Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musical Artists That Were Just "Otherworldly"

Musical Artists That Were Just "Otherworldly"

Look, we all know a great musical artist when we see them. There have been thousands of great singer/songwriters, and musicians. But who are the two or three that stand out to you as just having that "OMG factor," that special something that left you hypnotized and unable to turn away while watching a performance? It's almost like they didn't originate from this little blue dot in space we call Earth , but from another place in space and time.

Is there an artist that has come along in your lifetime that just left you thinking there has never been anyone quite like this before. You know, a performer that is inadequately described by words like "unique" or "one-of-a-kind." Is there anyone that just left you transfixed with their talent, singing, playing, stage presence, ability to mesmerize a crowd? I'd like to hear some of your favorites.

When I pondered this question, there were three that came to mind for me. I was a big fan of the music of two of these and not a huge fan of the music of the third, though I found her absolutely spellbinding and among the greatest performers of all time.

The performers that I put at the top of the pedestal are those whose pain , sense of loss and regret, and genuine emotion I can feel in their every word.

I'll start with the young lady who I never listened to a lot growing up(I wasn't into bluesy music) but when I did grow up, I realized she was something special. She was a free spirit and a tortured soul. A girl in her twenties , who sounded, and sometimes looked, like a woman in her forties or fifties. An outcast growing up who was teased and bullied because of her looks, her acne-plagued skin, and her tendency to gain weight, she allowed all that pain and self-doubt to flow out of her through her music . The music was her solace, maybe her only solace .

Here she is at Monterey , the genesis of a Legend .

“It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Likes:

Chip R (03-11-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Musical Artists That Were Just "Otherworldly"

How someone like this becomes what we saw on stage at Monterey just eight years later has always intrigued me.

Name:  janis.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  6.2 KB
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-11-2024)

I saw Prince live just a few months before he died. I was not a huge Prince fan, but I wasn’t going to turn down the chance to see him in person. It was sort of a medium-sized theater down in Louisville and we had tickets in the 8th row. I’ve never seen anything like what he did on stage. I wouldn’t ever dare try to describe it in words.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (03-13-2024),Ky Fried Redleg (03-09-2024),texasdave (03-09-2024)

There were 3 videos I thought about. Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock, Hendrix playing Machine Gun at the Fillmore East, but decided on this one on Mount Haleakala on Maui.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Chip R (03-11-2024),LiferJim (03-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    There were 3 videos I thought about. Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock, Hendrix playing Machine Gun at the Fillmore East, but decided on this one on Mount Haleakala on Maui.

I knew it wouldn't be long before Jimi would make his appearance in the thread.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

11. Likes:

Chip R (03-11-2024)

Here's my second performer. Had the ability to grab an audience and keep them in the palm of his hand for as long as he damn well wanted. Best front man ever as far as I'm concerned. The guy could sing a phone book and make it entertaining. No one commanded a crowd like Freddie.

---- Bill Vaughn

13. Likes:

Chip R (03-11-2024)

They call me "chef"

The Aquabats fist fighting a guy in a knockoff Mickey Mouse mascot costume on stage at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney in Anaheim, CA in 2006.

Musical Artists That Were Just "Otherworldly"

For me it would have to be SRV. I was fortunate to get to see him 3 times and every show left me absolutely flabbergasted. The fire, intensity, and pure soul he poured out was unbelievable. Though I don’t listen to him as much these days, occasionally I do and he still sends chills up my spine!!!

https://youtu.be/DQ4REYdCkTw?si=sziDit74U81KSNFV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    For me it would have to be SRV. I was fortunate to get to see him 3 times and every show left me absolutely flabbergasted. The fire, intensity, and pure soul he poured out was unbelievable. Though I don’t listen to him as much these days, occasionally I do and he still sends chills up my spine!!!

https://youtu.be/DQ4REYdCkTw?si=sziDit74U81KSNFV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For me, it's got to be Jimi and SRV. Every time I start listening to someone else and think they are pretty good, all I have to do is listen to one of those two and I'm drawn back in. Even though I've heard Jimi play Hey Joe ten thousand times, I hear something new now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Look, we all know a great musical artist when we see them. There have been thousands of great singer/songwriters, and musicians. But who are the two or three that stand out to you as just having that "OMG factor," that special something that left you hypnotized and unable to turn away while watching a performance? It's almost like they didn't originate from this little blue dot in space we call Earth , but from another place in space and time.

Is there an artist that has come along in your lifetime that just left you thinking there has never been anyone quite like this before. You know, a performer that is inadequately described by words like "unique" or "one-of-a-kind." Is there anyone that just left you transfixed with their talent, singing, playing, stage presence, ability to mesmerize a crowd? I'd like to hear some of your favorites.

When I pondered this question, there were three that came to mind for me. I was a big fan of the music of two of these and not a huge fan of the music of the third, though I found her absolutely spellbinding and among the greatest performers of all time.

The performers that I put at the top of the pedestal are those whose pain , sense of loss and regret, and genuine emotion I can feel in their every word.

I'll start with the young lady who I never listened to a lot growing up(I wasn't into bluesy music) but when I did grow up, I realized she was something special. She was a free spirit and a tortured soul. A girl in her twenties , who sounded, and sometimes looked, like a woman in her forties or fifties. An outcast growing up who was teased and bullied because of her looks, her acne-plagued skin, and her tendency to gain weight, she allowed all that pain and self-doubt to flow out of her through her music . The music was her solace, maybe her only solace .
    Every time someone mentions Janis or Elvis, I have to think of Big Mama Thornton. She is probably the most screwed over musician in history, being the first person to record Ain't Nothing But A Hound Dog, and then writing Ball And Chain, and making very little money from it (to their credit, both Elvis and Janis gave her props). Of course, she scored the trifecta of being overweight, black, and lesbian in the 50s and 60s, so her talent just wasn't enough.

She was just incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u53jcs3EYwg

18. Likes:

919191 (03-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    For me, it's got to be Jimi and SRV. Every time I start listening to someone else and think they are pretty good, all I have to do is listen to one of those two and I'm drawn back in. Even though I've heard Jimi play Hey Joe ten thousand times, I hear something new now and then.
    I hear you. Jimi blows my mind too and I wish I would have saw him live. Your right though, those two are tops on my list too.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

My third otherworldly artist is Karen Carpenter. I've never heard a vocal instrument like the one she possessed. The purist sounding voice I've ever heard. Pitch, resonance, control --just perfect. Her voice was a window to her soul, as you could hear all of the pain and sorrow in her voice. No one has ever evoked emotions in me like she does. I still feel sad whenever I listen to her music.

---- Bill Vaughn

22. Likes:

RedsBaron (04-12-2024)

I'm being repetitive, but Robert Smith is a god.

Dido's voice..

Current act would be London Grammar. Hannah Reid, who boy, her voice is so smooth. Listen to the live version of Nightcall and educate yourself. Or Lord it's a feeling. Kinda NSFW, but...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I will go ahead and say it - Taylor Swift.

I am not a big fan or anything, but my wife turned on that concert that is on Disney + and my daughter (5 years old) was just just immediately drawn to it like a moth to flame. She sat there and watched the whole thing while dancing around. After she said "I loved that"

Made me look at T Swift differently.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

25. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-16-2024)

Turn Off Ads?