Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    McLain is probably the best SS right now, but he's also the best 2B, and there's a bigger difference between McLain and India than McLain and Elly.
    Yes and De La Cruz is not a second baseman, so McLain is the best player at that position.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 03-04-2024 at 05:39 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hate to ruin the movie but the stats say He is not a good defender at ss and not a good hitter. After the all star break last year he was bad at the plate basically Berrero
    Last edited by InsaneinthBrame; 03-04-2024 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I hate to ruin the movie but the stays say He is not a good defender at ss and not a good hitter. After the all star break last year he was bad at the plate basically Berrero
    Vanishingly few people are as big and strong and fast as Elly. He’s in the 99th percentile of the 99th percentile.

It’s entirely possible he never puts it all together. There’s plenty of precedent for that. But if you actually see him play baseball, you understand that he has to potential to be the best player on the planet.

I don’t understand the need to throw cold water. Either you’re wrong and everyone thinks you’re dumb or you’re right and no one cares cuz we suck anyway.

5. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-05-2024),membengal (03-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Vanishingly few people are as big and strong and fast as Elly. He’s in the 99th percentile of the 99th percentile.

It’s entirely possible he never puts it all together. There’s plenty of precedent for that. But if you actually see him play baseball, you understand that he has to potential to be the best player on the planet.

I don’t understand the need to throw cold water. Either you’re wrong and everyone thinks you’re dumb or you’re right and no one cares cuz we suck anyway.
    I get everything you say his physical skills are off the chart but baseball is not about physical skills but about skills. Elly is weak in actual skill. Hitting is a real skill. Look at a player like Billy Hamilton or deion sanders

I hate to ruin the movie but the stats say He is not a good defender at ss and not a good hitter. After the all star break last year he was bad at the plate basically Berrero
    I think we get your point, you think he's the suck, understood.

8. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-05-2024),Cherokee (03-05-2024),JustaFan (03-05-2024),membengal (03-05-2024),Puffy (03-05-2024),Ron Madden (03-05-2024),SunDeck (03-05-2024)

As much of disaster edlc was last year in the second half I believe he can be league average rc+

I get everything you say his physical skills are off the chart but baseball is not about physical skills but about skills. Elly is weak in actual skill. Hitting is a real skill. Look at a player like Billy Hamilton or deion sanders
    You’re comparing 80 mph exit velo dudes to a guy who can hit a baseball 500 feet. Billy Hamilton?

Dude…

I think Elly will figure out the off-speed stuff.

He's young, he has 99.99 percentile athletic talent, and he has access to the best training/resources available.

It is true though... none of that matters if he can't hit a breaking ball.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

Dave C (03-05-2024)

I'm in the camp that he'll figure it out. He's gotten here on athletic talent. He needs to let his fundamentals catch up and learn the how pitchers will pitch him. I expect and up and down 2nd season with a strong finish.

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-05-2024)

I am a little lower than the majority on EDLC, but I think that he will add so much value on defense and on the basepaths they he'll still be a productive regular even if he "disappoints" a bit at the plate. But even "just" an average overall bat with above-average D and elite baserunning is a valuable player starting at SS and hitting ~7th.

Basically, something that Billy Hamilton only dreamed about. Heck, EDLC will probably hit more HR's next season than Hamilton has in his career.

And obviously there is more upside than that under the hood.

16. Likes:

757690 (03-05-2024),mth123 (03-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    I'm in the camp that he'll figure it out. He's gotten here on athletic talent. He needs to let his fundamentals catch up and learn the how pitchers will pitch him. I expect and up and down 2nd season with a strong finish.
    I'm in that camp as well. The question is when. I'm becoming more optimistic that it will be 2024. If that happens, I'll have to increase my win prediction from the 85 or so that I've been guessing. I've been thinking it would take until 2025 before he breaks out, but what we've seen this spring is a reason for optimism.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

It is true though... none of that matters if he can't hit a breaking ball.
    Has someone called Jobu?

I like Elly at 3rd base myself. With the SS playing up the middle on LHH, his range allows him to cover a ton of dirt.

Or CF of course.

20. Likes:

Chip R (03-06-2024),REDREAD (03-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I have not read every page of this thread, but it is one of the wackiest I've seen on Redszone. Bashing Cincy' kid Ron Oester, comparing Jones and ED?

ED was a star when Jones was trying to break in. Back then, when vets were more valued and less expensive, and rookies were given a couple hundred ABs to acclimate, Davis was given time his first two seasons to learn major league pitching. Davis did struggle his first year, 1984, a year in which former 1st round draftee Duane Walker was breaking out, or so it seemed to me, OPS above .900. I remember being a Walker guy and it was exciting. I also remember the announcers going on and on about Davis' bat speed. Two years later, Davis breaks out for real and Walker is in Texas having been dealt for another Cincy kid, Buddy Bell. Ok Oester wasn't great, but many 2b were weak hitting back then. Tom Lawless wasn't going to beat him out.
    Exactly, OESTER! wasn't great (in fact he was completely disposable) and got red carpet treatment. Also, Davis constantly got picked apart. I don't care how much you've tried to repress it, it happened. Meanwhile, wholly meh players like Jones got lionized. He put up that .349 BA in 1986 and people became convinced he was going to be re-Pete, the guy who did everything the right way. Turned out to be a one-hit wonder. Larger point being, if you're going to be the best or most outrageously talented player on the Reds, it comes with a bullseye. If you want the media and a large section of fans to pretend you're the heartbeat of the team, then it's best to be sorta crap at baseball.
    Last edited by M2; 03-05-2024 at 10:50 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

Chip R (03-06-2024),membengal (03-05-2024),Ron Madden (03-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    I like Elly at 3rd base myself. With the SS playing up the middle on LHH, his range allows him to cover a ton of dirt.

Or CF of course.
    He seems a bit wasted at 3B, but if Arroyo is for real....an EDLC - Arroyo - McLain infield would be insane.

24. Likes:

wlf WV (03-05-2024)

Turn Off Ads?