Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Candelario Set For Hot Corner As Infield Takes Shape

Re: Candelario Set For Hot Corner As Infield Takes Shape

Is a slow start (12 games) the same as a slump.

I hate Aprils.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

I hate Aprils.
    Technically, it can't be.

Always wondered why Larkin was so terrible at the plate in April.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

GAC (04-12-2024),goreds2 (04-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Always wondered why Larkin was so terrible at the plate in April.
    I remember that. He wasn't the only one.

I think a lot of today's fans (not all), especially the younger generation, are too hyped up, wired. They hang on every little thing and, at times, strain at a gnat. Must be those energy drinks. I don't know how they make it through the 162 game schedule? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

goreds2 (04-12-2024),Kingspoint (04-12-2024),RedsFanInMS (04-14-2024)

I remember that. He wasn't the only one.

I think a lot of today's fans (not all), especially the younger generation, are too hyped up, wired. They hang on every little thing and, at times, strain at a gnat. Must be those energy drinks. I don't know how they make it through the 162 game schedule? LOL
    I just looked up Larkin's career numbers in April, and I wouldn't call them "terrible". Career OPS of .762 in April. Yeah, it's lower than his career numbers, but in no way could that be considered terrible.

8. Likes:

GAC (04-12-2024),LiferJim (04-12-2024),Redeyecat (04-17-2024)

Votto took all of March and April to "warm up the Ferrari" or whatever, but that was later in his career.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

10. Likes:

wlf WV (04-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    I just looked up Larkin's career numbers in April, and I wouldn't call them "terrible". Career OPS of .762 in April. Yeah, it's lower than his career numbers, but in no way could that be considered terrible.
    It was watching him at the plate in the early goings. He had his struggles in April. Maybe terrible wasn't the best choice of words.

It was watching him at the plate in the early goings. He had his struggles in April. Maybe terrible wasn't the best choice of words.
    The only real difference between his Aprils and the rest of the months is his SLG.

Definitely skeptical of the candy man, and contracts like this to mid tier veterans always have some level of risk. Glad hes here, instead of say, Senzel, as he has a history that shows hes capable of bouncing back. Im cheering for him. Seems like a great guy that fits the clubhouse well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

14. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-12-2024)

Larkin improved on his early season numbers the last half of his career, but he was terrible to start his seasons his first few years.

In August of '86 when he was called up he hit .246/.277/.344/.621.

In April/May of '87 he was .212/.271/.375/.646.

In April/May of '89 he was .290/.325/.434/.760. (not good for him as he went the next two months .368/.400/.463/.863 & .393/.412/.482/.894)

This was just 3 of 4 seasons, but it was his first 4 seasons, and his Minor League numbers suggested he was close to a .300 hitter and .360 OBP hitter, so when the discussion was being made about him or Stillwell at SS, it wasn't a clear-cut case of Larkin should be the guy when he was starting off slowly...sort of like CES this season, Benson last season (though with Benson, it's more of a platoon vs full-time question). It just started to become a pattern when it was 3 of his first 4 seasons, so there was some questions at the time about his slow starts.

He did correct it, but it was brought up during the beginning of his career.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-12-2024 at 06:53 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

16. Likes:

GAC (04-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Definitely skeptical of the candy man, and contracts like this to mid tier veterans always have some level of risk. Glad he’s here, instead of say, Senzel, as he has a history that shows he’s capable of bouncing back. I’m cheering for him. Seems like a great guy that fits the clubhouse well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For me, it seems that Candelario provides a lot of the leadership void that Votto was responsible for. With a young club, that's important.

- - - Updated - - -

The only real difference between his Aprils and the rest of the months is his SLG.
    Those were career lines. GAC and I were referring to his first few years.

I hate Aprils.

From Lance McAllister

How much do you believe the scrutiny of the slow starts of Jeimer Candelario (7 for 46) and CES (8 for 52) is heightened by the fact they are coming at the start of the season?

Do you recall these stretches in 2023?
    Stephenson 3 for 31 (.097) July 6-July 27
    Steer 4 for 40 (.100) July 5-July 20
    Benson 5 for 35 (.143) August 24-September 5
    Fraley 6 for 42 (.143) May 17-June 1
    India 8 for 52 (.154) June 13-June 28
    Fairchild 6 for 36 (.167) August 7-September 22
    CES 10 for 56 (.179) August 13-August 29
    Friedl 12 for 67 (.179) July 6-July 29
    McLain 7 for 41 (.194) August 19-August 27

19. Likes:

CaiGuy (04-13-2024),Cherokee (04-13-2024),GAC (04-13-2024)

I saw Candy signing like 1991 Braves signing Terry Pendleton who looked done and it was considered by Street & Smith and SI baseball writers as not good enough to help at all. No one thought it would help them take a next step let alone a 20 plus win turnaround. Sid Bream was considered a better signing. They also signed bullpen help for veteran leadership and it was a disaster for them. Doug Sisk. Jim Clancy. Dan Petry. None of them made it the whole season.

Candy is still probably recovering from being hurt very late in ST.

All this Larkin talk makes me wonder if his incompetence as a broadcaster is just due to a slow start as well. He should be good in 5 years.

22. Likes:

GAC (04-16-2024),Redhook (04-14-2024)

Cincinnati Reds 3B Jeimer Candelario takes ill, scratched from Tuesday lineup vs. Mariners
    Reds third baseman Jeimer Candelario was scratched from Tuesday night's lineup because of one of any number of illnesses that have worked their way through the clubhouse the last week or two.

Candelario was 4-for-12 since getting a day off Friday, with a double Saturday, a two-run single Sunday and his second home run of the season Monday night in the series opener against the Seattle Mariners.

Many Reds players and some staff have weathered stomach bugs and assorted other aches and ailments.
    Continue Reading
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...rs/ar-BB1lJWrg

24. Likes:

goreds2 (04-16-2024)

I told the Reds not to eat from skyline, that “food” is garbage. But they didn’t listen.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

26. Likes:

GAC (04-17-2024),LeatherPants (04-16-2024),NebraskaRed (04-16-2024),westofyou (04-17-2024)

Turn Off Ads?