Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I honestly don't understand what you and I are disagreeing about
    Nothing. Read my posts again from the perspective that I am agreeing with you. Because I am.

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (04-17-2024),Sea Ray (04-17-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I didn't say anything about being overly optimistic, so I don't know what you're talking about there. I said it's a bad idea to make up your mind. That's not the same thing.

And it's bad in terms of a discussion forum like this. If you make up your mind one way or another before a player becomes whatever they become, you're not really discussing reality, you're saying things based on whatever determination you made before you had enough evidence to make that determination.
    Here's the problem with this line of thinking on a fan message board:

It's the same fallacy when talking about teams wins/losses, players, really anything that has a beginning and end.

Early on it's all "you can't make up your mind one way or another before a player becomes whatever they become", or "too small sample size" or whatever.

Ok, fine.

But then when the same topic is brought up after enough data is in, this viewpoint pivots to:

"Well, no point in beating a dead horse. It is what it is."

Bottom line is, "discussion framing" requirements like these on a fan message board, are usually just a thinly veiled way of telling people their opinions aren't as valid as others (usually because they disagree with said opinion).
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 04-17-2024 at 12:08 PM.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

5. Likes:

loudangry (04-17-2024),NebraskaRed (04-17-2024),OldFashionedRed (04-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Nothing. Read my posts again from the perspective that I am agreeing with you. Because I am.
    Some of this dialogue is example of violent agreement
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-18-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

It's the same fallacy when talking about teams wins/losses, players, really anything that has a beginning and end.

Early on it's all "you can't make up your mind one way or another before a player becomes whatever they become", or "too small sample size" or whatever.

Ok, fine.

But then when the same topic is brought up after enough data is in, this viewpoint pivots to:

Bottom line is, "discussion framing" requirements like these on a fan message board, are usually just a thinly veiled way of telling people their opinions aren't as valid as others (usually because they disagree with said opinion).
    Ok fine, let me lift the veil: an opinion is valid if I agree with it, and if I change my mind, it's no longer valid unless/until I change my mind again.

9. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Say the letters out loud.
    Itís still lame IMO.

11. Likes:

Mitri (04-17-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    It’s still lame IMO.
    I'm agnostic to it, but it's origin is fairly straightforward.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Is it true Elly was the only Reds player who got on the flight to Seattle?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

757690 (04-17-2024),Bourgeois Zee (04-18-2024),Mitri (04-17-2024),ochoa30 (04-17-2024),Patrick Bateman (04-18-2024),pedro (04-17-2024),Tom Servo (04-17-2024),westofyou (04-17-2024)

From what I saw yes

Heads and shoulders above everyone else on the field

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Ok, fine.

Bob, THANK YOU!

I always chuckle at "plenty of season yet" or "he always starts slow". Bottom line, everyone else plays the same amount of season and are at the same point of their season as the Reds, and the Reds are hanging on by a thread. What's it going to take for ownership to own up to this?
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Heads and shoulders above everyone else on the field
    Figuratively and literally.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-18-2024)

Elly De La Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Bob, THANK YOU!

I always chuckle at "plenty of season yet" or "he always starts slow". Bottom line, everyone else plays the same amount of season and are at the same point of their season as the Reds, and the Reds are hanging on by a thread. What's it going to take for ownership to own up to this?
    Laughing hard at this, 11% of the season... a thread?
    Last edited by westofyou; 04-18-2024 at 12:12 AM.

20. Likes:

CaiGuy (04-18-2024),Cherokee (04-18-2024),cumberlandreds (04-18-2024),dubc47834 (04-18-2024),GAC (04-18-2024),KeefeCato (04-18-2024),OesterPoster (04-22-2024),Ron Madden (04-18-2024)

I thought Abbott played pretty well
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-18-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I thought Abbott played pretty well
    Best pitching the team had in Seattle, two mistake pitches, but really good today

24. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-18-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Laughing hard at this, 11% of the season... a thread?
    And they are .500. I mean, the Stros are 6-14 and I still expect them to be in the thick of it come September.

The Cardinals are worse than the Reds. I wonder if reds fans consider them hanging by a thread?

With the injuries to Friedl and McLain alongside Marte being an idiot my expectations for this year have been tempered, however it is April 17th, we are like 3 weeks into the 6 month long season lol.

Before Bob chimes in with meta commentary on message board posting, I’m not saying folks can’t say whatever - I’ve said quite a few hot takes myself, but to say the team is hanging by a thread or cooked or whatever on April 17th is just silly.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

26. Likes:

Cherokee (04-18-2024),dubc47834 (04-18-2024),KeefeCato (04-18-2024),Ron Madden (04-18-2024),westofyou (04-18-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And they are .500. I mean, the Stros are 6-14 and I still expect them to be in the thick of it come September.

The Cardinals are worse than the Reds. I wonder if reds fans consider them hanging by a thread?

With the injuries to Friedl and McLain alongside Marte being an idiot my expectations for this year have been tempered, however it is April 17th, we are like 3 weeks into the 6 month long season lol.

Before Bob chimes in with meta commentary on message board posting, Iím not saying folks canít say whatever - Iíve said quite a few hot takes myself, but to say the team is hanging by a thread or cooked or whatever on April 17th is just silly.
    Agreed, 11% of anything is not enough to make a decent evaluation of anything, but add in the injuries and I can't imagine that ownership needs to step to the podium and say... we blew it, who needs 23 more weeks of baseball anyway?

28. Likes:

Cherokee (04-18-2024),KeefeCato (04-18-2024),Ron Madden (04-18-2024)

Turn Off Ads?