Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    I mean what else do you expect Hurley to say at that moment? You have to at least offer him to force UCONN to pay him more. Plus the conference uneasiness with UCONN moving forward and I don't think it's dead yet.

Roy Williams said he didn't give a **** about UNC and then went there
    Hurley said he wasn't leaving Rhode Island and 5 days later was at UCONN.

Oats I'm assuming heard through the grapevine he wasn't on the list so just got out in front of it.
    I think if Purdue had won last night it would have been easier to lure Hurley away.

He's this generations Billy Donovan. Won back to back titles by catching lightning in a bottle. He has the potential to do more but time will tell.

It could happen I'm just not betting on it.

Scott Drew just seems too vanilla for me. He isn't going to generate buzz or excitement the way Cal (or 90s Pitino) did but the trade off is you don't have the baggage. He's Tubby Smith.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Scott Drew doesn't excite me but if that's the floor then UK is going to be just fine

Make them say no:
    Dan Hurley
    Jay Wright
    Billy Donovan

Would be my choice and the buyout is rumored to only be $10 mil:
    Nate Oats

Floor:
    Scott Drew
    Bruce Pearl

This is pretty much me, as well. Make Hurley, Donovan( or Wright) an offer they can't refuse. As much as I dislike the sleazy Pearl, I'd take him over the preacher's son in Waco.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    the preacher's son
    I'm not sure why you want to keep disrespecting the great Homer Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think if Purdue had won last night it would have been easier to lure Hurley away.

He's this generations Billy Donovan. Won back to back titles by catching lightning in a bottle. He has the potential to do more but time will tell.

It could happen I'm just not betting on it.

Scott Drew just seems too vanilla for me. He isn't going to generate buzz or excitement the way Cal (or 90s Pitino) did but the trade off is you don't have the baggage. He's Tubby Smith.

No Drew, please. Other than his one Naty, his results haven't been that great. Let him stick to teaching Sunday School in Waco. That's what he enjoys most.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm not sure why you want to keep disrespecting the great Homer Drew!
    Less than .550 career winning %, Almost 20% of his seasons were under .300 WP. Cal won 77% of his games at UK. UK can do better than a Drew. Homer's kid, outside of the Naty, has been pretty pedestrian.

We need a Donovan or Hurley.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

The problem is since Covid this has been Kentuckys tournament record this decade:

2024: First Round loss to 14 seed
    2023: Second Round exit
    2022: First round exit to 15 seed
    2021: Missed tournament completely
    2020: Covid

If Bill Self or Duke/Carolina had the past four years Kentucky has don't you think their coaches would be feeling heat? By this logic (not directed at you but ESPN and others) shouldn't UNC have kept Matt Doherty and accepted that they weren't going to win every year? Of course not.

The one and done model isn't working and hasn't, but Cal was prepared to run it back next year with more one and done. Even in 2022 when they lost to St Peters that team was built with the transfer portal (Oscar, Toppin, Mintz) and they still lost early in the tournament. At some point you start blaming the coach. It isn't working though because they are playing teams who are mixing one and dones, grad transfers, and two to three year players. Perfect example of this is UConn.

This past year was Cals year to break through again. They had a monster recruiting class on par with the 2012, 2010, and 2014/2015 classes and the emergence of a Kentucky legacy player who was probably one of the most beloved one year players on this team and he still couldn't get it done. Then they fell apart in the tournament again.

I'm not saying the marriage between Cal and UK should have continued. It did seem like they should have parted ways. What I'm saying is that one of the criticisms of Cal was that he recruited too many one and done players. Basically he was bringing in too many great HS players. Do you realize how insane that sounds? Even when they did get transfers in they weren't successful. Ultimately it is the coach's fault. But I also think UK fans have unreasonable expectations of their program. UK became UK when the rest of the SEC was concentrating on football. It was also in a segregated time. Back when Rupp was the coach when you went to the NCAA tournament, you and 7 other teams went. So you had to just win 3 games for a national championship not the gauntlet they go through now. Another thing you have to remember about Cal is that he could handle the pressure cooker. Could you imagine someone like Fran McCaffrey coaching UK? So the new coach has to be able to handle this pressure. But, also, UK fans should lower their expectations. I referenced Indiana previously. For sure UK is in a better situation than them and even Louisville. But they are an elite program in name only much like Indiana and Louisville. Can they get back to that status? I suppose any school with enough money can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Less than .550 career winning %, Almost 20% of his seasons were under .300 WP.
    You realize Dad Drew was coaching Valpo, right?

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-09-2024),RiverRat13 (04-09-2024)

Less than .550 career winning %, Almost 20% of his seasons were under .300 WP. Cal won 77% of his games at UK. UK can do better than a Drew. Homer's kid, outside of the Naty, has been pretty pedestrian.

We need a Donovan or Hurley.
    You do realize the mess that he cleaned up at Baylor, right? That's why his winning percentage (plus playing in the Big 12) is as low as it was early on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayl...etball_scandal

He's not my first choice but given the choices Mitch could do a lot worse.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Cal has yet to officially resign from Kentucky so that is affecting Kentucky actually looking at replacements.

Top three are Hurley, Drew, and Donovan and if they say no then moving onto other candidates per Matt Jones.

Of those three, I want Donovan the least. He hasn't coached with NIL and the transfer portal and at least with the other two they can hit the ground running on recruiting. Drew would possibly bring Edgecomb with him and Hurley could probably bring whoever he wants. Donovan doesn't have that coming from the NBA.

Scott Drew doesn't excite me but if that's the floor then UK is going to be just fine

Make them say no:
    Dan Hurley
    Jay Wright
    Billy Donovan

Would be my choice and the buyout is rumored to only be $10 mil:
    Nate Oats

Floor:
    Scott Drew
    Bruce Pearl
    I hear Huggins is still interested in coaching again.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

13. Likes:

Chip R (04-09-2024)

Cal has yet to officially resign from Kentucky so that is affecting Kentucky actually looking at replacements.
    That's fairly petty.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Calipari just put a video on X that is essentially a resignation. Still weird.

Cal actually went back to Kentucky for them to match Arkansas in terms of NIL investment and Mitch told him no.

Video is out by Cal saying goodbye and Mitch put out a statement, time to move on.

Dan Hurley is 1000% not coming to Kentucky, folks.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-10-2024),Sea Ray (04-09-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Dan Hurley is 1000% not coming to Kentucky, folks.
    Didn't say he was. Would love to see it but as Ive said before, Hurley is this generations Billy Donovan from 15-17 years ago. He's the golden goose.

I don't see Donovan coming either and he's the last one I want of the three mentioned. He's too far removed from college to where NIL and the transfer portal didn't exist when he was here.

I'm actually fine with Scott Drew. If he rejects it then it'll be a B list coach who I don't think the fans will accept.

Turn Off Ads?