have the right to show their view, even if is questionable. Everyone here thinks they know it all. But NONE of us actually do.
    I think we all know this.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    People have the right to their view. But if they show it, others have a right to criticize it.
    Did I say no one has the right to criticize? I am sure I didnít. But civility is sort of expected in the forum guidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

14. Likes:

mth123 (03-01-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    Dominican kids hit bottle caps with broomsticks when they are growing up. They are excellent at hitting the fastball. It takes them longer to develop hitting breaking pitches. This is what I was told by my sons pitching coach, who was drafted last year and will be in A ball in the Cardinals system this season. Maybe there is still some room for improvement there.
    That could be said for almost everybody. I'm pretty sure Little Leaguers aren't seeing a lot of breaking pitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Did I say no one has the right to criticize? I am sure I didn’t. But civility is sort of expected in the forum guidelines.

Not for nothing, but there’s a small epidemic on this board of people making nonsensical hot takes like, “Elly is selfish,” or “Senzel doesn’t love baseball,” or “David Bell isn’t hard enough on players,” that are based on absolutely nothing, and the moment someone pushes back, they say “stop attacking me!”

Everyone has the right to express their views. But it’s a discussion board. If your views can’t hold up to the tiniest scrutiny, maybe it’s better to keep them to yourself?

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-03-2024),Bourgeois Zee (03-01-2024),j.u.FAIRFIIELD (03-01-2024),membengal (03-01-2024),Redsfaithful (03-01-2024),Ron Madden (03-01-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Aren't you the Louis Castillo=Jumbo Diaz guy?
    This where people misunderstand things. I said they threw with the same velocity and spin rate.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    So, what you are saying, is that he is the next Jumbo Diaz?
    This is where I think people are over the top in their takes. At the time jumbos fb was the closest to castillo in MLB with velocity and spin. Just because a pitch is similar does not mean they are the same in talent. Just like EDLC is not the same as Aquino in talent but they have the same issue in the batters box as far as putting bat on ball.

Critical thinking seems to be a major here Just like in society. I repeatedly backed the value of Billy Hamilton and EDLC brings a lot of the value with his speed on the basepath. I am not sure about his defensive value at short. Some numbers like drs and uzr hate his d at short.

I know a lot on here are use to the analytics. But it is going to take massive improvement for EDLC to hit hit 230 and get on base at .310. His Statcast data is very bad.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Did I say no one has the right to criticize? I am sure I didnít. But civility is sort of expected in the forum guidelines.

From now on I'll be sure to message you on here before I post, just to make sure I'm living up to your personal standards.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

470 for home run

https://www.mlb.com/video/elly-de-la...id_video-share

Note he used the new, lower leg kick. That should boost his confidence.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

23. Likes:

dreghorntwo (03-03-2024),Ron Madden (03-02-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    470 for home run

https://www.mlb.com/video/elly-de-la...id_video-share

Note he used the new, lower leg kick. That should boost his confidence.
    Also, two walks.

Elly on base three times today.

25. Likes:

Cherokee (03-03-2024),dreghorntwo (03-03-2024),Ron Madden (03-02-2024)

Turn Off Ads?