Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 162

Thread: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

  1. #136
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mid Atlantic, USA
    Posts
    16,370

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I agree on defense.

    Offensively the improvement last year came from adding John Welch to the coaching staff. Welch didn't follow Cal to Arkansas and likely was going to go with Wahlberg regardless. With the players Cal is bringing in at Arkansas next year I expect those numbers to dip.

    Comparing Pope to Tubby though is apples to asparagus for a number of reasons. Can you imagine Tubby investing in an analytics coach? That's basically what Cody Fuegers role is on the staff. Cal tried it with Joel Justus before deciding to put all of his emphasis on recruiting only.

    Btw, if choosing anything over talent leads to 10 loss seasons and early tournament exits, how exactly would you describe the last five years?

    Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Talent doessn't always win. UK and Cal has proved that during most of his tenure at UK.
    Reds Fan Since 1971


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,173

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Talent doessn't always win. UK and Cal has proved that during most of his tenure at UK.
    You're right. Talent doesn't always win, but if I have to choose, I'm going with the most talent all the time. More times than not, talent outs. Calipari went the Pope/UConn route and that's when Cal began struggling to win in the NCAA.

  4. #138
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,597

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    You're right. Talent doesn't always win, but if I have to choose, I'm going with the most talent all the time. More times than not, talent outs. Calipari went the Pope/UConn route and that's when Cal began struggling to win in the NCAA.
    And when he went back to all talent all the time we got what he had last year against Oakland.

    The talent on that team was on par with 2010, 2012, and 2016 coming in. DJ Wagner and Justin Edwards were top 5 recruits and submarined their draft stocks in what is going to be a pretty weak NBA draft.

    Cal began struggling to win because he refused to change. He's essentially the Dabo Swinney of college basketball at this point. Built a legacy off of one and done and the dribble drive but when the game changed he didn't just like Dabo.

    Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  5. #139
    Member plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    178

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    By Christmas UK Fanbase will be rumbling at full throttle, by end of January they will be ready to replace the whole roster, by SEC Tournament time (will they even make the SEC Tournament???) they will be after Pope...........in other words, UK fanbase wont be able to handle what is coming for the 24-25 season.




    Pope new what he was signing up for, they will eat him alive.

  6. #140
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,597

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    By Christmas UK Fanbase will be rumbling at full throttle, by end of January they will be ready to replace the whole roster, by SEC Tournament time (will they even make the SEC Tournament???) they will be after Pope...........in other words, UK fanbase wont be able to handle what is coming for the 24-25 season.




    Pope new what he was signing up for, they will eat him alive.
    Given the circumstances I think most knowledgeable (cannot emphasize that enough) fans will give Pope a pass for this season coming up. Only one freshman was left that would have had an impact on next year's team and he understandably picked UConn (McNeely).

    Years 2 and 3 is where I will judge Pope. Although this year's team could possibly make some noise if everything clicks.

    That said, if Pope isn't the answer I don't want Barnhart making the choice on his replacement. I really didn't want him making the choice on replacing Cal after giving him the lifetime contract. Kentucky was fortunate that the boosters and fans starved Cal out to where Arkansas was more appealing and they didn't have to eat the contract.

    Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  7. #141
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    2,886

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    By Christmas UK Fanbase will be rumbling at full throttle, by end of January they will be ready to replace the whole roster, by SEC Tournament time (will they even make the SEC Tournament???) they will be after Pope...........in other words, UK fanbase wont be able to handle what is coming for the 24-25 season.




    Pope new what he was signing up for, they will eat him alive.
    Nah. The fans know the situation with an all-new roster and new staff. And Pope knowing what he signed up is a good thing. He already a good first impression and that will help if the team struggles this year. The fans like him and his respect for the program and will support him and the team.

    If the team plays with an actual system (not just “out-athlete” opponents) plays hard and Pope shows coaching adjustments, strategies, etc. the fans will be fine. Focusing on winning games instead of mere draft positioning will help too, snd if the better players start and play instead of the “promised ones” (e.g. Wagner, and Edwards) that will help even more.

