Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Legend - Caretaker - Drunk is the UK model. Drew fits

Rupp - Hall - Sutton
    Pitino - Tubby - Gillespie
    Cal - Drew? - ????
    This is kinda why I want Drew:

1. We need a break from drama. Drew would be a change of pace from that. So yeah, I'm fine with a care taker.

2. Outside of Dan Hurley, there is no legend status coach available, which leads to...

3. If a legend status coach becomes available in the next three years and Drew underachieves, get the wheels moving to move on. (I know it's a five year contract but with a reasonable buyout Kentucky could move on)

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-10-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

^ Yep. I just want to enjoy UK basketball again.

Watched Cals introductory pep rally and press conference at Arkansas. It was awkward to say the least.

He ducked out to meet the other coaches when the fans were doing the Woo Pig Sooey chant.

Was pretty gracious about his time at Kentucky but the comment about Coaches Win Games and Administrations Win Championships was a direct dig at Barnhart.

Given the Athletic story today it's pretty obvious there was a love loss between the two.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Watched Cals introductory pep rally and press conference at Arkansas. It was awkward to say the least.

He ducked out to meet the other coaches when the fans were doing the Woo Pig Sooey chant.

Was pretty gracious about his time at Kentucky but the comment about Coaches Win Games and Administrations Win Championships was a direct dig at Barnhart.

Given the Athletic story today it's pretty obvious there was a love loss between the two.

Kinda had a Knight to Texas Tech feel

7. Likes:

Chip R (04-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Kinda had a Knight to Texas Tech feel
    That's a very good analogy.

I thought him leaving would be a boost for Arkansas and short term it might be but after last night I'm wondering if he makes it through the contract. Either he retires or Arkansas buys him out when they realize it's not working.

I just don't feel like his heart is in it. He overplayed his hand in Lexington but ultimately wouldn't make changes. He's a massive control freak and when Mitch supposedly told him that he wasn't going to be on his own island anymore I think that led to where we are now. Arkansas will be good this year because they are taking all the Kentucky players with them but after they leave? It will be interesting. Cal hasn't recruited at the same level except for this past years class.

Another dig I noticed was bringing up how he loved the governor. A story that has been leaked out is that the Craft family wanted to use Oscar Tshiebwe for NIL purposes to help with Kelly Crafts run for governor and Calipari stepped in and said no. That ruined that relationship. Plus the "basketball school" comment in the Bahamas.

All signs point to Scott Drew. If it's not it'll be because of the stupidity of our fans tracking planes, stalking Mexican restaurants in Waco, getting into Twitter fights with Chip Gaines scaring off his family. Cal always said "You people are crazy" and egged it on. This time it's not a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Sean Miller will be UK next coach.
    I'll take the under.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'll take the under.
    Yeah, that's not happening.

Drew just turned it down.

Oh man, Drew better stay off social media for...the rest of his life. The weird hate and anger he's about to experience is real.

Oh man, Drew better stay off social media for...the rest of his life. The weird hate and anger he's about to experience is real.
    So, that would have been different if he took the job and didn't do any better than Cal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So, that would have been different if he took the job and didn't do any better than Cal?
    It would have been different, yes. Not great, either, but different.

Just go ahead and bring back Pitino at this point!

It would have been different, yes. Not great, either, but different.

Just go ahead and bring back Pitino at this point!
    Pitino isn't happening. Not directed at you but I'm amazed at how many UK friends of mine still live in the 90s.

I don't think he's going to have any social media following other than people just unfollowing him. He didn't want to uproot his family which is understandable. Watching UK fans act like lunatics probably didn't help either.

Not to mention the fanbase was pretty divided on him being the presumed pick. As I said earlier there are still some who want Pitino and of course Donovan out of nostalgia but Drew was viewed as a pretty boring hire.

Today is going to be Make Danny Hurley Say No Day. He is going to say no, but it won't be for lack of trying by Kentucky.

Kentucky is moving to B list candidates past Donovan. Next Wednesday or Friday the Bulls season could be over but Kentucky will probably be getting feelers for other candidates:

Sean Miller
    Chris Beard
    Shaka Smart
    Brad Underwood
    Frank Vogel

There's also another NBA coach being mentioned but don't have the name.

Last edited by WVRed; 04-11-2024 at 12:39 PM.

A name that no one has brought up who would be an interesting choice is T.J. Otzelberger at Iowa State. I think ISU plays the kind of style UK fans would love and they play great defense. His buyout is $17.5M. Would that be too expensive for UK? If they did hire him, his assistant Kyle Green (Milwaukee Bucks A.J. Green's father) may not follow him and he has really made their defense great. If he doesn't follow Otz, the defense may not be as good as it can be. Green was the associate head coach at Northern Iowa before he want to ISU and I know the defense at UNI has not been as good as it was when he was there.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    A name that no one has brought up who would be an interesting choice is T.J. Otzelberger at Iowa State. I think ISU plays the kind of style UK fans would love and they play great defense. His buyout is $17.5M. Would that be too expensive for UK? If they did hire him, his assistant Kyle Green (Milwaukee Bucks A.J. Green's father) may not follow him and he has really made their defense great. If he doesn't follow Otz, the defense may not be as good as it can be. Green was the associate head coach at Northern Iowa before he want to ISU and I know the defense at UNI has not been as good as it was when he was there.
    They wouldn't pay it for Nate Oats but there are other rumors coming out why Oats isn't in play. Not going to post but anyone on social media can look it up.

Id say just unfamiliarity with Otzelberger, the buyout, and being at Iowa State the majority of his coaching career he seems to like it there. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Pitino isn't happening. Not directed at you but I'm amazed at how many UK friends of mine still live in the 90s.
    I'm kidding about Pitino, of course. It would just be hilarious.

Turn Off Ads?