Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

That is 4 of us on this page agreeing he is guessing .
    May the Lord bless

2. Turn Off Ads?

It’s way too early to even be looking at numbers for this season.

With that said, he has definitely been caught guessing more than a few times so far. Not sure what answer is, hopefully he starts seeing the ball better. I get the bunting thing, but having someone with his power bunt all the time is pretty silly. I think once a game is fine. Hopefully he starts making more contact as the weather warms up. We’ve never seen him play in 50 degree crappy weather.

I just hope the coaches pushing “be more patient be more patient be more patient” isn’t ruining him, I’d rather he just go out there and see ball hit ball. If you’re going to bust, go down swinging, not looking.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

With the caveat that RTG is correct that it's too early to look at numbers... his called strike percentage is 15%. It was 18% last year. I think a couple of at bats last night where he watched fastballs in the zone go by him for strikes is skewing the conversation. But again, it's way too early to make assumptions that he has or hasn't changed his approach.

Elly De La Cruz

It may be early, but his strikeout ratio is alarming so far and he is obviously still having trouble laying off of breaking balls and/or bad pitches. Like others have said, that’s probably because he’s guessing and guessing wrong more often than not. At 22 years young, his pitch recognition is definitely lacking, but that’s not unusual.

Love the kids attitude though and hoping he gets things figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LiferJim; 04-02-2024 at 06:10 PM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

He's got 10Ks through the 2nd inning tonight. That's half of his Ks in just the last game and 2 innings. It's a little alarming he's kinda carried over the end of last year but he's still really good. I'm rooting hard for him
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    He's got 10Ks through the 2nd inning tonight. That's half of his Ks in just the last game and 2 innings. It's a little alarming he's kinda carried over the end of last year but he's still really good. I'm rooting hard for him
    Paul DeJong has 7 K's in 9 PA's... so in essence it could be worse!

8. Likes:

DGullett35 (04-02-2024)

Elly needs to be in the outfield. Either his demeanor or ability does not translate to shortstop or the infield.

I'm over it.
    “As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves.”
    -- Ken Griffey, Jr.

Elly i thought learned pitch recognition from Soto, He swings at everything below the zone...Then takes a straight fastball in the hitting zone.. Frustrates me the hitting coach isnt in his ear

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Elly i thought learned pitch recognition from Soto, He swings at everything below the zone...Then takes a straight fastball in the hitting zone.. Frustrates me the hitting coach isnt in his ear
    In this super sensitive coddling of athletes era we're in, no one wants to be the guy who holds people accountable. In the olden days, it was different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Right now he's not "really good" at anything. Tonight he didn't look all that fast on the way to 1st base, maybe something going on. His motor was bad.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    In this super sensitive coddling of athletes era we're in, no one wants to be the guy who holds people accountable. In the olden days, it was different.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now he's not "really good" at anything. Tonight he didn't look all that fast on the way to 1st base, maybe something going on. His motor was bad.
    What would be a good example of something from then that would/could be done to make him accountable ?

13. Likes:

Cherokee (04-04-2024),Coopdaddy67 (04-02-2024),LeatherPants (04-03-2024),ochoa30 (04-02-2024),Ron Madden (04-02-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Elly needs to be in the outfield. Either his demeanor or ability does not translate to shortstop or the infield.

I'm over it.
    He's a good third baseman IMO. I don't think he's going to stick at SS long term. Marte, McLain, and Arroyo being out buys him some time at SS.

15. Likes:

Chip R (04-03-2024)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    What would be a good example of something from then that would/could be done to make him accountable ?
    Digging a moat around GABP, filling it with sea monsters, and throwing Elly into it.

It’s what Sweet Lou would’ve done, and then he would’ve tossed the first base bag in right after him.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 04-02-2024 at 09:42 PM.

17. Likes:

Redhook (04-02-2024),Ron Madden (04-02-2024),SteelSD (04-02-2024),wally post (04-02-2024),westofyou (04-02-2024)

Willie Mays was coddled by Leo Durocher all the time. Sparky said he had two set of rules for the superstars and the rest. Now they sure performed to basically not make it an issue. But until this game we have not seen any sign of lollygagging or blasé play from him. So now he deserves to be what? Put in his place?

I was at the Dodger game when Barry Larkin made about 3 errors. 2 in the ninth right before Jeff freaking Hamilton homered to win a game in 1988. Barry would look so smooth and nonchalant sometimes to give off that same vibe that he wasn’t trying. Also BS. And good thing no one taught him a lesson. I call it the George Hendrick affect. He looked like he wasn’t trying or didn’t care. Which was BS. Elly has never looked like that either.

19. Likes:

Chip R (04-03-2024),Ron Madden (04-02-2024),wally post (04-02-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I think they want him to hold a sign outside of GABP with "I'm sorry I made an error(s)" on it.

21. Likes:

Chip R (04-03-2024),Ron Madden (04-02-2024)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    He's a good third baseman IMO. I don't think he's going to stick at SS long term. Marte, McLain, and Arroyo being out buys him some time at SS.
    They’re running Benson out there in CF between Steer and Fraley, imo obvious answer is that he should be in CF. But not until he gets consistent at the plate.

23. Likes:

UK Reds Fan (04-03-2024)

Turn Off Ads?