Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Major Bridge in Baltimore Collaspes

Re: Major Bridge in Baltimore Collaspes

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's been years, but I have traveled that bridge a few times. Easier to take the McHenry tunnel, instead.
    I to used to take the Ft McHenry tunnel as well when I lived in "Balmore"

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm driving down to DC next week. Thinking of cutting across the Eastern Shore and coming through Annapolis to avoid what might be a perma-jam from DC up through Baltimore.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm driving down to DC next week. Thinking of cutting across the Eastern Shore and coming through Annapolis to avoid what might be a perma-jam from DC up through Baltimore.
    I'd do that, having lived a post earthquake world the closing of a bridge/highway in a big city can be a nightmare

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge (not to be confused with the Bridge-Tunnel) can get jammed as well, and I suspect a lot of travelers will do what you're doing.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Biden should put Pete Buttigieg in charge with a moon shot effort level to rebuild the bridge.

That bridge is essential to the east coast economy.

Perfect timing to show how important the infrastructure bill is to the country.

Unlimited amount of free press and a chance to show that we can still do things.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

7. Likes:

757690 (03-28-2024),Chip R (03-27-2024),M2 (03-27-2024),Redsfaithful (03-27-2024),SunDeck (03-27-2024),westofyou (03-26-2024),WrongVerb (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Biden should put Pete Buttigieg in charge with a moon shot effort level to rebuild the bridge.

That bridge is essential to the east coast economy.

Perfect timing to show how important the infrastructure bill is to the country.

Unlimited amount of free press and a chance to show that we can still do things.
    There’s far more traffic that goes over our Brent Spence bridge and we had to wait a decade or so to get our money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes:

Betterread (03-27-2024)

Things that make you go hmmm...

What are the odds that a tanker's power goes out right before colliding with one of the most important bridges in the United States? And, colliding in the specific part of the bridge that would collapse the entire bridge? I'm not sure what facts will be released in upcoming days, but this seems fishy (no pun intended). Was it as cyber attack? I have no idea how cyber attacks work or if this was a cyber attack, but it just seems like it'd be nearly impossible, odds-wise, for a tanker to lose power in this exact situation.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post

What are the odds that a tanker's power goes out right before colliding with one of the most important bridges in the United States? And, colliding in the specific part of the bridge that would collapse the entire bridge? I'm not sure what facts will be released in upcoming days, but this seems fishy (no pun intended). Was it as cyber attack? I have no idea how cyber attacks work or if this was a cyber attack, but it just seems like it'd be nearly impossible, odds-wise, for a tanker to lose power in this exact situation.
    Occum say hi

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Occum say hi
    Possibly and I hope it's that simple because the flip side kind of stinks. With the technology and criminals out there, nothing would surprise me.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The Chesapeake Bay Bridge (not to be confused with the Bridge-Tunnel) can get jammed as well, and I suspect a lot of travelers will do what you're doing.
    Back in 2017 I spent a pretty much a whole damn day driving from Richmond to Baltimore. Was just an anonymous weekday and I thought I was hitting it in between rush hours. So I'm just trying to figure out my least bad option. Starting to give serious thought to taking the train.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

You could also go the Tappenzee down to 78 west to Harrisburg then come in from the NW. It is a longer mileage wise but at least you will keep moving and avoid the cities. I drove Manchester NH to DC on a Saturday about a month ago and even with it being Sat PM traffic was bad most of the way except NJ. Came back via the west and it was far more relaxing.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There’s far more traffic that goes over our Brent Spence bridge and we had to wait a decade or so to get our money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are very different sized and used bridges. Early estimates are that it will cost between $350 - $600 million to replace FSK and a current estimate for replacement of Brent Spence is $3.6 billion.

30,000 vehicles per day (ADT - avg. daily traffic) on FSK Bridge
    170,000 vehicles per day (ADT) on Brent Spence bridge

FSK carries mainly port traffic, so key last mile, supply chain, commodities movement versus commuters and commodities on Brent Spence.
    Last edited by Betterread; 03-27-2024 at 08:38 AM.

What do you know about the engineering operations on board a Neopanamax class container ship?

- - - Updated - - -

Back in 2017 I spent a pretty much a whole damn day driving from Richmond to Baltimore. Was just an anonymous weekday and I thought I was hitting it in between rush hours. So I'm just trying to figure out my least bad option. Starting to give serious thought to taking the train.
    That would be a great option for you, I think.

And yes, it can be ridiculous traveling up and down I-95. For some reason, Virginia thinks 2-3 lanes each way should be good enough to carry ALL of the commercial, commuter, and long-distance travel going up and down the eastern seaboard.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Possibly and I hope it's that simple because the flip side kind of stinks. With the technology and criminals out there, nothing would surprise me.
    "I can imagine some bad stuff that could happen" isn't a good basis for even speculating that "bad stuff" did happen.

18. Likes:

westofyou (03-27-2024)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    Wow.

I’m amazed as well how there’s video cameras everywhere these days to show stuff like this.
    It's all a conspiracy. The aliens done it!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

20. Likes:

westofyou (03-27-2024)

Turn Off Ads?