Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

And we're getting Friedl back in a couple weeks, then Marte late May.

You don't panic in April, unless you're 3-22.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

I’m sure it’s a typo, but Marte returns in late June.

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-30-2024)

Each time Friedl came back from injuries in the minors, he consistently needed about a month before getting back to normal, but then he consistently went beyond normal. Just saying that we should expect Friedl's first month back to look more like a .225/.280/.340/.620 line, and then to see it explode once he gets his health and groove back to .340/.430/.555/.985 for the next month, and then settle back into the .285/.365/.475/.840 player that he should be at this stage of his career projectory.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

Redhook (05-01-2024),REDREAD (05-01-2024)

April 30: 1B Christian Encarnacion-Strand has clean MRI

The MRI exam on Encarnacion-Strand’s left hand showed no serious issues, manager David Bell said. Encarnacion-Strand, who was hit on the hand by a pitch on Saturday, took batting practice on the field on Tuesday. Catcher Tyler Stephenson also took BP on the field for the first time since he was hit on the right hand by a pitch on Saturday.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-i...d-roster-moves

8. Likes:

Cherokee (05-01-2024),Redhook (05-01-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Can't panic in April.
    It's not panicking to make a logical trade when the team has identified a weakness.
    No one is proposing to give up our top 10 prospects for a 40 year old starting pitcher that is on the last year of his contract. Just a sensible trade to pick up a bat, a guy that will be useful all year, even when people are healthy.

I mean, the alternative is to just watch the season slip away and then in June/July say "well, we're so far back, it doesn't really make sense to make a trade now". Note: the season has not slipped away yet, but the team really does not look like a contender right now, even if they are 16-14 now and might have the last wildcard.

Now realistically, Reds aren't going to do anything significant, even at the trade deadline, I was just speaking hypothetically.

- - - Updated - - -

The season is basically over if you're at 3-22 now. Not sure what your point is. Why wait until the team is behind the 8 ball to make some moves.

Reds need more than Marte and Friedl getting healthy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

They won’t even bring up someone to replace Bubba. You can’t tell me you could not better productive AB than him especially when the offense is becoming a one man show. They carry Bubba like the 76 Reds carried Joel Youngblood. A luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's not panicking to make a logical trade when the team has identified a weakness.
    No one is proposing to give up our top 10 prospects for a 40 year old starting pitcher that is on the last year of his contract. Just a sensible trade to pick up a bat, a guy that will be useful all year, even when people are healthy.

I mean, the alternative is to just watch the season slip away and then in June/July say "well, we're so far back, it doesn't really make sense to make a trade now". Note: the season has not slipped away yet, but the team really does not look like a contender right now, even if they are 16-14 now and might have the last wildcard.

Now realistically, Reds aren't going to do anything significant, even at the trade deadline, I was just speaking hypothetically.

- - - Updated - - -

The season is basically over if you're at 3-22 now. Not sure what your point is. Why wait until the team is behind the 8 ball to make some moves.

If the playoffs began today, the REDS are in.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-01-2024)

Reds are probably going to stand pat since CES, Stephenson, Fraley and Friedl will likely be back soon.

I could see making an internal swap to bring up a hot AAA hitter. But I doubt we’re going to see any trades of significance at this stage.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-03-2024),Revering4Blue (05-02-2024),Ron Madden (05-01-2024)

May 1: 1B Christian Encarnacion-Strand, C Tyler Stephenson near action

For the fourth consecutive game on Wednesday, neither Encarnacion-Strand nor Stephenson were in the Reds’ starting lineup.

Neither have played since being hit by pitches on Saturday, Encarnacion-Strand on his left hand and Stephenson on his right hand. Reds manager David Bell said that the injured list is not a consideration for either.

“I think they’re pretty close,” Bell said. “With the off-day [Thursday], I would imagine both guys will start on Friday.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-i...d-roster-moves

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If the playoffs began today, the REDS are in.
    One game over 500, with the O's coming in.

And the Mets and Nats are only 1/2 game behind the Reds, so they are great teams too, by your logic?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m sure it’s a typo, but Marte returns in late June.
    It was. He comes back right before the break. Don't know where I got May; but some will probably tell me! lol
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    My point was simply illustrating some of the Red's disasterous first month starts over the last decade ... 3-22 was just a generalized number I pulled out of my head ... and that we were out of it before the season began (lol).

That's not been so last season and this season.

I don't know. Getting those two back - and taking players like Fairchild and Espinal out of this starting lineup - would be a boost IMO.

And getting back to the first month of play (April). It's not a good month for a lot of players, including the good ones. Look at the Yank's Judd. I look back at ST nowadays. How much playing time are your regulars getting that is required to get one in shape for the season? Or are they exercising more caution in ST to lower the risks of injury before the season starts? It's like many take the month of April to get into any type of "rhythm".

This team got hit pretty hard with key injuries early, as well as a suspension. They've battled other nagging injuries as well as illness that took out a few guys.

And yet they came out of April only a couple games back and above .500.

A lot of baseball left to be played. As the weather heats up, so do many of the players
    Last edited by GAC; 05-02-2024 at 07:16 AM.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (05-02-2024),Revering4Blue (05-02-2024),SirFelixCat (05-02-2024)

The way I look at it is this roster as designed back in the off season had India, Candelario and Benson/Fraley in depth/rotation/bench roles. Those guys have not only had to play everyday, two of them have missed time from illness.

In the long run, this is a very good team IF/when healthy.

This was the year Krall needed to see who emerged from the cohort that came up last year. We are seeing the "big three" possibly living up to that billing and Elly possibly erupting into an MVP caliber player. The rest are decimated by injury and illness right now. It's frustrating but not worrisome.

21. Likes:

GAC (05-03-2024),Ron Madden (05-02-2024),SirFelixCat (05-02-2024)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    We are seeing the "big three" possibly living up to that billing and Elly possibly erupting into an MVP caliber player.
    Who are the big three?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Candelario was signed as an everyday player. He needs to be in the lineup Dsily but has not performed well yet.

Turn Off Ads?