Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast
Results 976 to 990 of 1009

Thread: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

  1. #976
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    4,759

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Krall needs to make the following assumptions and go from there:

    McLain and Williamson are gone for the season.
    CES and Ashcraft are in AAA the rest of the year.
    Martinez needs to remain in the bullpen.

    Krall needs to make some trades based on those assumptions, now if Ashcraft and CES bust out in AAA and make it back to the big club it’s a bonus, but it shouldn’t be the plan.

  2. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (06-09-2024)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #977
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    21,290

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    The Williamson news is rough in a couple ways. On paper we had a lot of starting pitching depth... enough to use it at the deadline to make an impactful trade. Phillips is lost, Ashcraft needs some adjusting, Petty is having a rough first half and now Williamson is suffering from a shoulder issue. Lowder is looking to be a slower riser as well. Not saying these guys are all lost or any of them for that matter but so far this season none of them are pitching to their potential.

    A corner OF bopper would be a great addition to this team. Someone who can use our parks advantages.
    I think the hand wringing over Lowder is premature. He has a 2.70 FIP and .500 babip. It’s small sample size noise.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  5. Likes:

    BoxingRed (06-09-2024),GAC (06-09-2024),Marc D (06-08-2024)

  6. #978
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,386

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Krall needs to make the following assumptions and go from there:

    McLain and Williamson are gone for the season.
    CES and Ashcraft are in AAA the rest of the year.
    Martinez needs to remain in the bullpen.

    Krall needs to make some trades based on those assumptions, now if Ashcraft and CES bust out in AAA and make it back to the big club it’s a bonus, but it shouldn’t be the plan.
    I agree with most of this, but why would Krall assume Ashcroft is in AAA for the remainder? If he gets pushed out of the rotation I think he's at least worth of a bullpen spot.

    But I agree on Martinez, this is how I've felt all season. He should be the bullpen glue.

    I'm hopeful for a McLain revival, but shoulder injuries suck. I'd assume Williamson won't make it back.

    Krall needs to go get a veteran arm, and JD Martinez, whenever possible.

  7. Likes:

    Kingspoint (06-11-2024),Revering4Blue (06-09-2024)

  8. #979
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    4,759

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I agree with most of this, but why would Krall assume Ashcroft is in AAA for the remainder? If he gets pushed out of the rotation I think he's at least worth of a bullpen spot.

    .
    Because I’d like Krall to go get someone better than Ashcraft and if he comes back it’ll be a bonus.

  9. Likes:

    GAC (06-09-2024)

  10. #980
    Member Dave C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    3,464

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think the hand wringing over Lowder is premature. He has a 2.70 FIP and .500 babip. It’s small sample size noise.
    I have no "hand wringing" over him. There were a lot here that had him in our rotation around the All Star break allowing for a trade to fill holes. All I've noted is that he's not rising as fast as thought. He had a decent last outing in AA but to make light of his struggles there seems odd to me. He's had some issues there and AA is typically the first test in the minors. I watched his two rough games and the idea that it was a bunch of seeing eye grounders that got him is off. He got hit hard. Largely because he couldn't get his FB on the edges and they were not biting on the off speed. He changed that up with less FB's last time out and bounced.

    In any event... our pitching depth in the minors hasn't been what we thought it was going to be so far this season and that depth could fill a hole in our lineup.

    Williamson's injury doesn't sound great.

  11. #981
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    21,290

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    I have no "hand wringing" over him. There were a lot here that had him in our rotation around the All Star break allowing for a trade to fill holes. All I've noted is that he's not rising as fast as thought. He had a decent last outing in AA but to make light of his struggles there seems odd to me. He's had some issues there and AA is typically the first test in the minors. I watched his two rough games and the idea that it was a bunch of seeing eye grounders that got him is off. He got hit hard. Largely because he couldn't get his FB on the edges and they were not biting on the off speed. He changed that up with less FB's last time out and bounced.

    In any event... our pitching depth in the minors hasn't been what we thought it was going to be so far this season and that depth could fill a hole in our lineup.

    Williamson's injury doesn't sound great.
    Decent? He had 11 Ks
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  12. #982
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,004

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Decent? He had 11 Ks
    I guess if you are into that sort of thing
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

  13. #983
    Member Dave C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    3,464

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Decent? He had 11 Ks
    Fantasy stats aside... well... you must be one of the ones that had him here by the All Star break. I'm done...

  14. #984
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    2,123

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    This was updated for after CES 2nd opinion. Doesn't show the Reds Doctors are doing thier job eh?

