Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Collier swing is very good

Cam Collier swing is very good

I just turned on to watch the Dayton Dragons game as the Reds are off today, and Cam Collier was batting ag a lefty starter. He blasted the pitch way over the fence in RF.. He has a very quick bat and his swing looks real good..

2. Likes:

ochoa30 (04-18-2024),Redhook (04-18-2024),RiverRat13 (04-21-2024),Sea Ray (04-23-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cam Collier swing is very good

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/stat...18652869235197

I don't like throwing the S word around too often but man oh man that's special. A 19 year old kid blasting balls like that in A+. All the "experts" who gave up on him are about to be looking pretty dumb.

5. Likes:

ochoa30 (04-18-2024),Puffy (04-19-2024),Redhook (04-18-2024),Redsfan6272 (04-19-2024)

Love the swing!

His lower body, right now, might be the biggest and strongest in baseball. I don't know if that will have much to do with his future success, but he can certainly win a lot of squat contests. So, he has that going for him.....which is nice.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I’ve busted his chops on here saying that the time is here to show us something.

Well played.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 04-19-2024 at 12:23 PM.

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-18-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/stat...18652869235197

I don't like throwing the S word around too often but man oh man that's special. A 19 year old kid blasting balls like that in A+. All the "experts" who gave up on him are about to be looking pretty dumb.
    Yes, Collierís hot start is a reminder not to take all ďexpertĒ top prospect lists too seriously. Prospect development isnít always linear. The best expert lists arenít overly swayed by one seasonís results. A very good prospect can have bumps along the way, but remain a very good prospect.

10. Likes:

JCM11 (04-19-2024)

I wonder how seriously they are taking his play at 3B. I see that he's already DH'd 5 times thus far.

Still, good to see so much power early in the season. He could be primed for a breakout. And if he hits like this I'm fine with him becoming at 1B/DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yes, Collier’s hot start is a reminder not to take all “expert” top prospect lists too seriously. Prospect development isn’t always linear. The best expert lists aren’t overly swayed by one season’s results. A very good prospect can have bumps along the way, but remain a very good prospect.
    To be fair, IIRC wasn't Fangraphs the main list that had him low? Seems like most of the others kept him pretty high still. Fangraphs is notoriously bad with the Reds system specifically.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

camisadelgolf (04-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I wonder how seriously they are taking his play at 3B. I see that he's already DH'd 5 times thus far.

Still, good to see so much power early in the season. He could be primed for a breakout. And if he hits like this I'm fine with him becoming at 1B/DH.
    Looking ahead with speculation, one might look forward to a regular first base/DH combo of CES and Collier. If both guys work out, that could be a fine power duo for middle of lineup. Too soon, I know, but Reds would be such a threat at home with a couple of long ball men in the middle of the order. Add in EDLC - one can dream, right?

Last season Collier’s OBP was fine, but his power numbers were sub par. I know that the FSL can be a difficult league for power hitters.

But - Collier had some trends that weren’t helpful to power production. His GB rate was 53% which is not helpful to a power guy. His GB/FB rate is much better this season, improved from 2.22 to 1.21. And his infield fly ball rate was also quite high, 31%, a little better this year so far at 28.6%, still too high, MLB average is 11%.

Either he’s adjusted his swing, or maybe it’s just a comfort level and maturation, but the direction is good.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-19-2024 at 09:40 AM.

16. Likes:

Mitri (04-19-2024)

He was 18 last year. At low A. His cohorts were still in HS. His year was pretty damn fine given that context. The negative reaction to his year from the prospect sharps has been weird. It's not just Fangraphs.

He's literally one year younger than Jackson Holliday. He was drafted and made his pro debut as a 17-year-old in 2022. 17. Holliday went 1st overall in the 2022 draft and Collier 18th overall (good work by the Reds to entice him to that spot as I recall with bonus pool movement - Keith Law had Collier in his top 5 I believe pre-draft big board).

Holliday had benefit of NOT hitting in low A in the Florida league, as Baltimore's low A team is in the Carolina league. I still kinda hate that we have our low A team in the Florida league because it is SUCH a power suck of a league, but even with that Collier with a .346 OBP as an 18-year-old in that league was actually pretty encouraging. What was more encouraging to me was that the Reds didn't make him repeat that level to start this year but moved him to high A even with the power not having shown up in 2023. I have been guessing that the development the team must have been seeing in the off-season and spring was real, for them to do that - and, again, he's so young and by all reports a really diligent worker and student of the game that I was hoping to see a step up from him - and, man, this early start is way better than a step up. In any event, he carried some really special tools into the draft process as a literal child, and it is easy to dream on this a bit.

ETA - just went back and looked - Law had Collier as his #2 overall prospect on his pre-draft big board in 2022 - and wrote this about him then -

2. Cam Collier, 3B, Chipola College

Collier is one of the youngest players in this draft class, as he won’t turn 18 until November, but he pulled a Bryce Harper by leaving high school after his sophomore year to attend Chipola College, one of the best junior college baseball programs in the country. It is paying off, as he’s hitting for average and getting on base this spring with solid power production despite being the youngest player on the Chipola roster and younger than every pitcher he’s faced. Collier, whose father Lou played in the majors for several years as an extra outfielder, is 6-foot-2 and may still grow a little with a ton of room to fill out. He’s a third baseman now and good enough to stay there with a 70 arm and the agility to handle the position as the game speeds up. At the plate, he’s more than held his own against much better pitching than what he saw in high school; he’s had some expected issues with breaking stuff but also shown he can adjust to some of those pitches and stay back to take them the other way. He needs to add some more strength to better control the barrel as well as make harder contact, as his hands work well enough at the plate for him to be a plus hitter with average power. He’s committed to Louisville but should be a top-five pick in the draft.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-19-2024 at 10:28 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

This was a note from Charlie Goldsmith BEFORE the two homerun game last night...

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    Cam Collier is hitting .310 with more power than he had in 2023. “There was a lot of hard work in the offseason. I’ve gone out there, trusted my work and tried to be myself.”

“I felt the power coming. Hopefully I can get some more.”

He worked in the offseason with big leaguers Michael Harris and Lawrence Butler. “They helped me make a plan, knowing what I need to do to be successful.”
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

19. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (04-19-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm dreaming on a 2026 opening day lineup that includes Elly (CF), CES (DH), Collier (1b), and Condon (RF).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

21. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-19-2024),Sea Ray (04-23-2024)

I have to say, like some of those who expressed skepticism about Collier's 2023, I felt that his putting on significant weight in his lower half was a warning sign. As it turns out, while he looks similar to how he looked last year, he's been quoted as saying he recognized he needed to work on his physical conditioning and he's come into 2024 in better shape. And we see the results. IMO, he's going to have to continue to work hard on his body to keep bad weight off. I doubt he's going to wind up as a plus athlete with good movement skills. But the bat... Reds really could have something there. He's always had a great feel for the barrel and for using the whole field. Very promising that he appears to have unlocked in-game power so quickly in his journey.

23. Likes:

Rick Palmer (04-19-2024)

It's not the weight as it is/ was the swing.

He hit so many balls on the ground. He's still hitting a bunch of balls on the ground, fwiw.

25. Likes:

camisadelgolf (04-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post

I watched last nights Dragons game and he looked smooth on 3 groundballs at him. Even the broadcast guy was impressed at how much baseball instincts he has at such a young age. He reminds me a little of the Red Sox 3rd baseman Devers

27. Likes:

goreds2 (04-21-2024),lollipopcurve (04-19-2024),malcontent (04-20-2024),Mitri (04-19-2024)

Turn Off Ads?