Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Starting Pitchers Rotation

Re: 2024 Starting Pitchers Rotation

A refreshed Andrew Abbott is ready to remind who he is when he’s at his best
    During the last week of the 2023 season, Cincinnati Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson told starting pitcher Andrew Abbott, “Be ready.”At the time, Abbott was gassed.

He had already blown past the number of innings he was supposed to throw over the course of the season, but the Reds didn’t shut him down as they chased a playoff spot. Even though Abbott posted a 6.09 ERA over his final 10 starts, he was in line to pitch the first game of the postseason, if the Reds made it that far.

Abbott didn’t look like himself on the mound in September. Usually, finishing a season on that much of a slide doesn’t bode well for a pitcher’s chances to pitch in the postseason, or his chances to make the Opening Day roster the next year.

Abbott enters this spring as a strong candidate to earn a rotation spot in a crowded position battle. This spring, he has looked more like the pitcher he was in June and July than the pitcher he was in September.

Overall, Abbott has had a solid camp. His velocity is up. His command is arguably the best on the Reds’ pitching staff. He has a good feel for his off-speed pitches. He spent the entire offseason building up more lower body strength to prevent himself from getting worn down again, and Abbott accomplished that goal heading into spring training.

Now, he’s working on combining the best versions of his pitches with the lessons he figured out when he pitched through serious fatigue last September.
    Continue Reading:
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...t/72872794007/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cincinnati Reds' Newcomer Likely to Make Team's Starting Rotation at Outset of 2024

After signing a multi-year deal with the Cincinnati Reds in the offseason, right-hander Nick Maritnez appears destined for a role in the starting rotation.

Per C. Trent Rosencrans, who did a roster projection in 'The Athletic:'

Montas and Martinez, the rotation’s newcomers, have fit right into the team both on the field and in the clubhouse. The veteran presence of those two has helped quell any concerns about rounding out the rotation starting the season.

In addition to Frankie Montas and Martinez, Rosencrans has Andrew Abbott, Hunter Greene and Graham Ashcraft making the rotation out of camp. Nick Lodolo is still battling leg issues from a year ago and should be in the mix once fully healthy and up to speed.

Read More'
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...24/ar-BB1juZGJ

Could play out that way for sure, altho, again, Williamson has really done what you want to see from him in his starts to make a claim for the 5th spot with Martinez available for multi-inning stints out of the pen.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

HokieRed (03-07-2024),mth123 (03-07-2024),RED VAN HOT (03-07-2024),Ron Madden (03-07-2024),TRF (03-07-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Could play out that way for sure, altho, again, Williamson has really done what you want to see from him in his starts to make a claim for the 5th spot with Martinez available for multi-inning stints out of the pen.
    Williamson in the rotation and Martinez in the pen makes both the rotation and the bullpen better - the bullpen significantly so.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

TRF (03-07-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Williamson in the rotation and Martinez in the pen makes both the rotation and the bullpen better - the bullpen significantly so.
    Crosses my mind, yes.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    A refreshed Andrew Abbott is ready to remind who he is when he’s at his best
    Continue Reading:
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...t/72872794007/
    Abbott doesn't get a lot of discussion here for some reason...dude was stinkin good as a rookie, look forward to seeing how he does the second time around.

10. Likes:

jrdunnit (03-08-2024),Ron Madden (03-07-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Abbott doesn't get a lot of discussion here for some reason...dude was stinkin good as a rookie, look forward to seeing how he does the second time around.
    Not just good-- he was great until he got gassed.

Hopefully, he's found that extra gear this season and the extra mph he's showing so far this Spring Training are for real.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-07-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Not just good-- he was great until he got gassed.

Hopefully, he's found that extra gear this season and the extra mph he's showing so far this Spring Training are for real.
    31 total starts last year makes for a nice platform season as well.

I see more posts stressing about Williamson going to AAA if everyone is healthy or India getting too playing time than about a guy like Abbott and that's a shame. Lots of positives for him going into the year.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-07-2024)

Brandon Williamson takes a good step forward in Reds spring training start

Reds starting pitcher Brandon Williamson turned up the dial in his third appearance of the spring. He spent his previous outing working on his slider. On Wednesday in a split-squad game against the Milwaukee Brewers, Williamson used a more game-like approach.

In four innings, he allowed one run on four hits.

“My arm feels good, and now it’s about getting some velocity back,” Williamson said. “All of my off speed pitches are moving how I want them to. I’m able to pitch and move stuff around how I want.”

Read More Here;
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...rt/ar-BB1juKzb

16. Likes:

HokieRed (03-07-2024)

I hope Abbott repeats and he should absolutely be a lock for the rotation. Does anyone know the breakdown of his stats pre and post being "gassed?"

He was a savior to the staff last year but he gave up a ton of fly balls and a higher-than-average exit velocity. Gives me pause that he could be in for a massive downward correction. Did those stats go out of whack after he was "gassed" or is the hard contact with lots of fly balls normal for him? It doesn't sound like a good recipe for success in GABP, but I'm wondering if those stats are skewed for him due to the fatigue he was pitching with.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I hope Abbott repeats and he should absolutely be a lock for the rotation. Does anyone know the breakdown of his stats pre and post being "gassed?"

He was a savior to the staff last year but he gave up a ton of fly balls and a higher-than-average exit velocity. Gives me pause that he could be in for a massive downward correction. Did those stats go out of whack after he was "gassed" or is the hard contact with lots of fly balls normal for him? It doesn't sound like a good recipe for success in GABP, but I'm wondering if those stats are skewed for him due to the fatigue he was pitching with.
    Haven't looked up his stats from the beginning and end of last season but the linked article says Over his first 10 big league starts, Abbott posted a 1.90 ERA. And Abbott posted a 6.09 ERA over his final 10 starts but he was outta gas at the end of the season
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-07-2024 at 05:04 PM.

6.09 ERA in his last 10 starts.

From his call-up until July 31, he was nails. He wasn't as good as his ERA (2.35), but his FIP was 3.89, even with the fly ball tendencies.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-07-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    6.09 ERA in his last 10 starts.

From his call-up until July 31, he was nails. He wasn't as good as his ERA (2.35), but his FIP was 3.89, even with the fly ball tendencies.
    I know the ERA. I'm specifically wondering about flyball rate and hard-hit rate. Does last year look worse than it really is because of that gassed period or was it that way all year and he was just really lucky during the good period?

It's hard to really project him until we know that answer. I don't even know where to look for that.

Nick Lodolo puts his tibia injury behind him, targets return on April 9

When Cincinnati Reds Nick Lodolo threw his final pitch of two simulated innings on Wednesday, Reds infielder Jonathan India started cheering as he watched the ball travel to home plate.

Lodolo had to throw one more pitch to get his pitch count for the day up to 30, and India wasn’t swinging at this one. So India took the opportunity to appreciate the 6-foot-6 left-hander’s unique breaking ball.Lodolo released the ball.“Yep,” India said.

“Oh yeah,” India said.The breaking ball took a nosedive into the right-hand batter's box.“(Heck) yeah,” India shouted. He knew how much this step from Lodolo meant for the Reds’ 2024 season.

“He’s clear,” Reds manager David Bell said on Thursday. “Hearing the doctors reassure him was very encouraging.”

Lodolo is scheduled to make his spring training debut on March 10 and continue to pitch every five days as he builds up his pitch count.

Bell said that Lodolo “probably isn’t in the mix” to pitch in the first week of the regular season. But the Reds are targeting April 9 as a potential return date.

Full Story Here
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...-9/ar-BB1jvRNc

23. Likes:

AlaskaReds (03-07-2024),jrdunnit (03-08-2024),ochoa30 (03-08-2024)

The bullpen is a potential mess right now due to injury. None of Pagan, Moll, Young, or Gibaut are pitching right now. I don't think they can afford to put Martinez in the rotation if Lodolo isn't ready. Give Williamson that spot and keep Martinez in the bullpen.

25. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-08-2024),CaiGuy (03-08-2024),RED VAN HOT (03-08-2024)

Turn Off Ads?