Turn Off Ads?

Thread: "options" confuse me....

"options" confuse me....

hate to admit it after all this time but yep....i understand how they're applied or used or whatever but I don't understand how a player has options or doesn't. Little hep!

Like the rest of you i sit around and try my best guess at the roster and of course the pitching staff is really hard to figure but the 13 position players not so much. I understand Fairchild and Barrero are out of options and I'm guessing someone would grab Barrero and think they can fix all his issues but I feel like there are alot of AAAA, back of the roster type guys out there like Stuey so he might get passed by.

Where i get confused with a guy like Martini, who is older, has options(if not mistaken)and some of the younger guys dont.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "options" confuse me....

You only burn options when you're on a 40 man roster and optioned to the minors. Guys like Nick Martini, in their mid 30's who still have options is because he spent a huge chunk of his minor league career off of 40 man rosters, or in INDY ball, or overseas. They're usually AAAA players or really late bloomers.

An option year is only burned if you're on optional assignment for 20 days of a season as well, that's why Martini still has 1 instead of 0 - in 2021 he was optioned but wasn't down long enough to count against his quota.

Most minor leaguers never technically run out of options, because most of them never make it onto a 40 man roster as their minor league contracts are never "purchased" by a big league team.

4. Likes:

Armo21 (02-28-2024),Chip R (02-28-2024),GADawg (02-28-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

A player who is first brought to the majors, his team has the "option" to send them back to the minors in 3 different seasons, until the player has at least 5 years of service time.

Note that the number of times a player could be sent back within a given year used to be infinity, but they recently negotiated it so a player can't be sent down more than 5 times in one season. But even if a player IS sent down 5 times in one season, that's still only one option used since it's only within one season.

A player can be out of options, then, for a couple different reasons. First, their team used the option to send them to the minors in 3 different seasons. Second, the player has reached 5 years of service time.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 02-27-2024 at 09:42 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Armo21 (02-28-2024),GADawg (02-28-2024)

Players can still be optioned with 5 years or more of big league service if they didn't burn through their option years, though they have to have the player's agreement (almost never happens - but I've seen it).

And some players can qualify for 4 option years.

8. Likes:

Armo21 (02-28-2024),GADawg (02-28-2024),WrongVerb (02-27-2024)

Is that enough options GAC?
    Seriously, thanks fellows. That seems to alleviate the fears of losing someone who is important to your team. That's a lot of opportunities , late bloomers aside.
    May the Lord bless

How does a veteran on a rehab stint work? If a player is on the IL, he is no longer on the 40 man? So they can have him play anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    How does a veteran on a rehab stint work? If a player is on the IL, he is no longer on the 40 man? So they can have him play anywhere?
    If he's on the IL, he's still on the major league roster, he's just inactive. If he's on the 60-day IL, he has a roster exception where he doesn't count toward the 40 player limit and can be replaced with another player. His rehab is simply part of his IL time and doesn't use an option. Players can only be placed on the 60 day IL if the roster is completely full when he's replaced.

Players are optioned once per season. Over the winter there is a 40 man roster which needs to be allocated by inactive and active by opening day. Active guys are the 26 man roster. The inactive guys can be guys on the IL or guys who are optioned to the minor leagues. Anyone else who isn't on the active roster needs to be removed from the 40 man roster but are made available on waivers for any team to claim before they can be sent outright to the minor leagues. Players who have been outrighted once before have the option of rejecting that and becoming a free agent.

Players use one option per season when they are removed from the 26 man active roster and can be activated or sent back down to the minors as many times as necessary during the year with the only restriction being that they need to remain inactive for at least 10 days each time they are sent down unless another player is injured, goes on the IL and necessitates a recall to the Active 26-man roster.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-28-2024 at 10:55 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

GADawg (02-28-2024),mgbrown66 (02-28-2024)

thanks for all the info...i think i got it

Turn Off Ads?