Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Direct TV technical question

Direct TV technical question

Ok all...let me begin by saying...I am probably one of the older people on this site and my knowledge on technical things is limited. This question may sound simple to some but i really would like to know without talking to a salesman over the phone who will tell me "what I want to hear".
    I am thinking of switching from Dish to DirectTV for different reasons but being able to watch the Reds again would be an added bonus.

Currently I have DISH and I also am able to watch netflix, amazon prime and youtube (this isnt youtube tv but the regular youtube).
    If i switch to Direct Tv, would i still be able to get those 3 thru DirectTV ?

Again I am an older dude with limited technical knowledge so I turning to you zoners for help.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Direct TV technical question

Quote Originally Posted by jrdunnit View Post
    Ok all...let me begin by saying...I am probably one of the older people on this site and my knowledge on technical things is limited. This question may sound simple to some but i really would like to know without talking to a salesman over the phone who will tell me "what I want to hear".
    I am thinking of switching from Dish to DirectTV for different reasons but being able to watch the Reds again would be an added bonus.

Currently I have DISH and I also am able to watch netflix, amazon prime and youtube (this isnt youtube tv but the regular youtube).

Again I am an older dude with limited technical knowledge so I turning to you zoners for help.
    Those 3 things are something you’d get via apps on your TV and high speed internet (WiFi). There are many ways to get high speed internet and DISH and Directv are two of those ways. Cable company or phone company are other ways. You could get internet from Spectrum and nothing else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes:

jrdunnit (03-04-2024)

This is on my NON-Smart TV. These are the only apps Directv displays. Hope this helps.

Name:  IMG_5350.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  312.6 KB
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

6. Likes:

jrdunnit (03-04-2024),westofyou (03-04-2024)

Same, I get those apps the OP was looking for via ROKU or my smart TV

8. Likes:

jrdunnit (03-04-2024),TRF (03-05-2024)

Thanks for the Help ! much appreciated !

10. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by jrdunnit View Post

I'm over 70 so don't give me that "older dude" stuff. I'm kind of a expert on DirectTV. I've had it for over 20 years. There are basically 3 versions of DirecTV right now. So you need to be careful of what you get. A satellite based version (what most people think of as DirecTV), an internet (app) based version of the satellite version. This is pretty new. And something called DirecTV stream.

If your goal is to get to get Bally Sports Cincinnati so you can watch the Reds (it appears you live in the Reds viewing area) then I think all 3 offer it. I'll double check. The least troublesome option for you is DirecTV stream. For one thing you can quit it whenever you want. For example in November after the Reds have just clinched the series.

I assume you have some kind of smart TV?
    Last edited by JaxRed; 03-05-2024 at 10:43 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

jrdunnit (03-06-2024),TRF (03-05-2024)

There are several "cable/satellite" replacements using smart boxes and some TV operating systems. I'm a Roku guy. 5 tv's in my house, three are Roku TVs 2 use Roku Ultra boxes. The boxes are the best. They have the most power and are super smooth and easy to use.

So, if you have high-speed internet, 200MB down or greater then my recommendation is to get DStream or Fubo. Both have the MLB Network and likely carry Bally for your viewing area. If you are out of the Reds viewing area, MLB.TV is the way to go. $169 for the year. (I think it was $129 last year, the fiends!).

If you get DStream you'll want to cancel your existing cable/satellite provider so long as you keep your internet. I'm in a weird spot. My provider is YouTube TV which does not carry Bally Sports Southwest. So I do not get TX Ranger or Houston Astros games. I am blacked out on MLB.TV. I see them occasionally on some local channels, but not as much as 2-3 years ago.

The speed of your internet is the key though.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

14. Likes:

jrdunnit (03-06-2024)

Looks like FUBO carries Bally Sports at the premier level which is $79.99 But to get MLB Network requires Fubo Extra which is another $7.99. DirecTV stream is unclear on a couple items. Fubo might be a better choice.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Why not look at a Roku? It's a device connected to your TV that also connects to your WiFi. You can use free apps that each of the multiple service providers make for the Roku platform to connect to just about any traditional or non-traditional TV content service. Direct TV has one, Dish has one (called Sling), Hulu has one (the one I use) and so on. There are a few sites that compare and track the costs, content and access among the multiple providers. One such site here: https://www.cabletv.com/blog/best-li...aming-services

Also on the Roku platform you can get free apps that have some of the classic TV and movie content for free (you have to watch commercials but if you are old you've been conditioned for that long ago). PlutoTV is one such app. Back in the day I loved "F Troop" There is a channel on PlutoTV just for that show... and literally hundreds more.

I get the MLB package and guess what?... there is a MLB app for the Roku that allows you to stream the games. Apps for Netflix, Amazon and literally hundreds more entertainment options. There is an app for BBQ that has some of the top Pit Bosses showing you some great techniques for smoking meats... and it's fee as long as you watch a couple commercials. For me, its a welcome break to crack open a cold one...

I'd cut the cable... or ditch the dish and go to a Roku or similar streaming device.

https://www.roku.com/
    Last edited by Dave C; 03-16-2024 at 12:49 PM.

17. Likes:

jrdunnit (03-26-2024),TRF (03-18-2024)

Turn Off Ads?