Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
    Again, not saying the Reds are better than the Phillies, just pointing out that the Phillies struggled when Harper wasn’t on the roster.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Maybe it’s the old grumpy man in me, but I am pretty much done with the injury excuse for any sports team I follow.

We see teams overcome injuries to make playoff runs every year. Good teams build rosters with depth, healthier players or some combination of both.

The Reds are not one of these teams.
    Especially when you can objectively demonstrate that over the span of a couple seasons that the Reds have NOT in any way been an outlier in regards to team health vs. MLB. They are an outlier in talent. That's it.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    A .580 win percentage moving forward?

Good luck with that I guess.
    That would be a black swan event to wipe out all future black swan events. I'll sooner swim to Mars.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

6. Likes:

REDREAD (05-29-2024)

Y
    This is what losing seasons become. More injuries piled on. Players finding ways to get hurt or just decide not to try and play through them. 1989. 1991. 1993. Those teams had more actual verified talent that was proven though. I said this as soon as Nick went on DL. When he comes back. Pitches health free for what? 4 starts? See if Baltimore wants to trade one of their ready hitters who can’t crack the starting team or some other team who can part with a cost controlled RH hitter. Or more like years controlled then cost is what I meant.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (05-29-2024)

I don’t think the Reds will make the playoffs this season. It feels like a cursed season.

However, if this team gets Marte, CES and Friedl back in month, and McLain for the last month, with the extremely easy schedule they have after this Dodger series, a .580 winning percentage is a reasonable expectation. Lots of if’s but this isn’t some impossible dream scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t think the Reds will make the playoffs this season. It feels like a cursed season.

However, if this team gets Marte, CES and Friedl back in month, and McLain for the last month, with the extremely easy schedule they have after this Dodger series, a .580 winning percentage is a reasonable expectation. Lots of if’s but this isn’t some impossible dream scenario.
    It would be because if it’s a month from now they start getting guys back, they’ll have to win at a .650 rate or so to get there, and that’s assuming they can hit .500 over the next month.

So, like I said, good luck with that.

It would be because if it’s a month from now they start getting guys back, they’ll have to win at a .650 rate or so to get there, and that’s assuming they can hit .500 over the next month.

So, like I said, good luck with that.
    If they hit .500 in a month, they only have to go .500 to stay in the playoff picture. .500 keeps a team in the playoff picture these days. Diamondbacks made it in and went to the World Series with 84 wins.

It’s a much easier schedule after the Dodger series. The Reds played at a .550 pace, with pretty much this roster, the first month of the season, playing a harder schedule than they have the rest of the way.

A .580 pace from now on, with an improved roster in a month, is reasonable to expect.
    Last edited by 757690; 05-24-2024 at 02:36 PM.

If they hit .500 in a month, they only have to go .500 to stay in the playoff picture. .500 keeps a team in the playoff picture these days. Diamondbacks made it in and went to the World Series with 84 wins.

It’s a much easier schedule after the Dodger series. The Reds played at a .550 pace, with pretty much this roster, the first month of the season, playing a harder schedule than they have the rest of the way.

A .580 pace from now on, with an improved roster in a month, is reasonable to expect.
    Good luck with that.

Good luck with that.
    As I said, I would bet against it too, mostly because this team feels cursed this season.

But the math and talent on the team make it a reasonable expectation.

Sure. Dismiss it outright. That always adds to a productive discussion

Seasons ebb and flow. They started out the year 14-10 (coincidently a .583 winning percentage), they go 6-20 over their next 26 to be where they are now. Is that likely that they go .580 the rest of the way? Probably not but they were 21-28 last season and finished with 82 wins. Baseball is weird.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post

Seasons ebb and flow. They started out the year 14-10 (coincidently a .583 winning percentage), they go 6-20 over their next 26 to be where they are now. Is that likely that they go .580 the rest of the way? Probably not but they were 21-28 last season and finished with 82 wins. Baseball is weird.
    Baseball is weird, especially for teams with big payrolls and aggressive front offices. Yeah, I could see the Astros or the D-Backs turning on the afterburners and winning 95. The Reds? Nope. Not even with all the luck on earth.

As I said, I would bet against it too, mostly because this team feels cursed this season.

But the math and talent on the team make it a reasonable expectation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post

A reasonable expectation? It’s really not. If everyone, including McLain were healthy today then sure I could see it happening, but otherwise I really don’t think it’s a reasonable expectation.

It also ignores that the Reds are probably going to be sellers at the deadline. So, as I said, good luck with that, I really do hope you’re right (but highly doubtful)
    Last edited by LeatherPants; 05-24-2024 at 03:23 PM.

17. Likes:

Falls City Beer (05-24-2024),Mitri (05-24-2024),REDREAD (05-29-2024)

A reasonable expectation? It’s really not. If everyone, including McLain were healthy today then sure I could see it happening, but otherwise I really don’t think it’s a reasonable expectation.

It also ignores that the Reds are probably going to be sellers at the deadline. So, as I said, good luck with that, I really do hope you’re right (but highly doubtful)
    Not a prediction. Just choosing not to mail in the season after 50 games. I don't find .580 to be LOL-worthy but maybe I'm just delusional as it seems it's 75 and I against the board

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Baseball is weird, especially for teams with big payrolls and aggressive front offices. Yeah, I could see the Astros or the D-Backs turning on the afterburners and winning 95. The Reds? Nope. Not even with all the luck on earth.
    Why not make it an even 100? 110 even?
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Exactly.

This season has new objectives:

- Coddle young pitchers
    - Trade away a few guys, maybe even get some big league talent back
    - Beg Elly for an extension
    - Get Marte back on track and see what we have in Dunn and Richardson

To be fair, other than maybe Stephenson, who could the Reds sell that anyone would want?

Turn Off Ads?