    P.S. All conference teams make the SEC tournament, so yes they will be there. And they’ll even have a coach who understand it matters instead if one who ignored it.

  8. Likes:

    WVRed (05-20-2024)

  9. #142
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,597

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    One thing ive noticed since Cal is gone and Pope is coach:

    "Recruiting Insiders" are a thing again trying to make a buck. Even seen Marc Maggard on Twitter after he disappeared during Cal.

    Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #143
    Member Ky Fried Redleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the original 11 herbs & spices
    Posts
    3,241

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Noah is from the area I am from. My high school along with two others consolidated to make Harlan County High in 2008. This is really a big deal for the people of that area. Not many have come from Harlan County to play basketball at UK. The last one was Dickie Parsons in the late 50's to early 60's and he later became a longtime assistant for Joe B Hall. Before him was Wah Wah Jones who played on Rupp's first two national champions in the late 40's. I hope Noah does well at UK and makes those folks down there even more proud of him.
    Being from Corbin, I've been able to watch Trent play a lot of basketball. He's a stone cold assassin as a competitor, especially in crunch time. Love his on-court demeanor. No trash-talking, no excessive celebrations or trying to embarrass an opponent. Kid just keeps his head down and plays hard. Never have seen him argue with a ref. Good get by Pope. Originally committed to South Carolina.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

    "Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

  11. Likes:

    jrdunnit (05-23-2024)

  12. #144
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mid Atlantic, USA
    Posts
    16,370

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Being from Corbin, I've been able to watch Trent play a lot of basketball. He's a stone cold assassin as a competitor, especially in crunch time. Love his on-court demeanor. No trash-talking, no excessive celebrations or trying to embarrass an opponent. Kid just keeps his head down and plays hard. Never have seen him argue with a ref. Good get by Pope. Originally committed to South Carolina.
    I hope he does well. He is about the only reason I will probably watch some games this year. I am just very discouraged how college sports has turned in just a few years. Basically since the pandemic. From NIL, to uninhibited transferring, to the conferences in just complete upheaval. IMO its just a complete mess.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  13. #145
    Member jrdunnit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    ky
    Posts
    168

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Was hoping they would get Lanier but Tenn wins out. Robinson is still in play but I'm beginning to have my doubts on him returning to college. Time will tell.

  14. #146
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,173

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Jaxson Robinson saga reminds me of Randolph Morris, the returnee whose return was caught in a fax.

    He's a solid player, but really, is he a game-changer? He's ranked 36th among transfers, according to On3 rating service. That's slightly below Adou Thiero's 31 ranking. Thiero will be (IMO) Arkansas' lowest ranked player and fifth offensive option.

    Sigh.

    Speaking of Arkansas, Calipari has Ivisic, Wagner, Thiero, Aidoo, and Johnell Davis as a starting five, with Billy Richmond, Karter Knox, and Boogie Fland behind them. That team could win 30-- and could have been what UK had. Even after transfers of Bradshaw and others. It has shooting (Ivisic, Davis), defense (Aidoo, Davis, Wagner, Thiero), toughness, and just about everything a team needs to be successful. That's the talent of a national championship roster.

    Double sigh.

    We'll have to see how it turns out, of course. Maybe Pope has figured out how disparate players with one or two specific skills can play together and win big. Maybe one or two of the guys who are largely considered lower level recruits and transfers will turn out.

    C Amari Williams (86)
    PG Lamont Butler (47)
    SF/SG Otega Oweh (33)
    PF Andrew Carr (69)
    C Brandon Garrison (22)
    SG Koby Brea (89)
    PG Kerr Kriisa (125)
    F Ansley Almonor (317)

    That'd be a solid to great roster at Butler or even Georgia. At Kentucky?

    Meh.

