Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Is Your Prediction to be the 26th Man

Re: Who Is Your Prediction to be the 26th Man

...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    So this is who the Reds are signing?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...aineph01.shtml

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

CySeymour (02-28-2024)

I believe it'll be Fairchild and I can live with that.

But I'm kinda rootin' for Bubba Thompson for reasons even unknown to myself.

6. Likes:

NebraskaRed (02-28-2024),Old school 1983 (02-28-2024)

Heh, this will draw some comments.

Barrero.

He's playing all over in the OF, and can handle at least 3 IF positions. He's out of options. The Reds might try sneaking him through on the last day though. I guess it depends on if he hits. 5 PA's no hits but 2 BB's. So far.

He's a dark horse candidate, but from a versatility pov, he checks some boxes. Hit pretty well at AAA last year.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

8. Likes:

Cherokee (02-28-2024),Old school 1983 (02-28-2024),redsfan9988 (02-28-2024),Ron Madden (02-28-2024),wally post (02-28-2024)

A lot of effusive praise has been heaped upon Bubba Thompson. His skills (defense and baserunning) fit nicely for a 26th man.

That said… Fairchild is a MUCH better hitter. It’s his spot to lose.

Blake Dunn and Jacob Hurtibese are options for later in the year.

10. Likes:

mth123 (02-28-2024),Ron Madden (02-28-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    A lot of effusive praise has been heaped upon Bubba Thompson. His skills (defense and baserunning) fit nicely for a 26th man.

That said… Fairchild is a MUCH better hitter. It’s his spot to lose.

Blake Dunn and Jacob Hurtibese are options for later in the year.
    He's also really fast in his own right (92nd percentile in MLB last year)-- and a good defender across all three OF spots (+3 OAA overall). He provides a pretty solid PA as well. (His 24% chase percentage combined with a nearly 10% BB rate means he gets on base even if his hit tool is below average.) He was slightly BA-unlucky last year (especially considering his speed). I'm guessing he ends up around league average, perhaps slightly below offensively. Combine that with solid secondary skills, and he's a pretty good 26th man.

12. Likes:

redsfan9988 (02-28-2024),Ron Madden (02-28-2024)

Aristocratic Hoosier

I think in this order:

Fairchild
    Harrison
    Kemp
    Thompson
    Martini

assuming Barrero keeps his roster spot.

Technically the 26th man is a pitcher anyway, so we are looking at the 13th man among position players.
    If it's a guy who can play IF-OF, that's either Kemp or Harrison. Not sure why we need a veteran backup infielder. Bring in the bat who can match up against a bullpen lefty.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

It's got to be someone who can play centerfield. Is Jesse Winker still available?
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Quote Originally Posted by j.u.FAIRFIIELD View Post
    I think in this order:

Fairchild
    Harrison
    Kemp
    Thompson
    Martini

assuming Barrero keeps his roster spot.
    Both Barrero and Fairchild are out of options, the Reds won't be able to keep both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    It's got to be someone who can play centerfield. Is Jesse Winker still available?
    The Reds could turn to Benson or Fraley as the backup CF.

Both have played the position before, if in limited innings. (Fraley was largely poor, but Benson was okay in 88 innings.)

With four good OF and maybe India, I could see them rolling the dice and bring up, say, Mike Ford as a PH/DH/corner OF guy.

Don't be surprised if several start the year on IL. Probably be at least 4 or 5 players on the opening day roster that shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Heh, this will draw some comments.

Barrero.

He's playing all over in the OF, and can handle at least 3 IF positions. He's out of options. The Reds might try sneaking him through on the last day though. I guess it depends on if he hits. 5 PA's no hits but 2 BB's. So far.

He's a dark horse candidate, but from a versatility pov, he checks some boxes. Hit pretty well at AAA last year.
    A bigger question is if there is a team in MLB that will give the Reds a bag of used balls for him in a trade before he goes on waivers and becomes a member of the Oakland As.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    School's out. What did you expect?

If the season started today, it would be Fairchild

And it will probably be Fairchild unless injuries force some changes (which could definitely happen).

Aristocratic Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Both Barrero and Fairchild are out of options, the Reds won't be able to keep both of them.
    Sure they can if Barrero makes the O.D. roster. The question wasn't who would be on the team all season. It's who will be the 26th man.

How does Barrero make the O.D. roster? He replaces an injured player, is how.
    Quantum computing promises to be a revolutionary tool, making short work of equations that classical computers would struggle to ever complete. Yet the workhorse of the quantum device, known as a qubit, is a delicate object prone to collapsing.

Ive got no problem keeping Barrero if hes totally on board being a backup at couple spots. Kid has talent and still has a non zero chance of hitting his potential.

Barrero becoming a productive MLB player would be a nice surprise boost.

Turn Off Ads?