Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: The Ohtani Saga

Re: The Ohtani Saga

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot steve View Post
    can they please put Pete Rose in the Hall Of Fame now?
    Comparing the two situations is like tangerines and oranges.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Likes:

dragonoffrost (04-15-2024),GAC (04-14-2024),LiferJim (04-13-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

You should read this, more information on the background of the case

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/...hare_permalink

Ohtani's agent never speaks with Ohtani, all communication was going through the translator.

My biggest takeaway from all of this is that Ohtani is not smart
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think it’s that and his agents really failed him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He's a bubble boy too, been famous since he was a teen, makes more money than he needs and could use considering his 24/7 baseball life style. I read he sleeps about 12 hours each night (Rogers Hornsby would like that)

So, naive, unaware, self absorbed and driven. All the earmarks of a good mark, the kind of guy who hires someone because he likes him, allows him to control his life and doesn't look at the language barrier as something he needs to have checks and balances on.

8. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2024),mth123 (04-14-2024),Roy Tucker (04-14-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Comparing the two situations is like tangerines and oranges.
    Except Pete was a known gambler, had MLB investigations as far back as 1970, was told by Hutchinson to stay away from the track had his name written on betting slips and all that other evidence, but you guys keep on trying

The Ohtani Saga

I learned two things:
    1. Itís perfectly acceptable and believable to conduct a complete about face, as long as youíre protecting baseballs most high profile player
    2. If you shut up and play dumb, people will believe youíre dumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LiferJim; 04-14-2024 at 11:13 AM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    I learned two things:
    1. It’s perfectly acceptable and believable to conduct a complete about face, as long as you’re protecting baseballs most high profile player
    2. If you shut up and play dumb, people will believe you’re dumb

Be quiet and let them think you’re dumb instead of opening your mouth and proving them right.

12. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    You should read this, more information on the background of the case

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/...hare_permalink

Ohtani's agent never speaks with Ohtani, all communication was going through the translator.
    The article simply repeats what the Fed’s investigation is saying. CAA and Ohtani’s agent did not comment on any of this, and did not respond to any questions from the WSJ. This article doesn’t provide any new insight, it just sums up what the Feds said.

What the Feds said is problematic and difficult to believe. CAA deals with many international, non-english speaking clients and does business in Japan all the time. They absolutely have Japanese interpreters that they use all the time. The Feds and the article site that CAA didn’t have a Japanese interpreter for their baseball clients and didn’t hire one for Ohtani. That makes sense. They already have a few on staff, so why hire someone new, just use someone they already have.

And again, for the umpteenth time, no agency, book keeper, money manager is going to take the word of a client about a financial account with their client’s name on it. Especially when the client says that it’s “private.” That would be a gigantic red flag to anyone doing Ohtani’s books.

I have worked with CAA a few times. None of this tracks based on my experience with them. They have actually been a pain to work with because they are so thorough, precise and demanding when it comes to the most minute issue in a contract or agreement. They are sticklers for details, they don’t miss anything. And I am tiny in their universe compared to Ohtani. If they are obsessive sticklers with me, they aren’t going to be more lax with a client who is worth nearly a billion dollars.

It just doesn’t make sense that CAA would be this terrible at their job. What does make sense is that they are smart emojis to come up with legally air tight story that protects their client, after he got himself in a world of trouble. They probably realized that it would be better for them to take the hit from this, than to take the hit that would come from Ohtani getting involved in a criminal case about sports gambling.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2024),JCM11 (04-15-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Except Pete was a known gambler, had MLB investigations as far back as 1970, was told by Hutchinson to stay away from the track had his name written on betting slips and all that other evidence, but you guys keep on trying
    Longer career of evidence, gotcha.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    ďIím a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.Ē - Sean Casey

Not to worry, everyone.

I'm sure Ohtani will be way more careful from now on.

Done and done.

In a completely unrelated note, get 20% off on all parlays today at DraftKings with the coupon code #IDIDNTDOIT
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The article simply repeats what the Fed’s investigation is saying. CAA and Ohtani’s agent did not comment on any of this, and did not respond to any questions from the WSJ. This article doesn’t provide any new insight, it just sums up what the Feds said.

What the Feds said is problematic and difficult to believe. CAA deals with many international, non-english speaking clients and does business in Japan all the time. They absolutely have Japanese interpreters that they use all the time. The Feds and the article site that CAA didn’t have a Japanese interpreter for their baseball clients and didn’t hire one for Ohtani. That makes sense. They already have a few on staff, so why hire someone new, just use someone they already have.

And again, for the umpteenth time, no agency, book keeper, money manager is going to take the word of a client about a financial account with their client’s name on it. Especially when the client says that it’s “private.” That would be a gigantic red flag to anyone doing Ohtani’s books.

I have worked with CAA a few times. None of this tracks based on my experience with them. They have actually been a pain to work with because they are so thorough, precise and demanding when it comes to the most minute issue in a contract or agreement. They are sticklers for details, they don’t miss anything. And I am tiny in their universe compared to Ohtani. If they are obsessive sticklers with me, they aren’t going to be more lax with a client who is worth nearly a billion dollars.

It just doesn’t make sense that CAA would be this terrible at their job. What does make sense is that they are smart emojis to come up with legally air tight story that protects their client, after he got himself in a world of trouble. They probably realized that it would be better for them to take the hit from this, than to take the hit that would come from Ohtani getting involved in a criminal case about sports gambling.
    So if CAA is covering up for Ohtani they are opening themselves to huge liability including jail time for a bunch of their people.

Your theory is that the CAA folks are lying through their teeth to the feds? Because that’s not going to work well for them. You say you’ve worked with them in the past, does lying and going to federal prison seem like something they’d do?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Be quiet and let them think youíre dumb instead of opening your mouth and proving them right.
    Yes, thatís the path he chose. But I donít think heís as naive as some are suggesting.

Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    So if CAA is covering up for Ohtani they are opening themselves to huge liability including jail time for a bunch of their people.

Your theory is that the CAA folks are lying through their teeth to the feds? Because that’s not going to work well for them. You say you’ve worked with them in the past, does lying and going to federal prison seem like something they’d do?
    They are smart enough to come up with a story that is legally air tight, even it it’s not that believable. That’s the story they presented to the Feds, and the Feds have bought it. It makes sense for the Feds to buy this. It gives them an easy conviction, and the victim is not going to back it up.

I am guessing that if this was a murder case, the Feds would investigate further. But’s a fraud case, so as long as the victim is satisfied, they are going to be satisfied.

Edit: Btw, I am certain this not the first time that CAA has concocted a story that was not fully truthful in order to protect a client. They probably have department dedicated just to doing that.
    Last edited by 757690; 04-14-2024 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    As Chip wisely pointed out, the big difference here is that the people Ohtani did business with like him and want to protect him. Pete made enemies everywhere he went. This all came to a head when Pete refused to pay some of those people. They decided to talk then.

21. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2024)

Turn Off Ads?