Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

I get a good chuckle when people bring up Petino going back to UK...
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Don't let the meatball roll under the table.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Don't let the meatball roll under the table.
    I'll try!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Mark Pope is extremely smart, passionate, and loves the program. It's yet to be seen how he can recruit, but I don't even know what recruiting means anymore in 2024. He's gonna get a war chest of NIL money to play with; let's see how that goes.

Honestly, I like the Pitino idea if he came in as a GM-like figure, which is probably the next step for college basketball. It's a lot on a coach to handle in this era between NIL, the portal, traditional recruiting, and Xs and Os (as we saw with Cal).
    I've actually read suggestions for Nazr Mohammed. I could really get behind it if that happens.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    It's no different with WVU "fans" wanting Rich Rod back. Nothing any coach ever does will satiate their desire to bring back RR. Even though many have tried to explain why it would be absolutely stupid for them to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    It's no different with WVU "fans" wanting Rich Rod back. Nothing any coach ever does will satiate their desire to bring back RR. Even though many have tried to explain why it would be absolutely stupid for them to do so.
    In the situation i described I think it would have worked. Pope is going to be walking into a mess that never should have happened.

Trust me, my Facebook feed has been littered with friends of mine in Northeast Kentucky who wanted Pitino back and no one else.

I posted earlier in this thread but the UK fan base is split like WVU football has been since RichRod left. You have a generation who grew up during the 2010-2015 era and they want to get back to that just like the mid 2000s WVU football fans.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Mark and I have a mutual friend. I have met Mark. He is one of the nicest humblest guys I've met.
    He absolutely loves Kentucky. He will work tirelessly. If you can win at BYU with those recruiting restrictions you can absolutely win big at Kentucky. He will be able to recruit on a completely different level at UK.
    Same people that were complaining about being a NBA farm team will now complain if the roster doesn't have ten 5 stars.
    I think Mark will have some 5 stars and some one and done players mixed with several 4 stars who will actually stay multiple years. The thing that most of the fan base was screaming for.

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Mark and I have a mutual friend. I have met Mark. He is one of the nicest humblest guys I've met.
    He absolutely loves Kentucky. He will work tirelessly. If you can win at BYU with those recruiting restrictions you can absolutely win big at Kentucky. He will be able to recruit on a completely different level at UK.
    Same people that were complaining about being a NBA farm team will now complain if the roster doesn't have ten 5 stars.
    I think Mark will have some 5 stars and some one and done players mixed with several 4 stars who will actually stay multiple years. The thing that most of the fan base was screaming for.
    I've come around the more I've seen. Especially the former players and the Rick Pitino endorsement.

Honestly once it got past Hurley, Drew and Donovan no choice was going to make everyone happy. I think of Chris Beard. Do you think Kentucky fans would have accepted someone who allegedly beat his fiancee? Same with Bruce Pearl and his baggage. Sean Miller did less with more than Calipari ever thought about. Underwood and Smart wouldn't have played a style that fans would have been happy with.

Recruiting and lack of postseason success are my issues but when you consider Duke and UNC went internal and they are fine it's a moot point.

11. Likes:

jrdunnit (04-15-2024),KeefeCato (04-13-2024),Revering4Blue (04-13-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I've come around the more I've seen. Especially the former players and the Rick Pitino endorsement.

Honestly once it got past Hurley, Drew and Donovan no choice was going to make everyone happy. I think of Chris Beard. Do you think Kentucky fans would have accepted someone who allegedly beat his fiancee? Same with Bruce Pearl and his baggage. Sean Miller did less with more than Calipari ever thought about. Underwood and Smart wouldn't have played a style that fans would have been happy with.

Recruiting and lack of postseason success are my issues but when you consider Duke and UNC went internal and they are fine it's a moot point.

I don't think they ever considered Pearl or Beard. I just don't think Barnhart would even give those two a thought
    I think Pope will recruit fine without the crazy BYU restrictions. Time will tell though. Recruiting would be my only concern. He can coach. Not many BYU teams even make the tournament. So I'm not concerned he hasn't won a tournament game. He was going against much better talented teams in most cases.

