Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No, You Aren't Good Enough To Hit .100 vs MLB Pitching

Re: No, You Aren't Good Enough To Hit .100 vs MLB Pitching

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'm a little worried about the methodology on this one, considering the results said A's fans believe they could hit on average .362. Either there's a bunch of troll responses that never got filtered out or that is the dumbest fan base of all time.
    Well, giving them the benefit of the doubt, they may have been basing that solely off A's pitching.

2. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-26-2024),Danny Serafini (03-27-2024),LiferJim (03-26-2024),Old school 1983 (03-28-2024),UKFlounder (03-26-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I could throw this football over them mountains
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-26-2024),Bourgeois Zee (03-26-2024),Chip R (03-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The average ex HS baseball player is not nearly the athlete you seem to think they are.
    My friends brother was one of the better hitters in NW Ohio when he was in high school. He faced Chad Billingsley once. He got a hit off of him after K’ing first two times up. We were all stoked because we knew this was a future pro player. After the game we asked him about, he just laughed and said, “I just put the bat out there and made contact. Somehow it found a hole. To be honest my eyes were closed.”

Again, this was one of the betters hitters in the area. The idea random ex HS players could go out there and get some hits against a major leaguer is crazy.

As for the before the DH comment. Most major league pitchers were the best hitter on their HS team and some on their college team.

7. Likes:

Redsfaithful (03-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My friends brother was one of the better hitters in NW Ohio when he was in high school. He faced Chad Billingsley once. He got a hit off of him after K’ing first two times up. We were all stoked because we knew this was a future pro player. After the game we asked him about, he just laughed and said, “I just put the bat out there and made contact. Somehow it found a hole. To be honest my eyes were closed.”

Again, this was one of the betters hitters in the area. The idea random ex HS players could go out there and get some hits against a major leaguer is crazy.

As for the before the DH comment. Most major league pitchers were the best hitter on their HS team and some on their college team.
    There are levels and levels and levels to every single sport. Some people think these guys are just a couple of tiers better and I don't know how you get them to see reality.

Your story makes me think about how I always point out to people that the vast majority of people have literally never even seen a pro athlete in action as a kid or in high school. Sure, if you live in a major city and play large school sports (or watch as a fan) but there's millions and millions of people who grow up more rural who never see it or see it once or twice in a lifetime. This is actually one of the reasons I love Joe Burrow so much. Nobody come out of southeastern Ohio.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-26-2024)

I got a hard single to left off ex-red Mike Roesler in a mens league tournament 10 years ago. I think with reps most players who played at a relatively high level would hit a few ball fair out of 100 honestly. Not hits or ropes but they would hit the ball.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    There are levels and levels and levels to every single sport. Some people think these guys are just a couple of tiers better and I don't know how you get them to see reality.

Your story makes me think about how I always point out to people that the vast majority of people have literally never even seen a pro athlete in action as a kid or in high school. Sure, if you live in a major city and play large school sports (or watch as a fan) but there's millions and millions of people who grow up more rural who never see it or see it once or twice in a lifetime. This is actually one of the reasons I love Joe Burrow so much. Nobody come out of southeastern Ohio.
    Yep. We had a future NBA player at my HS and it’s just a different animal.

I play in a semi-competitive age 35+ softball league each summer. It's a combo of dudes who are out there just having fun, some dudes who are weekend warriors and others who played high-level competitive softball at a younger age who still enjoy the game. Some dudes can flat out hit. The fence varies from 330-370 feet and some dudes regularly hit it out of the ballpark.

Anyway, a few years ago on the last week of the season one of the guys on an opposing team brought his adult son to sub cause they were short guys (the age 35+ rule was set aside for this guy). His adult son just finished wrapping up his season in the minor leagues and was in the Yankees farm system, drafted out of college as a pitcher in a middle round.

This guy was a ho-hum minor league relief pitcher and was in Low A at the time (he would eventually make it as high as AA). Basically "just a guy" in the minors.

But on this softball field? You knew when he stepped up to the plate. You also stopped what you were doing when a ball was hit in the field toward him. He nearly decapitated his first baseman throwing seeds across the diamond from shortstop. The ball sounded and looked different off his bat. His arm strength throwing a softball, whether from shortstop or the outfield, was insane. I couldn't imagine picking up a baseball bat, sending him to a mound and trying to hit off the guy.

It's one thing watching guys on TV or even from afar in the box seats. It's different when you pick up a bat or put on a glove and step out on a field (even softball) against that kind of talent. And this is a guy who topped out at AA.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

13. Likes:

pahster (03-28-2024)

I've seen tee ballers with better swings than Johnny Cueto and he hit .069.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I've seen tee ballers with better swings than Johnny Cueto and he hit .069.
    Haha Cueto is literally who I had in mind when I said “most”

Haha Cueto is literally who I had in mind when I said “most”
    Again, small sample size, but I've really only known/played against 4 MLB pitchers, and for all 4 there were literally 250 better hitters in Louisville high schools their senior years. One of those guys hit .067 in 58 MLB plate appearances. So let's not get it twisted: a decent high school bat would absolutely suck in the MLB, of course. But if they stayed in shape and kept taking a little BP over the years, they'd get some hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Again, small sample size, but I've really only known/played against 4 MLB pitchers, and for all 4 there were literally 250 better hitters in Louisville high schools their senior years. One of those guys hit .067 in 58 MLB plate appearances. So let's not get it twisted: a decent high school bat would absolutely suck in the MLB, of course. But if they stayed in shape and kept taking a little BP over the years, they'd get some hits.

If they played a bit they could throw the bat out and hit a few. I was an above average high school player and I play in mens leagues. I have played against many former minor league players and a few ex-mlb players and I got hits off them. I don’t have delusions about playing at a high level but it’s not as impossible as some make it out to be.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-28-2024)

Not only is hitting a 90 plus mph fastball difficult, but once you hit it, you have to run 90 feet to first base. It's a lot longer than most of these "fans" think it is.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Not only is hitting a 90 plus mph fastball difficult, but once you hit it, you have to run 90 feet to first base. It's a lot longer than most of these "fans" think it is.
    Also factor in the world class defense so that when you make your soft contact it's going to get converted into an out most of the time.

The thread title is "hit .100" not get a random hit here and there. I do think an ex-HS player could get a hit.

A random person could win a point off of Djokovic too since theoretically he could shank one.

Getting a hit 10% of the time you go to the plate (probably not going to walk, so we can just call it a straight 10%) is a pretty tall order.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I like telling the story of a high school buddy of mine. He attended Fairmont, while I didn't. Anyway, he pitched. One time they played Moeller. Ken Griffey Jr. Was there at the time. They still haven't found a couple of the balls he hit off my buddy.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I don’t have delusions about playing at a high level but it’s not as impossible as some make it out to be.
    Agree....but the other key thing as I'm thinking about this is that the "average fan" who thinks they could hit .100 is also out of shape and hasn't taken a real batting practice in 5, 10, 20 or 40 years. They'd be amazed at how quickly whatever skills they might have had as a kid/high schooler have diminished.

Turn Off Ads?