Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No, You Aren't Good Enough To Hit .100 vs MLB Pitching

Re: No, You Aren't Good Enough To Hit .100 vs MLB Pitching

As far as I know, I was 2 for maybe 11 against MLB pitchers. With 4 or 5 Ks. Granted, all of those ABs took place against 12 year old or high school versions of the Major Leaguers, and both hits came against a guy none of you have heard of who threw about 7 MLB innings.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-26-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

People are absolutely delusional.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

5. Likes:

Redsfaithful (03-26-2024),Ron Madden (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    They used to have batting cages down at Lunken Playfield, in Cincinnati when I was in middle school. 7th or 8th grade. It was cool. They had softball and baseball, slow pitch, fast pitch.

Fast pitch, they said, was 80-90 mph.

I played baseball at the time. So I thought I might try the 80-90 cage, for fun. I put my quarters in, helmet on, stepped into the cage, I was ready.

The first pitch was absolutely high and tight. I think. I didn't see it, but I heard it. That's when I knew for sure what they meant when they said "chin music."

I walked right back out of the cage. That one pitch was plenty enough to tell me I didn't belong there.
    Many years ago I went up to Blue Ash where they had indoor batting cages. I was hitting at the lowest speed and those usually are just lobbed in there. This one actually threw breaking pitches and I just could not hit those to save my life. I mihgt get lucky and foul tick something but otherwise I woudn't have a prayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-26-2024)

Hardest thing to do in sports.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-26-2024)

I wouldn't stand a chance

Closest I've got is a double off a career triple A minor leaguer in high school.... of course he plays 3rd base now so not sure if that counts any LOL

Zack Cox if anyone was wondering... had an amazing college career with the Razorbacks.
    Last edited by The Kid; 03-26-2024 at 05:09 PM.
    “As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves.”
    -- Ken Griffey, Jr.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Yeah well they don’t know that for a fact until they sign me and pay me a minimum major league salary to find out.

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-26-2024),dubc47834 (03-28-2024),pahster (03-28-2024),RedTeamGo! (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Many years ago I went up to Blue Ash where they had indoor batting cages. I was hitting at the lowest speed and those usually are just lobbed in there. This one actually threw breaking pitches and I just could not hit those to save my life. I mihgt get lucky and foul tick something but otherwise I woudn't have a prayer.
    Machines that throw breaking balls are easier to find now, but the first place I saw them was in Cooperstown next to Doubleday Field. Had machines throwing 50 mph overhand curves, 65 mph screwballs, 70 mph sliders, that kind of thing. Each machine was labeled with the pitch it was throwing, so no surprises.

Even knowing exactly the pitch that was coming, those machines were devastating.

15. Likes:

Chip R (03-29-2024),Ron Madden (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I doubt the average ex high school baseball player who is still relatively young would be that much worse than what pitchers were hitting in the NL before the DH came in.
    The average MLB pitcher was, in high school, the best hitter in his conference, perhaps the best in the conference in a decade. "The average ex high school baseball player who is still relatively young" would look like a damn fool against MLB pitching.

17. Likes:

Chip R (03-29-2024),Old school 1983 (03-28-2024),Ron Madden (03-26-2024)

Those people are nuts. lol I remember my senior year in 1981, we were facing a kid named Brandenburg, from New Miami school. He was rumored to throw around 90 mph. I only touched the ball once in 3 at bats. I got lucky as heck in my 2nd at bat, swinging late and hitting a ground ball down the left field line for a double. I was hitting left handed because he was a right hander and I definitely didn’t scorch the ball. I don’t know if he really threw 90 or not, but it sure seemed like it. lol. I was so proud of myself that day, but was also well aware that hit was sheer luck.

If I got 100 at bats today against only fastballs, I wouldn’t get a hit, for two reasons. One, I suck at age 61 and two, I would most likely pull a muscle in my 1st at bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

19. Likes:

Chip R (03-29-2024),Ron Madden (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I doubt the average ex high school baseball player who is still relatively young would be that much worse than what pitchers were hitting in the NL before the DH came in.
    The average ex HS baseball player is not nearly the athlete you seem to think they are.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

21. Likes:

pahster (03-28-2024),RedTeamGo! (03-26-2024),Ron Madden (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    The average MLB pitcher was, in high school, the best hitter in his conference, perhaps the best in the conference in a decade. "The average ex high school baseball player who is still relatively young" would look like a damn fool against MLB pitching.
    I played with/against three MLB pitchers. All three were dreadful high school hitters.

Come to think of it, only one of them was a starting pitcher in the NL, so a decent test case for this sort of thing. For his career, he had 58 plate appearances. He was 3 for 45 (.067) with 3 BBs and 17Ks. He successfully executed 10 sac bunts.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 03-26-2024 at 05:40 PM.

If there's something less than .000 I'd bat that.

24. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-26-2024),Chip R (03-29-2024),OldFashionedRed (03-26-2024),RedsfaninMT (03-26-2024)

If I had a big enough bat, I could do some real damage. As long as the wall was just behind the infield dirt.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

I love telling the uneducated that bc I batted .667 in little league before quitting baseball that I somehow missed my calling and could’ve turned into Joey Votto. We’re the same age.

I’m fully aware that I wouldn’t record one single hit.

Turn Off Ads?