Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frankie Montas Announced as Opening Day Starter

Re: Frankie Montas Announced as Opening Day Starter

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Eh, I hope that Montas has a big year, but I don't think that I would offer him a LTC unless it was pretty short or very team friendly.
    Ok

2. Turn Off Ads?

Id be very hesitant giving Montas any long term extension. Hes turning 31in a couple weeks and only has 2 fully healthy seasons. Looking at his career stats it reminds me of Homer Bailey.

I don't see the Reds extending Montas. If they feel the need for a Veteran starter next year they will find another Montas type. A guy coming off a bad year or injury that's willing to sign a one year deal to rebuild his brand thrn sign a multi year deal with a big market team.

I see no harm for both sides in a modest extension halfway through the season if Montas looks good.

6. Likes:

dragonoffrost (03-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I see no harm for both sides in a modest extension halfway through the season if Montas looks good.
    No harm. But I think Montas will want 4-5 years minimum if he is pitching well and that's too long. Some team will give it to him in the offseason. If he has a nice year.

8. Likes:

GAC (03-12-2024)

Montas wants to show he's back from injury. That's good news for the team. But if he does well, that can also be bad news because he's looking for that last contract/extension that'll carry him to the end of his career. A modest extension would be cool. Just don't see it materializing if he does well in '24.

And (hypothetically speaking/God forbid) if this team is not doing too well at the break; but he is, wouldn't be surprised if he's not trade bait.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Montas has never received a QO before, right? If he pitches really well this year, he will decline his half of the mutual option, the Reds probably offer him the QO, take the draft pick, and move on.

If he’s healthy but just okay from a performance standpoint, a modest extension could be possible.

11. Likes:

mth123 (03-12-2024),wlf WV (03-12-2024)

Let Montas show that he's 100% back to his old form to earn a big payday, reap the rewards of that in 2024, and let some other team hand out said big payday. Between Greene, Lodolo, Abbott, Ashcraft, Williamson, Phillips, Lowder, Petty, Aguair etc they'll be fine in 2025. My guess is they'll look for another short term deal next off season for SP if they feel they need it.

13. Likes:

mth123 (03-12-2024)

This organization really has beaten down the fanbase. Guess they're doing their job well.

I'm not saying let's ink Montas to a deal today, or to give him a 6-year deal if he performs well. But given his injury history, and the fact that he may enjoy playing with this group and being the Ace of a team on the rise, the opportunity might be there for a slightly team-friendly deal. Maybe not.

Sounds like most of you are ready to move on from him, which I find sad.

15. Likes:

dragonoffrost (03-12-2024),JFLegal (03-12-2024),REDREAD (03-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Let Montas show that he's 100% back to his old form to earn a big payday, reap the rewards of that in 2024, and let some other team hand out said big payday. Between Greene, Lodolo, Abbott, Ashcraft, Williamson, Phillips, Lowder, Petty, Aguair etc they'll be fine in 2025. My guess is they'll look for another short term deal next off season for SP if they feel they need it.
    None of those names nor Montas have shown the ability to be at the top of the rotation consistently for a season. The Reds should stockpile assets and then work out the problem if they do get too many good arms ready at one time. Having a surplus to do the job is never a bad thing.

17. Likes:

Mitri (03-12-2024)

None of Abbott, Williamson, Phillips, Petty or Aguiar look to be locks for a future rotation spot. Lots of questions for each guy.

Ashcraft is a solid middle-rotation inning eater.

Lodolo is an injury waiting to happen, never a guy you should plan on.

Greene is a solid member of the rotation who still has Ace upside. I love Lowder, but let's allow him a few professional starts before we make room in the big league rotation for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    This organization really has beaten down the fanbase. Guess they're doing their job well.

I'm not saying let's ink Montas to a deal today, or to give him a 6-year deal if he performs well. But given his injury history, and the fact that he may enjoy playing with this group and being the Ace of a team on the rise, the opportunity might be there for a slightly team-friendly deal. Maybe not.

Sounds like most of you are ready to move on from him, which I find sad.
    If they didn't try to extend Castillo I don't think they'll try to extend Montas. If Montas was a year or two younger it might be different.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (03-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    If they didn't try to extend Castillo I don't think they'll try to extend Montas. If Montas was a year or two younger it might be different.
    I do not believe that Montas fits the mold of the type of pitcher that the Reds would (should) extend myself, I worry more about the shoulder than the age and I'd like to see a summer in the Midwest vs a summer in the cool pacific air before I even would ponder looking to extend the relationship. At this juncture the Reds and Frankie are friends with benefits, each get something out of relationship. See how it works out before shopping for a ring

22. Likes:

CaiGuy (03-12-2024),HokieRed (03-13-2024),JFLegal (03-12-2024),Mitri (03-12-2024),mth123 (03-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It's a good way to tell Greene he's not proven himself yet.
    I agree and also it's the right choice unless Martinez continues to pitch like he has.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by dragonoffrost View Post
    This is the we gave you a contract to come here. Have the opening day start to let the fans think it was a great move....
    But they would not be doing it if he was not pitching very well in ST.

Turn Off Ads?