Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What can you do if your kid is bullied?

Re: What can you do if your kid is bullied?

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    Do you have any children, Steel? I’m just trying to figure out what makes you the authority here and if you really have enough experience to be telling someone they are a bad parent. Either way, you could have easily used a nicer approach, but ironically your approach is very fitting for a thread like this.
    So, Jimmy, you apparently decided (I'm sure boltered by more than a bit of liquid courage) to dredge up a completely dead 10-day old thread to throw a personal attack at someone after whining multiple times that you want that person to leave you alone. Totally seems legit. Cool story.

And just so you know, if you give advice that's likely to cause harm to a child, I'm going to tell you in the strongest possible way that you need to cease and desist giving that advice. Period. You can immediately do away with any nonsense in your head about how I should more gently apply that message.

Now, you're super duper interested in whether or not I have children. I'm not going to tell you that for a couple reasons. First, I reserve the right to share personal details as I see fit rather than on demand. Second, I just love the paradox it creates for your argument that if someone doesn't have children, their lack of experience disqualfies them from having a reasonable understanding of how to keep them safe. What paradox you ask? This one...

Prior to your first child, you had no experience being a parent. As you had no experience raising a child at that time, your own rationale results in a conclusion that you shouldn't have been trusted to have children as you couldn't possibly know how to raise them. Quite the dilemma for ya'.

Yet, you had access to some basic knowledge when your first precious gift arrived, which allowed you to understand at least a couple fundamental concepts of keeping them safe and healty. Don't drop them, for instance. Don't cut them. Feed them. Shelter them. Give them blankets when it's cold. Don't let them touch hot stoves. They shouldn't put their heads in the mouths of live alligators. And, if the child is being abused, get them out of harms way immediately. Apparently that last one got lost somewhere for you, eh? Instead, you're supporting a message that if your child is being abused, do nothing and then just send them back in for more. And you don't even know that if your kid escalates and punches someone, that could be illegal? My oh my. That's awkward.

The thing is, Jim, no one needs to have a child to understand any of those concepts. Here's a list of other more complicated things people can generally figure out for themselves, regardless of experience...

-You don't have to be a physicist to understand that it's a bad idea to jump from a plane without a parachute.
    -Someone who isn't a rock...I mean rocket scientist still knows better than to smoke near the fuel.
    -No one needs to be employed as an auto engineer for General Motors to know how to drive a car.
    -I don't have to be a military munitions genius to understand that purposefully stepping on a land mine could be disastrous.
    -Even though I'm not a chemist, I understand that drinking bleach will almost certainly produce negative results.
    -And I'm no veterinarian, but Jim, sometimes you should just let sleeping dogs lie.

As with those items, and a lot more, no one needs to have experience parenting to understand that if a child is the subject of emotional and/or physical abuse, that child needs to be extracted from that situation immediately- not sent back in and used as a bait-like target for additional abuse to get "evidence". Any child. Every child. Full stop.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

What can you do if your kid is bullied?

Rule 1: Take any parenting advise on a baseball forum with a grain of salt and especially advise from someone, who has zero experience raising children.

I sincerely hope this situation is being resolved for you and your family, Rdirtypirates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LiferJim; 03-30-2024 at 03:49 PM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    Rule 1: Take any parenting advise on a baseball forum with a grain of salt and especially advise from someone, who has zero experience raising children.
    LOL. Sure, Jim.

So, a single, childless 20-something is walking past a grade school playground. He sees a smaller child being beaten by two bigger kids. Should he...

A) Do something to break it up and contact the appropriate authorities to report the incident?
    B) Just let the smaller kid take his beating, under the assumption that his parents will appreciate the assistance in helping with their child's healthy "development"?
    C) Run across the street and knock on doors to find someone who has conceived a child who will give him advice, and then keep knocking until they find a parent who has encountered that exact scenario?

I used to think that anyone would actually know what the right answer is without even thinking twice. However, I'm starting to believe you think that B and C are actually viable, if not preferable, options. Yeesh.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

What can you do if your kid is bullied?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    LOL. Sure, Jim.

So, a single, childless 20-something is walking past a grade school playground. He sees a smaller child being beaten by two bigger kids. Should he...

A) Do something to break it up and contact the appropriate authorities to report the incident?
    B) Just let the smaller kid take his beating, under the assumption that his parents will appreciate the assistance in helping with their child's healthy "development"?
    C) Run across the street and knock on doors to find someone who has conceived a child who will give him advice, and then keep knocking until they find a parent who has encountered that exact scenario?

I used to think that anyone would actually know what the right answer is without even thinking twice. However, I'm starting to believe you think that B and C are actually viable, if not preferable, options. Yeesh.
    Oh brother. So you make up some silly hypothetical scenario and youíre already well aware how I would handle that situation, as I donít tolerate bullies. I thought I already established that, but I can only assume you conveniently missed that. Of course youíre entitled to your opinions, as is anyone else, but most people are intelligent enough, to listen to someone who can give them advice from actual experience.

As far as ignoring you, I was going to, but since you were still responding to my posts in other areas, insulting me, I decided not to. If you donít want to get bitten, Steel, donít poke the bear.

Youíre right, you donít have to be nice when you disagree with someone elseís opinion. Those are your words, not mine. For some people, being nice to others doesnít come naturally and so we certainly shouldnít expect them to speak to someone in a non confrontational way. Old habits apparently die hard

Last edited by LiferJim; 03-30-2024 at 08:46 PM.

6. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-31-2024)

You two need to either place each other on ignore or quit the public bickering. We're not going to tolerate issues from the opt-in area spilling outside of there like the above.

8. Likes:

LiferJim (03-30-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    You two need to either place each other on ignore or quit the public bickering. We're not going to tolerate issues from the opt-in area spilling outside of there like the above.
    Will do. My apologies

I don't know how this would help but when I was in high school I found it easier just to have friends/acquaintances in as many groups as I could. I don't know how I managed it but there was always someone I could rely on to not leave myself completely alone and susceptible. Granted I ended up becoming the class shrink somehow... at one point I could have gotten half the students arrested, suspended for something, or ruin some relationships.

Prayers for your kid, no one should ever have to deal with a bully.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

11. Likes:

LiferJim (04-01-2024),Redsfaithful (04-01-2024)

Turn Off Ads?