Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toughest 38 Game Stretch Of 2024

Re: Toughest 38 Game Stretch Of 2024

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    17-17 would be huge in the next 34. But we all know how baseball is. The Reds could win 20 or more. Then lose 8 of the next 10 to teams under .500.
    I would be happy with 34-0, but I would take 17-17. If they can get through this stretch around the .500 mark, they will be getting Friedl back, then Marte shortly thereafter and their schedule become much, much, much easier. And by then, likely the bad teams may be even a little worse if they sell off whatever tangible assets they have before the trade deadline.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

2. Likes:

BoxingRed (04-26-2024),LiferJim (04-26-2024),NebraskaRed (04-26-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Toughest 38 Game Stretch Of 2024

I’d also be happy with a .500 record during this stretch. Anything better than that would be like adding icing to the cake. I will say this, if the bats don’t wake up soon, winning half the games doesn’t seem possible. Let’s just hope the hitting improves asap. Guys like Stephenson and Steer have been hitting into a lot of tough luck, so that will even out. The three I’m most concerned about are Candy, Benson, and India. At least when Wil makes contact, he hits the ball hard, but his strikeouts are piling up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LiferJim; 04-26-2024 at 02:29 PM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-26-2024)

I hadn't realized how many trips out west they do in such a short period of time.

I'd think we all would be fine with playing .500 ball during this stretch.

I was interested in seeing just how many games everyone thought the Reds would win outta these 38 games.

8. Likes:

LiferJim (04-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

I was interested in seeing just how many games everyone thought the Reds would win outta these 38 games.
    I’m going to say 19-19 and hope for better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I hadn't realized how many trips out west they do in such a short period of time.
    From Dusty Baker in 2016 when he managed the Nationals:

Dusty Baker on West Coast road trips
    “The West Coast has always been tough on teams. … Lot of distractions out there. I’ll talk to the guys today, because I’ve seen the West Coast destroy teams. Everybody has friends, relatives, couple fleas and some parasites on the West Coast. It’s true. Everybody, families like to go to the West Coast … I’ve seen guys rent boats. I’ve seen guys sunburned. I’ve seen guys go to Universal Studios and can’t get a ride back, can’t play because they’ve got blisters on their feet.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ts-first-half/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

12. Likes:

dreghorntwo (04-26-2024),lollipopcurve (04-30-2024),NebraskaRed (04-26-2024),REDREAD (04-27-2024),westofyou (04-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post

God, I love Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post

It's a feature, not a bug

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Since you're playing every team now, that sort of thing's going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

17 Wins, 21 Losses.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-26-2024)

20-18 and pleased with it!

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-26-2024)

Reds weather early storms despite tough losses in Texas as they eye IL returns
    Here the beat-to-hell Reds are with a winning record as they closed out the first month of the season, a season-series win against the formidable Philadelphia Phillies in hand and fresh off a series against the Texas Rangers in which the Reds outpitched the defending champs and came within perhaps two plays of sweeping them.

After miserable starts the last two seasons, the Reds take their sea-worthy start this year into the deep waters of their schedule in May.
    Their hope is that as their schedule gets tougher, their roster might actually get better.

TJ Friedl starts an injury rehab assignment with Triple-A Louisville on Thursday. Opening Day starter Frankie Montas started throwing again over the weekend and expects to ramp up this week in San Diego for a possible return from the injured list around his eligible date of May 7.

The Reds were down five lineup regulars at one point during the Mariners’ sweep of them in Seattle two weeks ago. “We obviously have a tough stretch here. The month of May is tough,” general manager Brad Meador said, “But we have weathered it. It’s a testament to the group overall, the fight in this group and how they stick together.

Wins-and-losses-wise we probably left a couple out there,” said catcher Luke Maile, . “But we’ve obviously played pretty solid baseball the majority of the time.

Just to be able to keep it together, keep us right there, we’re going to win a lot of those games,” Bell said. “We continue to play like that, really good things are going to happen.”

Especially if the roster gets incrementally better with the sick guys feeling stronger over the next few days
    Read entire article here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ns/ar-AA1nORht
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-29-2024 at 09:33 AM.

21. Likes:

dreghorntwo (04-29-2024),goreds2 (04-29-2024)

The Reds are 3-4 for the first 7 games of this stretch. That would project to 16-22. With Fraley, India and in a week or two Friedl all back, they may do better by a game or two. I'm sticking with my 17-21 prediction, and I'd be ecstatic with that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

CaiGuy (04-30-2024),Ron Madden (04-29-2024)

THE REDS’ PITCHERS ARE COMING AROUND. WILL THE HITTERS BE NEXT?
    Welcome contributions from Jonathan India and Tyler Stephenson have Cincinnati’s offense on the brink of a breakout.
    If you remember—and I know you will, Devoted Reader—I mentioned last week that the Redlegs were about to embark on a crucial 38-game stretch that includes nine games against last year’s World Series teams (Arizona and Texas) plus 11 games against the Dodgers and Phillies.

We’re now one week into that portion of the schedule, with Cincinnati splitting a four-game series against the 2022 National League pennant winner Philadelphia and losing two of three in Texas against the defending champion Rangers. Time to take stock of where we are.

Let’s start here: Losing four of seven games in a week is not ideal. If the Reds repeat that week after week, we’re in for a bad time.

On the other hand, Cincinnati went toe to toe with two of the better teams in the majors and emerged with a boatload of reasons to be optimistic about the rest of 2024.

As we stand, the Redlegs are two games above .500, on pace for an 87-win season that would almost assuredly be enough for a playoff berth.

134 games remain, so it’s far too soon to make any grand declarations about where this team will go over the next five months.

Cincinnati mostly looked the part against a couple of the better teams in baseball in recent days—I continue to maintain that Reds fans should be optimistic.
    Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/a...tters-be-next/

I like Reds chances in this stretch assuming they get a bit more offense back in the lineup.

Like Fraley and Stephenson back to good health.

Fraley is already back but I’m not sure he’s truly ready just yet.

Run prevention side doing pretty well, better than expected.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-30-2024 at 12:44 PM.

Turn Off Ads?