  15. #147
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mid Atlantic, USA
    Posts
    16,370

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    I guess we can call them the Arkansas Wildcats this season. They may win 30 games but I will say they will bow out of the NCAA's by the 2nd round. Cal will do something to screw them up just like he did at UK for the last 8 years or so.

    As for UK's team this coming season, I know none of them and what they can or cannot do. I doubt I will be watching them or any colleges sports much until they get their act together. By the time they do that I will probably be so disinterested I won't care.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  16. #148
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Papist
    Posts
    5,242

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Kentucky has had impressive rosters and generally lousy teams in recent years. I'm sure Arkansas fans are excited about their team on paper, but I wouldn't suggest they book their Final Four travel just yet.

  17. #149
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,597

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Jaxson Robinson saga reminds me of Randolph Morris, the returnee whose return was caught in a fax.

    He's a solid player, but really, is he a game-changer? He's ranked 36th among transfers, according to On3 rating service. That's slightly below Adou Thiero's 31 ranking. Thiero will be (IMO) Arkansas' lowest ranked player and fifth offensive option.

    Sigh.

    Speaking of Arkansas, Calipari has Ivisic, Wagner, Thiero, Aidoo, and Johnell Davis as a starting five, with Billy Richmond, Karter Knox, and Boogie Fland behind them. That team could win 30-- and could have been what UK had. Even after transfers of Bradshaw and others. It has shooting (Ivisic, Davis), defense (Aidoo, Davis, Wagner, Thiero), toughness, and just about everything a team needs to be successful. That's the talent of a national championship roster.

    Double sigh.

    We'll have to see how it turns out, of course. Maybe Pope has figured out how disparate players with one or two specific skills can play together and win big. Maybe one or two of the guys who are largely considered lower level recruits and transfers will turn out.

    C Amari Williams (86)
    PG Lamont Butler (47)
    SF/SG Otega Oweh (33)
    PF Andrew Carr (69)
    C Brandon Garrison (22)
    SG Koby Brea (89)
    PG Kerr Kriisa (125)
    F Ansley Almonor (317)

    That'd be a solid to great roster at Butler or even Georgia. At Kentucky?

    Meh.
    And they will run into a brick wall against a team like St Peters or Oakland in the first round (again).

    If Kentucky was going to move off Cal, this was the year to do it. The team you just listed is pretty underwhelming even by past Cal teams here. The biggest impact on last year's team was John Welch and he also didn't make the trip to Fayetteville choosing to coach with Vance Wahlberg instead.

    Remember Cal had three players who didn't follow him in Somoto Cyril, Jayden Quaintance and Travis Perry. Add those three and take away Johnell Davis and Jonas Aidoo and that would have likely been Kentuckys team next year. It was going to be more of the same of Cal trotting out freshmen and getting waxed in the tournament by 23-24 year olds.

    I know you are still hung up on Cal but there was no way he could have shown his face in Rupp as the teams head coach next season knowing that he had a team last season that was supposed to get UK back to the promised land with a UK legacy player who's rise to stardom was ultimately wasted.

    I don't know if Pope is the answer or not. I just hope if he isn't that Barnhart is not making the decision on his replacement. That said with where college sports are headed getting a head coach who is a former alum (Duke, UNC) may be important moving forward as Pope is at his dream job and isn't likely to move unless UK pushes him out. As we saw with Cal, once a coach leaves now you are basically starting from scratch.

    Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  18. #150
    Kentuckian At Heart WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Mid Ohio Valley
    Posts
    8,597

    Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I guess we can call them the Arkansas Wildcats this season. They may win 30 games but I will say they will bow out of the NCAA's by the 2nd round. Cal will do something to screw them up just like he did at UK for the last 8 years or so.

    As for UK's team this coming season, I know none of them and what they can or cannot do. I doubt I will be watching them or any colleges sports much until they get their act together. By the time they do that I will probably be so disinterested I won't care.
    I prefer Great Value Kentucky.

    Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator