Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Remembering Don 'Popeye' Zimmer A Baseball Lifer

Remembering Don 'Popeye' Zimmer A Baseball Lifer

Remembering Don 'Popeye' Zimmer A Baseball Lifer

There was a time when Don Zimmer, born Jan. 17,1931, in Cincinnati, Ohio, was a wiry ball player, pretty good with the bat and very good with the glove.

By the time he wrapped up an eight-decade, 65-year MLB career he looked more like a caricature of a ball player
    than an actual one.

The 65-year major league career almost didn't get out of the minors. He was hard-headed literally and it saved his life.

continue reading here:
    https://brooklyneagle.com/articles/2...aseball-lifer/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-28-2024 at 09:43 PM.

2. Likes:

Always Red (03-02-2024),BlackPete Ibold (02-29-2024),cumberlandreds (02-29-2024),GAC (02-29-2024),HokieRed (02-29-2024),NebraskaRed (03-06-2024),wally post (03-07-2024),Z-Fly (02-29-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Remembering Don 'Popeye' Zimmer A Baseball Lifer

Thank you for sharing, Ron.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-29-2024)

Pete told a story in his book - I'll let the audience decide whether it's true or not - that in their younger days he and Don would swim across the Ohia to go to the Kentucky dog racing track.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Pete told a story in his book - I'll let the audience decide whether it's true or not - that in their younger days he and Don would swim across the Ohia to go to the Kentucky dog racing track.
    Uphill both ways, I'm sure.

For Zimmer, whenever I am reminded of my old age, usually when doing something that should be left to younger folks, I am reminded of old guy Zimmer jumping into a brawl when the benches cleared, and Pedro Martinez tossing him to the ground like it was an afterthought.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

8. Likes:

GAC (03-01-2024),wally post (03-07-2024)

I miss Zim.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Maybe. Pete does like to tell stories though.

Zim (b 1931) was 10 years older than Pete (b 1941). In other words, when Zim was graduating West High in 1949, Pete was 8 years old.

They didn't run together when they were young and unknown. My mom went to West Hi with Pete and she has a lot of stories, which remain private

What is indisputable is how many really great athletes went to West Hi back in the day (and singers Rosemary Clooney and Andy Williams!) . Both Zim and Rose, 10 years apart from each other, both had other future major leaguers on their high school teams.
    sorry we're boring

11. Likes:

Chip R (03-06-2024),cumberlandreds (03-03-2024)

Pete would never lie. Why would they swim? Were there no bridges? No cars? No public transportation? As Always Red said, they weren't contemporaries. Pete would have been 13 when Zim reached the majors. What is true is that both were big dog racing guys, dog racing wasn't legal in Kentucky since 1927. The horsey set had something to do with that. Now did a teenage Rose befriend his fellow Westsider and go to horse racing tracks? Sure. But they wouldn't even need to cross the river to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

Always Red (03-06-2024),cumberlandreds (03-06-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I still day Pedro was in the right, there. Zimmer bull rushed him, and he used a defensive maneuver to put Zimmer on the ground unscathed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

16. Likes:

GAC (03-07-2024)

I think every Cincinnati family has some lore about swimming across the Ohio River. Prior to the installation of the dams, it could have been pretty easy to swim across in late summer. My own grandfather boasted of being able to nearly wade across. But here's the thing, Zim and Pete lived less than a mile from Anderson Ferry. It doesn't make a lot of sense that they would have swum across. And I don't recall ever hearing of dog racing in the area. Maybe Latonia had some?
    Last edited by SunDeck; 03-06-2024 at 06:33 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

18. Likes:

GAC (03-07-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I think every Cincinnati family has some lore about swimming across the Ohio River. Prior to the installation of the dams, it could have been pretty easy to swim across in late summer. My own grandfather boasted of being able to nearly wade across. But here's the thing, Zim and Pete lived less than a mile from Anderson Ferry. It doesn't make a lot of sense that they would have swum across. And I don't recall ever hearing of dog racing in the area. Maybe Latonia had some?
    I'm not sure it was dog racing. Just assumed. It could be horse since KY is big on horse farms. I had to do some research on the history of the locks and dams built along the Ohio River. Interesting. It was my ancestors, G.R. Clark and family which helped settle that area. I went to George Roger's sister home (Locus Grove) last Summer.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-07-2024 at 06:18 AM.

20. Likes:

SunDeck (03-07-2024)

Turn Off Ads?