    "underwent a follow-up exam on June 5 with Reds doctors that showed he was ready to take the next step in his rehab progression. That was put on hold, however, because the first baseman opted to get a second opinion before moving forward.

    Reds manager David Bell said on June 8 that a specialist examined Encarnacion-Strand's hand and, following treatment, the first baseman was advised to rest an additional five days."

  15. #985
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    36,627

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Krall needs to make the following assumptions and go from there:

    McLain and Williamson are gone for the season.
    CES and Ashcraft are in AAA the rest of the year.
    Martinez needs to remain in the bullpen.

    Krall needs to make some trades based on those assumptions, now if Ashcraft and CES bust out in AAA and make it back to the big club it’s a bonus, but it shouldn’t be the plan.
    I don’t think they are bad assumptions - but you can’t trade away good prospects based on assumptions. It’s premature.

    Krall should be preparing for deadline deals based on a variety of assumptions. He should have a view as to the most important holes to fill at the deadline. But he can’t reach firm conclusions just yet.

    I’ve stated my view that a serious stretch drive/playoff run for this club would start with a TOR (or near TOR) starter on a rental basis. But even that’s a bit premature. I wouldn’t even pursue it unless Reds are solidly in the playoff picture in July, which is likely but not certain.

  16. #986
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,632

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t think they are bad assumptions - but you can’t trade away good prospects based on assumptions. It’s premature.

    Krall should be preparing for deadline deals based on a variety of assumptions. He should have a view as to the most important holes to fill at the deadline. But he can’t reach firm conclusions just yet.

    I’ve stated my view that a serious stretch drive/playoff run for this club would start with a TOR (or near TOR) starter on a rental basis. But even that’s a bit premature. I wouldn’t even pursue it unless Reds are solidly in the playoff picture in July, which is likely but not certain.
    Good point.

    The good news, for the Reds, is that they should have three relatively proven offensive players that might be available by later this season. That allows for both a possible trade (at the major league level) or an ability to focus nearly entirely on pitching.

    The starting pitching will have to remain healthy and effective, and the bullpen will have to settle down a bit and show it can limit damage late in games. (I'm still extremely worried about Diaz, Sims, Pagan, and to a lesser extent, Cruz and Suter. That's the back end of the Red 'pen, and it's been a struggle all season. The effectiveness of middle relievers Moll, relief arm Martinez, and Farmer (plus Spiers) have hidden a few of those issues, IMO. If they tire late, we might see several blown saves and hurtful losses at the end of winnable games. (Then again, the optimist might argue that Diaz, et al, have track records that should allow them time to figure it out.)

  17. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (06-09-2024),JCM11 (06-09-2024),Revering4Blue (06-09-2024)

  18. #987
    Member NebraskaRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9,029

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    This was updated for after CES 2nd opinion. Doesn't show the Reds Doctors are doing thier job eh?

    "underwent a follow-up exam on June 5 with Reds doctors that showed he was ready to take the next step in his rehab progression. That was put on hold, however, because the first baseman opted to get a second opinion before moving forward.

    Reds manager David Bell said on June 8 that a specialist examined Encarnacion-Strand's hand and, following treatment, the first baseman was advised to rest an additional five days."
    I'd say that's not a Reds thing (or even a baseball thing). Players being rushed back before they're fully ready has always happened. Maybe players (and their agents) are starting to push back more.

  19. #988
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    10,640

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Pa-Gone back to the DL with a lat strain. Likely from jerking his head backwards so frequently.

    Spiers replaces him.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

  20. Likes:

    mgbrown66 (06-09-2024)

  21. #989
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    21,290

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Fantasy stats aside... well... you must be one of the ones that had him here by the All Star break. I'm done...
    I don’t believe I was, but either way 11 Ks aren’t fantasy stats. It’s a strong predictor of future performance at the MLB level. Much more so than ERA at AAA. There’s a lot of random factors at AAA like tiny parks, horrible defenders that will be selling cars/insurance in a few months, etc. K’s show stuff. I am not bringing up random strawmen like “you must be one the guys”

    Saying 11 ks is a decent start is absolute nonsense.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-09-2024 at 10:37 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  22. Likes:

    Mitri (06-09-2024)

  23. #990
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    4,759

    Re: 2024 Reds Injury Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Pa-Gone back to the DL with a lat strain. Likely from jerking his head backwards so frequently.

    Spiers replaces him.
    Pagan (in play-HR)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator