Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I mean...yes. All this. Anyone ANYONE on this board of a certain age knows this is exactly how it went down. You can tick off the HS graduating years to know where people are gonna fall on this. Watkins Memorial class of '88 and I PROMISE you all, the hate for ED who struck out too much and didn't hustle correctly and wore chains and a buncha other things was...a thing. It just was. And, I also promise you all Tracy Jones was beloved by a certain set - gritty hustle and what not. Couldn't hold a candle as a hitter to Kal Daniels but...yeah. And, also, folks here are right about how much **** Paul O'Neill took too. He didn't hit for as much power as people thought he should given his size. People do like to complain, but ED took a TON of bleep and some of it was, despite what BobS wants to admit, absolutely rooted in race. Without question. I could cite more examples like TRF did. SO many awkward comments from adults at church and what not.
    A lot of that stuff was so noisy it bled into the Sporting News. When I was in college during those years, I knew some Reds fans who'd get to Boston after a summer in Cincinnati and be amazed at how much everyone liked ED.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Chip R (02-29-2024),membengal (02-28-2024),Ron Madden (02-29-2024),wlf WV (02-29-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Iíd like to think itís just a vocal minority of dimwitted fans, itís an annual tradition in Reds country. And yes, racism has a lot to do with it, donít get it twisted. Things are better now but it still exists. And just because the same type of fan crapped on Votto over the years (or praised Dave Parker) doesnít mean this doesnít track.
    Those fans invented the idea Votto was gay so they could bash him for that
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Chip R (02-29-2024),membengal (02-29-2024),Mitri (02-28-2024)

Going into 1986 Eric was not even hitting as good as Cruz was last year. He did strike out a lot by those standards though of 1984-85. A lot of people in the game or fans were not very patient with hitters who struck out at those rates. You think Dave Kingman was well liked. Schmidt would still get booed if he went into slumps.

Davis and that whole team started 8-20 in 1986 and Eric hit better but did not turn into the Eric Davis until about June. Eric was hyped up big time and looked like it for most of 1987. I loved him and I liked Tracey Jones. He looked great in 1987.

Do people dislike him because racist old people liked him because he looked like them and hustled? Thatís not his fault. Even if he was arrogant. Also he was just as injury prone as Eric could be. I understood better later how brittle Ericís body was. His build was just not made to sustain the way he played. The guy had colon cancer before he was 40. That tells you something about how brittle his body was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    O'Neill could do nothing right, to many Red fans of that era. (At least those in northern Kentucky.)

I can remember one of the guys at our church insisting O'Neill was a football player who happened to play baseball. He was sure the guy was destined to be a flash in the pan.

Oops.
    I, on the other hand, remember lots of folks in Northern Kentucky thinking O’Neill could do no wrong back then.

Now that I think about it though, they all happened to be female.
    Last edited by Brisco; 02-28-2024 at 09:54 PM.

8. Likes:

M2 (02-28-2024),Old school 1983 (02-29-2024),TRF (02-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Some folks need to activate their sarcasm detectors when reading this thread.
    Is that really on us to do? I/Anyone shouldn't have to decipher post after post after post ad nauseum. is that what this site is about? There's beating a dead horse schtick and then there's this. Even FCB isn't as bad as that.

But hey, that's why he's the first person on my blocked list.

10. Likes:

membengal (02-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Is that really on us to do? I/Anyone shouldn't have to decipher post after post after post ad nauseum. is that what this site is about? There's beating a dead horse schtick and then there's this. Even FCB isn't as bad as that.

But hey, that's why he's the first person on my blocked list.
    I also have difficulty deciphering posts written by people on my ignore list. I'm beginning to suspect it might have something to do with the lack of text being displayed, but I'm still researching that.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

12. Likes:

TRF (02-29-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

How do you watch this, and believe the guy belongs anywhere but on a major league field?

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

BoxingRed (02-29-2024),Old school 1983 (02-29-2024),Ron Madden (02-29-2024)

RedsZone is always so weird

16. Likes:

Chip R (02-29-2024),Kilgore_Trout (02-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonoffrost View Post
    Waffle house is a one stop every trip south of the Mason Dixon line for me.
    Biscuitville says hello.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You are under the misconception that one frequents the Waffle House because of the quality of the food. The many posts following yours explains the real draw of the Waffle House.
    And when I was much younger I use to be in that "situation" quite a bit. It's the type of food you can only consume if partially incoherent with double vision. Most will eat anything at 2 AM. And have (lol).

Does Elly eat at Waffle House? I read once where Joe DiMaggio enjoys Dinky Donuts.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Biscuitville says hello.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-29-2024),SunDeck (02-29-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    RedsZone is always so weird
    Maybe. But it's certainly not the wierdest website I visit.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There is like 4 of these alone in Beckley WV. They like their biscuits in Beckley.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

24. Likes:

GAC (02-29-2024),marcshoe (02-29-2024),Old school 1983 (02-29-2024),wlf WV (02-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    There is like 4 of these alone in Beckley WV. They like their biscuits in Beckley.
    They finally crossed the Ohia River, and have one in Gallipolis. My son and I love'em.

26. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-29-2024),wlf WV (02-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They originated here in Huntington WV by John Tudor, a franchise in 1980 cost $25,000. He worked daily at the location on Hal Greer for many years.

My brother in law says that the biscuits are big as hubcaps.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 02-29-2024 at 08:54 AM.
    May the Lord bless

28. Likes:

GAC (03-01-2024)

Turn Off Ads?