Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Re: UK Basketball 2024-2025: Can It Get Any Worse?

Is style of play a complete non-starter when it comes to Tony Bennett or is there something else?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    They wouldn't pay it for Nate Oats but there are other rumors coming out why Oats isn't in play. Not going to post but anyone on social media can look it up.

Id say just unfamiliarity with Otzelberger, the buyout, and being at Iowa State the majority of his coaching career he seems to like it there. Just my opinion.
    From what I've heard he does like it there. But coaches don't go to another job only when they are unhappy. Sometimes you'll get a guy who is happy where he's at and will never leave voluntarily like Izzo and Dean Smith. Other guys like Cal and Pitino want to climb that ladder. ISU is a relatively low pressure job. Iowa has always been the big dog in the state and gets most of the attention but when ISU does well, they get just as much attention. He's not really a "name" but the "names" don't want to coach there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I am not so sure that UK is the job it was when Cal took it over a decade ago. The seismic shifts if the game have changed the landscape of college basketball. Where UK had a massive advantage when Cal was originally hired, that just isn't so true anymore. While I don't doubt that basketball means more to UK than pretty much any other school in the game, they no longer have the advantage they once had. And if their NIL is behind, which I don't know, they are at a detriment compared to other schools.

15 years ago Baylor was a job where you would leave for bigger job when it became available. Now its easier to win there, the schools are more inclined to pay more money to keep the coaches, and there is a level of comfort that a guy like Drew can have coaching at Baylor. Not to mention the frying pan he would jump into at UK. With the new TV contracts, especially for the SEC and B1G, schools can afford to pay their coaches more and keep them for longer.

5. Likes:

Chip R (04-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am not so sure that UK is the job it was when Cal took it over a decade ago. The seismic shifts if the game have changed the landscape of college basketball. Where UK had a massive advantage when Cal was originally hired, that just isn't so true anymore. While I don't doubt that basketball means more to UK than pretty much any other school in the game, they no longer have the advantage they once had. And if their NIL is behind, which I don't know, they are at a detriment compared to other schools.

15 years ago Baylor was a job where you would leave for bigger job when it became available. Now its easier to win there, the schools are more inclined to pay more money to keep the coaches, and there is a level of comfort that a guy like Drew can have coaching at Baylor. Not to mention the frying pan he would jump into at UK. With the new TV contracts, especially for the SEC and B1G, schools can afford to pay their coaches more and keep them for longer.
    From what I've read money is fine. It just wasn't for Cal. He burned a lot of bridges and there are a lot of stories coming out that nobody is denying.

For Joe Craft, whos name is on the UK practice facility building, to pull NIL funding for Cal because of these issues is why Cal is in Arkansas now.

Kentucky just offered Dan Hurley 8 yrs and between 90-100 million. UConn was never going to match that financially and he turned it down. So yeah, to your point you are right.

The problems with Kentucky right now are two fold with a split fanbase:

1. Those who favored Cal and want a home run hire. It's kinda like when Dan Lanning and Sark turned down Bama. Those fans are in panic mode.

2. You have the older fans who have been through the Tubby and Pitino years who remember life before Cal. Those fans know that Kentucky is going to be fine.

The problem is past the Big Three (and Im not crazy about Donovan) there is not a coach in the next tier that doesn't have problems. Honestly only Dan Hurley would have been a home run hire and that was never happening.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Mark Pope has entered the chat.

If this happens, Barnhart might become the most hated man in Lexington.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    From what I've heard he does like it there. But coaches don't go to another job only when they are unhappy. Sometimes you'll get a guy who is happy where he's at and will never leave voluntarily like Izzo and Dean Smith. Other guys like Cal and Pitino want to climb that ladder. ISU is a relatively low pressure job. Iowa has always been the big dog in the state and gets most of the attention but when ISU does well, they get just as much attention. He's not really a "name" but the "names" don't want to coach there.
    Didn't Iowa St. lure Johnny Orr away from Michigan once upon a time?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Mark Pope. That’s…..a choice.

Actually, you know what? I’m in. Good guy.
    Last edited by WildcatFan; 04-11-2024 at 10:22 PM.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Mark Pope. That’s…..a choice.

Actually, you know what? I’m in. Good guy.
    Right now, who actually else is out there? I am good with it. Played at UK, and IIRC graduated, did time in the NBA, so knows what it takes. He could actually get Sheppard to stick around, given his ties to Jeff. Then who knows? Some others may follow Reed?

Pope is interesting. Kinda perfect for the guy after Cal. Kinda like Ollie at UCONN after Calhoun (I know that blew up eventually) but then they hired a big time coach after that. Pope can keep the boat afloat, coach for a few years and if it comes tumbling down make a big time hire. It’s not like Kentucky is going to suddenly become St John’s or Georgetown.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Right now, who actually else is out there? I am good with it. Played at UK, and IIRC graduated, did time in the NBA, so knows what it takes. He could actually get Sheppard to stick around, given his ties to Jeff. Then who knows? Some others may follow Reed?
    Yeah, Mark averaged a sterling 1.9 ppg in the pros. As coach, he has been mighty impressive , as well. Double digit losses in 7 of his 9 seasons. First round loss to Duquesne this season. Finished 5th to Santa Clara two seasons ago. Averaged 12 losses a season over career. Believes in wearing sacred magic underwear. Never takes it off except to bathe. Believes that God lives near a planet called Kolob. Is about be paid a salary that eclipses the salaries of each of these coaches:

Dan Hurley
    - Nate Oats
    - Scott Drew
    - Tom Izzo
    - Matt Painter
    - Mark Few
    - Hubert Davis
    - Tommy Lloyd

SIGN ME UP!!!! Oh yeah, 0 NCAA tiurnament wins !!!! Mitch is the boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ďItís the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.Ē
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post

SIGN ME UP!!!! Oh yeah, 0 NCAA tiurnament wins !!!! Mitch is the boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't forget 4 CBI wins.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Pope is interesting. Kinda perfect for the guy after Cal. Kinda like Ollie at UCONN after Calhoun (I know that blew up eventually) but then they hired a big time coach after that. Pope can keep the boat afloat, coach for a few years and if it comes tumbling down make a big time hire. Itís not like Kentucky is going to suddenly become St Johnís or Georgetown.
    I'm thinking more along the lines of Matt Doherty after Dean Smith/Bill Guthridge.

Pope may be a great guy and he did play on the teams from the 90s. I think Barnhart thought he had Drew in the bag and when that fell through he panicked.

My mom went to BYU and I grew up a Mormon until about 16. So BYU has always been my #2 college team to follow in both football and basketball (behind Ohio State).

Mark Pope is a good coach. Knows how to build a program and run his system. His team outperformed expectations in their first season in a tough Big 12 after coming over from the WCC. These arenít the big time recruits heíll now have access to at Kentucky, either.

They never did much in the tournament, I know. But he will be good. My brother and I have known for a few seasons now that if/when the Kentucky job opened up, we might lose him. A tough pill to swallow, but we accepted it is a near certainty. Now itís happened, and I wish him luck.

Give him a chance. I really think he will do well.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
    My mom went to BYU and I grew up a Mormon until about 16. So BYU has always been my #2 college team to follow in both football and basketball (behind Ohio State).

Mark Pope is a good coach. Knows how to build a program and run his system. His team outperformed expectations in their first season in a tough Big 12 after coming over from the WCC. These arenít the big time recruits heíll now have access to at Kentucky, either.

They never did much in the tournament, I know. But he will be good. My brother and I have known for a few seasons now that if/when the Kentucky job opened up, we might lose him. A tough pill to swallow, but we accepted it is a near certainty. Now itís happened, and I wish him luck.

Give him a chance. I really think he will do well.
    I'm warming up slowly to it but I have some reservations.

I think they should have brought Pitino in for two years and Pope in as associate head coach. I don't know if both would have agreed to it but Pitino could have handled the boosters, used his connections to bring players in, and likely set up Pope in two years for better success.

Mitch went rogue from all accounts. If the boosters aren't happy the NIL money moving forward could be an issue.

That said I don't know if Kentucky could have done much better.

Biggest key is Reed Sheppard returning. Pope and Jeff were roommates at UK so this will be something to watch in the coming days.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Mark Pope is extremely smart, passionate, and loves the program. It's yet to be seen how he can recruit, but I don't even know what recruiting means anymore in 2024. He's gonna get a war chest of NIL money to play with; let's see how that goes.

Honestly, I like the Pitino idea if he came in as a GM-like figure, which is probably the next step for college basketball. It's a lot on a coach to handle in this era between NIL, the portal, traditional recruiting, and Xs and Os (as we saw with Cal).
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?