Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLB Expansion Rumors: 'Radical Realignment' to be Considered for 32-Team League

Re: MLB Expansion Rumors: 'Radical Realignment' to be Considered for 32-Team League

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    What happens if Nashville gets an expansion team?
    The other teams that want cities to build ballparks for them won't be able to threaten to move to Nashville if there's a team there.
    They need to be careful what they wish for. But there is not a "wealth" of cities in the continental US.
    Looks like Portland, Salt Lake City, San Antonio/Austin, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh and Montreal are all somewhat to extremely interested.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: MLB Expansion Rumors: 'Radical Realignment' to be Considered for 32-Team League

Any realignment with 4-team divisions would be a mess.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Any realignment with 4-team divisions would be a mess.
    Yep.

If they pick one team in the southeast (or Austin) and one team out west, four 8-team divisions could work, but I'm guessing Chicago and St. Louis would have to break up.

Four-team divisions are... Ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    but I'm guessing Chicago and St. Louis would have to break up.
    There is a zero percent chance of that happening.

7. Likes:

Chip R (02-23-2024),Old school 1983 (02-24-2024)

"Joy To The World" is playing in the background.

MLB talking about expansion is hilarious given the situation in Oakland (does Vegas even want them?) along with many other questions such as the Rays' ballpark situation, etc.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    MLB talking about expansion is hilarious given the situation in Oakland (does Vegas even want them?) along with many other questions such as the Rays' ballpark situation, etc.
    5-6 billion dollars in expansion fees will make everyone happy.

I think Montreal is a non starter for expansion, nobody will want anything to do with Olympic stadium even temporarily, I think MLB sees it as the alternative for the Rays if their parking lot stadium fails.
    Go Gators!

12. Likes:

mth123 (02-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    5-6 billion dollars in expansion fees will make everyone happy.

I think Montreal is a non starter for expansion, nobody will want anything to do with Olympic stadium even temporarily, I think MLB sees it as the alternative for the Rays if their parking lot stadium fails.
    It's still amazing they are talking about expansion when (at least) 2 of their current franchises are complete jokes when it comes to attendance. Just relocate those teams.

I will say that having a set up of 4 8 team divisions or 8 4 team division is not radical. Having 11 divisions of 1 to 9 teams each would be radical.

Boston Division-
    Red Sox

NY Division-
    Yankees
    Mets

So California Division (two teams advance to playoffs)
    Dodgers
    Padres
    Angels

other West
    Giants
    A's
    Mariners
    Rockies
    D Backs

Texas

Astros
    Rangers

Teams that have played in Milwaukee
    Braves
    Brewers

Team to lose to Yankees in playoffs

Minnesota
    Rays

Chicago divisio
    n
    Cubs
    White Sox

Best Fans in Baseball, nay the world, nay the universe division
    Cardinals

Mid-Atlantic
    Phillies
    Orioles

Teams that you pay to play at your homecoming weekend home game division
    Reds
    Tigers
    Pirates
    Montreal
    Cleveland
    Nationals
    Marlins
    Royals
    Charlotte/Nashville

Edit: Except for the SO Cal division, the winner of each division advances to the playoffs. No wildcards mean 12 playoff teams. First Round Byes given to winners of Boston, NY, Chicago and So Cal divisions. Those four get top four seeds by overall record. Other 8 teams get seeded by committee using criteria based on record, ESPN game ratings, merchandise sales, and number of followers for Team social media pages. Each round is best of 7. Two commissioners- One for primary 7 divisions, Phil Castellini commish for Other West Division and Teams that you pay to play at your homecoming weekend home game Division.
    Last edited by klw; 02-23-2024 at 11:48 AM.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

15. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-23-2024),Hypnotoad (02-23-2024),j.u.FAIRFIIELD (02-23-2024),M2 (02-23-2024),Revering4Blue (02-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    It's still amazing they are talking about expansion when (at least) 2 of their current franchises are complete jokes when it comes to attendance. Just relocate those teams.
    I think this fits within chew gum and walk territory. I wouldn't let the 26-year mess in St. Petersburg keep me from making a few billion. The Rays will either get sorted out to where they are or slot into one of the runnerup locations in the expansion bidding.

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I will say that having a set up of 4 8 team divisions or 8 4 team division is not radical. Having 11 divisions of 1 to 9 teams each would be radical.

Boston Division-
    Red Sox

NY Division-
    Yankees
    Mets

So California Division (two teams advance to playoffs)
    Dodgers
    Padres
    Angels

other West
    Giants
    A's
    Mariners
    Rockies
    D Backs

Texas

Astros
    Rangers

Teams that have played in Milwaukee
    Braves
    Brewers

Team to lose to Yankees in playoffs

Minnesota
    Rays

Chicago divisio
    n
    Cubs
    White Sox

Best Fans in Baseball, nay the world, nay the universe division
    Cardinals

Mid-Atlantic
    Phillies
    Orioles

Teams that you pay to play at your homecoming weekend home game division
    Reds
    Tigers
    Pirates
    Montreal
    Cleveland
    Nationals
    Marlins
    Royals
    Charlotte/Nashville
    You need a Nashville division for all the teams that intend to move there unless they get $785,000,000 for stadium upgrades and craft beer plazas.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-23-2024)

Aristocratic Hoosier

I find the geography requirement somewhat tedious, but it wants to apply itself here. In a 4-team division with radical realignment of the leagues, Chicago Cubs and Sox, St. Louis, Milwaukee is a nice packet since the fans travel well inside that map.

Adding the Reds to that would also be OK, seeing as how the Cards and Cubs bring a lot of colors to GABP. Beyond that, though, you start getting into 6-team divisions and the goal is either 4 or 8. Conceivably, Cleveland is a good fit based on its perceived link to Cincy, then back to Chicago. But does that include the Twins, who are closer to Milwaukee? Or the Tigers, who can reach Chicago easily as well as Cleveland? Pittsburgh would mix well with Detroit for games nobody cares about.

But some of those fan bases don't travel as well as others. The Cubs and Cardinals are notable because they have huge fan bases that have sustained their markets. It's easier to drive 3 hours for Cubs fans to get to Cincy than it is to find decent tickets at Wiggly Field. Pirates fans might come out of the cave if they decide to make a run at .500.

There aren't a lot of alternatives if geographic divisional setups are the goal. Time zones matter a little but 3 of the 5 teams in the NL-C are in the Central zone anyhow.
    Last edited by j.u.FAIRFIIELD; 02-23-2024 at 10:50 AM.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    What happens if Nashville gets an expansion team?
    The other teams that want cities to build ballparks for them won't be able to threaten to move to Nashville if there's a team there.
    They need to be careful what they wish for. But there is not a "wealth" of cities in the continental US.
    I think that's what the article in the post immediately above you was written to do: get people used to the idea that Nashville will get an expansion team, but existing teams can look to move to Austin instead.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think that's what the article in the post immediately above you was written to do: get people used to the idea that Nashville will get an expansion team, but existing teams can look to move to Austin instead.
    I wonder how Houston and the Rangers would feel about Austin getting a team?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder how Houston and the Rangers would feel about Austin getting a team?
    They would be fine but only if the Austin team had the nickname "Powers"

Yeah Baby!
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

23. Likes:

Chip R (02-23-2024),cumberlandreds (02-23-2024),M2 (02-23-2024),Revering4Blue (02-23-2024),WrongVerb (02-23-2024)

Turn Off Ads?