Certainly an impressive first impression at the fun press conference. (Yes, "fun press conference" LOL)

14. Likes:

KeefeCato (04-15-2024)

I have been away and hadn't got a chance to comment on Pope's hiring. First off I hope he does very well. I think he could be a breath of fresh air after Cal's salesman job over the last few years. You never know he could turn out to be a great hire. He is just very unproven. He did well at BYU but that isn't the same as UK. He has played here so he should know the pressure he will be under. I am more than willing to give him a long leash to get things in order. Unless he can talk Shepard into staying, next season my be a rough one for him. I am not sure how the fans overall will be patient enough.

Sounded like Barnhart put all his eggs into the Drew basket and then had to settle for plan D with Pope. If Pope is a failure then Barnhart will probably be putting in his retirement papers pretty quickly.

I guess us UK and IU fans should get together for those glory day talks at the local pub. I'm not sure either program is going to see high level success for quite a while now, if ever again.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

16. Likes:

WVRed (04-14-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I have been away and hadn't got a chance to comment on Pope's hiring. First off I hope he does very well. I think he could be a breath of fresh air after Cal's salesman job over the last few years. You never know he could turn out to be a great hire. He is just very unproven. He did well at BYU but that isn't the same as UK. He has played here so he should know the pressure he will be under. I am more than willing to give him a long leash to get things in order. Unless he can talk Shepard into staying, next season my be a rough one for him. I am not sure how the fans overall will be patient enough.

Sounded like Barnhart put all his eggs into the Drew basket and then had to settle for plan D with Pope. If Pope is a failure then Barnhart will probably be putting in his retirement papers pretty quickly.

I guess us UK and IU fans should get together for those glory day talks at the local pub. I'm not sure either program is going to see high level success for quite a while now, if ever again.
    I think Kentucky can get back to it. They will still be able to recruit and will be able to be a player in NIL.

Going from Cal to Pope is like going from a televangelist to the cool youth pastor. The most refreshing part to me is the identity reset. You have someone who is proud of the name of the front of the jersey instead of one who promotes Players First who have no loyalty to the university once they are off to the NBA.

Fans just need to temper expectations. We aren't going to be in on every McDonalds All American and that's fine. It's all about fit. If we can get 1-2 and build the rest through 4 star/3 high three star recruits who will stay more than 1 year and the transfer portal to fill in the rest he will be successful.

Three games next season will define the start. Duke, Louisville, and Arkansas, with the latter two being at home. Louisville might be the easiest of the three.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-14-2024)

I think Kentucky can get back to it. They will still be able to recruit and will be able to be a player in NIL.

Going from Cal to Pope is like going from a televangelist to the cool youth pastor. The most refreshing part to me is the identity reset. You have someone who is proud of the name of the front of the jersey instead of one who promotes Players First who have no loyalty to the university once they are off to the NBA.

Fans just need to temper expectations. We aren't going to be in on every McDonalds All American and that's fine. It's all about fit. If we can get 1-2 and build the rest through 4 star/3 high three star recruits who will stay more than 1 year and the transfer portal to fill in the rest he will be successful.

Three games next season will define the start. Duke, Louisville, and Arkansas, with the latter two being at home. Louisville might be the easiest of the three.

Yes it will be refreshing to have a coach put the program first. It didn't take long to be tired of the NBA mentality that Cal promoted. Maybe UKs best day will be a national championship and not a bunch first round picks that couldn't win a tournament game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Louisville might be the easiest of the three.
    How could one even speculate at this point? Louisville's got like three players right now. They could be the #1 team in the country or the #300 team. How many players does Kentucky have left themselves? 3 or 4?

Will be a bit easier to tell who is going to have easy games against who in a month or two when we have an idea of who is actually going to play for all of these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    How could one even speculate at this point? Louisville's got like three players right now. They could be the #1 team in the country or the #300 team. How many players does Kentucky have left themselves? 3 or 4?

Will be a bit easier to tell who is going to have easy games against who in a month or two when we have an idea of who is actually going to play for all of these teams.
    Two. Just picked up a commitment today from a kid committed to BYU who was doing mission work for two years.

Comparing Louisville, Duke and Arkansas though:

Duke is bringing in the no 1 recruiting class which has the next big prospect in Cooper Flagg, among others. They are being projected to be top 2 with UConn next year. Easy call there.

Arkansas is basically going to be Great Value Kentucky in taking all of the players Cal had last year minus Bradshaw who wouldn't have came back to UK anyways.

You pretty much nailed Louisville on the head. Duke and Arkansas aren't in the same boat though as Kentucky or Louisville right now, it's just full on rebuilding.

22. Likes:

Boston Red (04-16-2024)

Turn Off Ads?