Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Starting Pitchers Rotation

Re: 2024 Starting Pitchers Rotation

Lodolo flirts with no-no in 1st start since May 2023

It sure didn't look like Reds starter Nick Lodolo hadn't pitched in a big league game for 343 days.

Long layoff or not -- struggling opponent or not -- an impressive Lodolo made his 2024 debut vs. the White Sox look easy on Saturday.

Chicago's only hit off Lodolo came when Robbie Grossman led off the bottom of the sixth with a grounder up the middle. Santiago Espinal tried to corral it on the grass behind second base but had no play.

Full Story Here
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nick-l...n-season-debut

2. Likes:

bigfoot steve (04-13-2024),GullyFoyle (04-13-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

1P Montas
    2 Lodolo
    3 Ashcraft
    4 Abbott
    5 Greene

That's a heck of a rotation.
    ďThe guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.Ē

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-15-2024)

Between Montas, Lodolo and Greene, the Reds might have 3 top of the rotation starting pitchers this season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Reds' rotation sets the tone in 1st sweep of White Sox

The Reds knew in the offseason that if they wanted to be a playoff-caliber team, their starting pitching had to be not just dependable, but needed the ability to dominate.

That's why the front office went out and signed free agents Frankie Montas and Nick Martinez while also expecting improvement from young pitchers Graham Ashcraft, Nick Lodolo, Hunter Greene and Andrew Abbott.

Through 15 games, Cincinnati is starting to see what it has with its starters and what's still possible. That was driven home this weekend during a three-game sweep of the White Sox.

The starting trio of Abbott, Lodolo and Ashcraft combined to go 3-0 with a 0.98 ERA on 10 hits -- including eight singles -- with three walks and 21 strikeouts over 18 1/3 innings.

Abbott allowed one earned run over seven innings.

Lodolo, who returned from missing nearly a year on the injured list with a left tibia stress fracture, gave up one infield single over 5 2/3 scoreless innings and struck out 10.

Finally, Ashcraft gave the Reds an eight-strikeout, 5 2/3-inning start with two runs (one earned), five singles and two walks.

Among National League rotations, the Reds' starters are ranked fourth in ERA (3.66), fourth in innings (83 2/3) and third in WHIP (1.16).

Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-sweep-..._article-share
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-15-2024 at 07:33 AM.

Time to put Lodolo in bubble wrap and make sure he doesn't have to step off the curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Reds' rotation sets the tone in 1st sweep of White Sox
    Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-sweep-..._article-share
    This is great to see, but it is important to point out the White Sox are a AAA lineup. Just awful.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

HokieRed (04-15-2024),Tom Servo (04-15-2024)

Fun with numbers:

Overall, the Reds' pitching staff is tied for 5th in fWAR at 2.1.
    The starting staff is tied for 3rd in fWAR, at 1.9.

All six starters have positive WAR.

Tejay Antone and Buck Farmer are the only RP below replacement level, each with a -0.1.
    Only Cruz and Pagan have earned any WAR as relief pitchers, at 0.3 and 0.1 respectively.
    Everyone else has been replacement level.

12. Likes:

Cherokee (04-15-2024),Ron Madden (04-15-2024)

The current rotation almost reminds me of the 2012 rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake and Arroyo where none of them are Cy Young winner, but they were all #2-#3 type starters who could occasionally dominate and whoever was pitching at the back of the rotation was going to be way better than your 4/5 starters

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    The current rotation almost reminds me of the 2012 rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake and Arroyo where none of them are Cy Young winner, but they were all #2-#3 type starters who could occasionally dominate and whoever was pitching at the back of the rotation was going to be way better than your 4/5 starters
    I would argue current Reds rotation is not yet in the same category as 2012.

That rotation, while pretty young, had fewer question marks.

The White Sox can’t hit. I wouldn’t get all excited by that pitching performance by Reds.

Current Reds starting staff has good potential and depth but a few guys have to show they can be among better MLB starters and for a full season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-16-2024 at 08:30 AM.

15. Likes:

CaiGuy (04-16-2024),mth123 (04-16-2024)

What's up with Montas? Last night his velo was mostly 92 max, with no control of anything. Could have been just a bad game, but those type things are usually alarm for injury. I noticed Bell with a concerned look in the first inning, when the camera was on him in the dugout. Let's hope it's nothing.

17. Likes:

malcontent (04-16-2024),Roy Tucker (04-16-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    What's up with Montas? Last night his velo was mostly 92 max, with no control of anything. Could have been just a bad game, but those type things are usually alarm for injury. I noticed Bell with a concerned look in the first inning, when the camera was on him in the dugout. Let's hope it's nothing.
    On another page folks were referencing some study that about the new baseball for 2024. Apparently, it is really hard to control breaking stuff with it in cold weather and it was 40 degrees in Seattle last night.

19. Likes:

Old NDN (04-16-2024),Ron Madden (04-16-2024)

=Brisco;4702536]On another page folks were referencing some study that about the new baseball for 2024. Apparently, it is really hard to control breaking stuff with it in cold weather and it was 40 degrees in Seattle last night.
    Red Sox Closer Kenley Jansen Calls Out MLB Over 'Embarrassing' Quality of Baseballs

Jansen, whose ninth inning performance included a hit batsmen, a base hit, a walk and a sacrifice fly before a pair of strikeouts ended the game, told reporters after the contest that he felt as if he didn't have control over the baseball due to its quality- or lack thereof.

Jansen called the baseballs "embarrassing," adding that this is not the first time he's noticed the slickness of the game balls in the early parts of the 2024 season.

"I got to get better, but also if youíre playing in the cold weather, windy, and you get pearls balls out there thatís not rubbed well, I donít know where the ballís going," Jansen said, according to Maureen Mullen of the Associated Press.

https://www.si.com/2024/04/15/red-so...over-baseballs
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-16-2024 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I had the same thought. He was missing the zone pretty badly all night and his velocity was down. My arm injury spidey sense started to tingle.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    That staff is way better than this staff. I am not sure they are as good as 2021 Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Miley and Gutierrez.

Montas is a question mark he missed all of last year his fastball is down a couple MPH so is his SO rate. 4.34 ERA at this point.
    Greene is inconsistent and has a 4.86 ERA basically what he has shown his first two year.
    Abbot has pitched well but can he be consistent all year?
    Ashcraft is an innings eater 4.15 era
    Lodolo talented but injury issues only 1 start this year (4.14 career ERA)

Not sure if any of the 5 at this point is better than average starter. Seem like a bunch of 3-5 starters.

23. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (04-16-2024),mth123 (04-16-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    That staff is way better than this staff. I am not sure they are as good as 2021 Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Miley and Gutierrez.

Montas is a question mark he missed all of last year his fastball is down a couple MPH so is his SO rate. 4.34 ERA at this point.
    Greene is inconsistent and has a 4.86 ERA basically what he has shown his first two year.
    Abbot has pitched well but can he be consistent all year?
    Ashcraft is an innings eater 4.15 era
    Lodolo talented but injury issues only 1 start this year (4.14 career ERA)

Not sure if any of the 5 at this point is better than average starter. Seem like a bunch of 3-5 starters.
    Your pessimism is certainly consistent. I hope it does not prevent you from enjoying one of the more promising Reds eras of my lifetime.

25. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-16-2024),Cherokee (04-17-2024),NebraskaRed (04-16-2024),Ron Madden (04-16-2024),westofyou (04-23-2024)

Turn Off Ads?