Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I agree on defense.

Offensively the improvement last year came from adding John Welch to the coaching staff. Welch didn't follow Cal to Arkansas and likely was going to go with Wahlberg regardless. With the players Cal is bringing in at Arkansas next year I expect those numbers to dip.

Comparing Pope to Tubby though is apples to asparagus for a number of reasons. Can you imagine Tubby investing in an analytics coach? That's basically what Cody Fuegers role is on the staff. Cal tried it with Joel Justus before deciding to put all of his emphasis on recruiting only.

Btw, if choosing anything over talent leads to 10 loss seasons and early tournament exits, how exactly would you describe the last five years?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Talent doessn't always win. UK and Cal has proved that during most of his tenure at UK.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Talent doessn't always win. UK and Cal has proved that during most of his tenure at UK.
    You're right. Talent doesn't always win, but if I have to choose, I'm going with the most talent all the time. More times than not, talent outs. Calipari went the Pope/UConn route and that's when Cal began struggling to win in the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    You're right. Talent doesn't always win, but if I have to choose, I'm going with the most talent all the time. More times than not, talent outs. Calipari went the Pope/UConn route and that's when Cal began struggling to win in the NCAA.
    And when he went back to all talent all the time we got what he had last year against Oakland.

The talent on that team was on par with 2010, 2012, and 2016 coming in. DJ Wagner and Justin Edwards were top 5 recruits and submarined their draft stocks in what is going to be a pretty weak NBA draft.

Cal began struggling to win because he refused to change. He's essentially the Dabo Swinney of college basketball at this point. Built a legacy off of one and done and the dribble drive but when the game changed he didn't just like Dabo.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

By Christmas UK Fanbase will be rumbling at full throttle, by end of January they will be ready to replace the whole roster, by SEC Tournament time (will they even make the SEC Tournament???) they will be after Pope...........in other words, UK fanbase wont be able to handle what is coming for the 24-25 season.

Pope new what he was signing up for, they will eat him alive.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    By Christmas UK Fanbase will be rumbling at full throttle, by end of January they will be ready to replace the whole roster, by SEC Tournament time (will they even make the SEC Tournament???) they will be after Pope...........in other words, UK fanbase wont be able to handle what is coming for the 24-25 season.

Given the circumstances I think most knowledgeable (cannot emphasize that enough) fans will give Pope a pass for this season coming up. Only one freshman was left that would have had an impact on next year's team and he understandably picked UConn (McNeely).

Years 2 and 3 is where I will judge Pope. Although this year's team could possibly make some noise if everything clicks.

That said, if Pope isn't the answer I don't want Barnhart making the choice on his replacement. I really didn't want him making the choice on replacing Cal after giving him the lifetime contract. Kentucky was fortunate that the boosters and fans starved Cal out to where Arkansas was more appealing and they didn't have to eat the contract.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post

Nah. The fans know the situation with an all-new roster and new staff. And Pope knowing what he signed up is a good thing. He already a good first impression and that will help if the team struggles this year. The fans like him and his respect for the program and will support him and the team.

If the team plays with an actual system (not just “out-athlete” opponents) plays hard and Pope shows coaching adjustments, strategies, etc. the fans will be fine. Focusing on winning games instead of mere draft positioning will help too, snd if the better players start and play instead of the “promised ones” (e.g. Wagner, and Edwards) that will help even more.

P.S. All conference teams make the SEC tournament, so yes they will be there. And they’ll even have a coach who understand it matters instead if one who ignored it.

8. Likes:

WVRed (05-20-2024)

One thing ive noticed since Cal is gone and Pope is coach:

"Recruiting Insiders" are a thing again trying to make a buck. Even seen Marc Maggard on Twitter after he disappeared during Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Noah is from the area I am from. My high school along with two others consolidated to make Harlan County High in 2008. This is really a big deal for the people of that area. Not many have come from Harlan County to play basketball at UK. The last one was Dickie Parsons in the late 50's to early 60's and he later became a longtime assistant for Joe B Hall. Before him was Wah Wah Jones who played on Rupp's first two national champions in the late 40's. I hope Noah does well at UK and makes those folks down there even more proud of him.
    Being from Corbin, I've been able to watch Trent play a lot of basketball. He's a stone cold assassin as a competitor, especially in crunch time. Love his on-court demeanor. No trash-talking, no excessive celebrations or trying to embarrass an opponent. Kid just keeps his head down and plays hard. Never have seen him argue with a ref. Good get by Pope. Originally committed to South Carolina.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

11. Likes:

jrdunnit (05-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Being from Corbin, I've been able to watch Trent play a lot of basketball. He's a stone cold assassin as a competitor, especially in crunch time. Love his on-court demeanor. No trash-talking, no excessive celebrations or trying to embarrass an opponent. Kid just keeps his head down and plays hard. Never have seen him argue with a ref. Good get by Pope. Originally committed to South Carolina.
    I hope he does well. He is about the only reason I will probably watch some games this year. I am just very discouraged how college sports has turned in just a few years. Basically since the pandemic. From NIL, to uninhibited transferring, to the conferences in just complete upheaval. IMO its just a complete mess.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?