Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Mike Ford as potential season savior thread.

Re: The Mike Ford as potential season savior thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t think Martini would be that much better, but he would at least look better making all those outs. Ford has one of the ugliest swings I’ve ever seen. I wonder how he ever gets a hit with that swing.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/550...dule-division/

OF Nick Martini has hits in six of the eight games he’s appeared in since being optioned to Louisville earlier this month. Overall with the Bats, Martini is 8-for-22 (.364) with nine walks and three home runs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

In the off season I saw Krall adding guys to AAA that I considered fringe MLB types. I thought that if/when injuries popped up we'd be able to reach down and call up guys who would give us a much better week or two of performance than some overmatched career minor leaguer.

What did I miss?

How are guys like Ford, Martini and Thompson (and others) so completely worthless as ball players?

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-22-2024),Tom Servo (05-21-2024)

Might as well call up Martini. The bar is low.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (05-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Early on I thought he had some bad luck hitting it hard right at guys. But the O-for's keep piling up. I'd say cut him but no one is hitting and there is nowhere to turn.
    cut him anyway. Even if all you add is more speed and defense, it improves the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I think Ford will have a little more value at GABP, but not enough to compel me to want to keep him around any longer than needed. I do think he offers at least as much value as Martini, but I’m not passionate enough about it to argue.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I think Ford will have a little more value at GABP, but not enough to compel me to want to keep him around any longer than needed. I do think he offers at least as much value as Martini, but I’m not passionate enough about it to argue.
    I don't want either one of those guys. Bring up Blake Dunn for now, but look high and low for a guy with a track record against LHP. Dunn's a RH bat, he plays defense and runs. I'd cut Ford and bring up Dunn immediately. Capel would move into Ford's role (but not hitting 3rd) and Dunn would allow Benson to sit against LHP. One less DH on the roster is a good thing since none of them can hit anyway.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

REDREAD (05-22-2024)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't want either one of those guys. Bring up Blake Dunn for now, but look high and low for a guy with a track record against LHP. Dunn's a RH bat, he plays defense and runs. I'd cut Ford and bring up Dunn immediately. Capel would move into Ford's role (but not hitting 3rd) and Dunn would allow Benson to sit against LHP. One less DH on the roster is a good thing since none of them can hit anyway.
    Dunn’s numbers are terrible. What am I missing with him?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Dunn’s numbers are terrible. What am I missing with him?
    Nothing. But if they have to have a guy who sucks, I'd rather have one who can run and play defense. Ford is just taking up space.

Dunn was really good last year and crushed lefty pitching to the tune of a 1.250 OPS in the minor leagues. I think it worth a try. What's the worst that can happen, he puts up a string of ofers? If he does, that's a lateral move.

13. Likes:

Marc D (05-20-2024),Revering4Blue (05-22-2024)

Nothing. But if they have to have a guy who sucks, I'd rather have one who can run and play defense. Ford is just taking up space.

Dunn was really good last year and crushed lefty pitching to the tune of a 1.250 OPS in the minor leagues. I think it worth a try. What's the worst that can happen, he puts up a string of ofers? If he does, that's a lateral move.
    I wish we still had Siani for depth. He has hit better in St Louis since he has taken over the starting CF job. He is an excellent CF. (.277/.323/.338) He is 4th in MLB in OAA at +7 for all positions.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (05-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I wish we still had Siani for depth. He has hit better in St Louis since he has taken over the starting CF job. He is an excellent CF. (.277/.323/.338) He is 4th in MLB in OAA at +7 for all positions.
    I got laughed at last year on this board for comparing Siani's ceiling to Kevin Keirmeier. I didn't then and still am not saying he'll reach that ceiling, but he is looking good enough for the Cardinals to regret losing him for zero.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (05-22-2024)

Blake Dunn has looked pretty bad in AAA so far this season. Probably wouldn't suck any worse than the fodder that is being run out there presently, but I think he needs more seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    Blake Dunn has looked pretty bad in AAA so far this season. Probably wouldn't suck any worse than the fodder that is being run out there presently, but I think he needs more seasoning.
    He's almost 26 and they need him now. I don't think seasoning is going to do much at his age. I'd roll the dice. Can't be worse than Ford based on speed and defense alone.

The problem with Mike Ford is that because of the rash of injuries, this team had to turn to him to fill a spot on the roster. I believe much of the "savior" talk was joking in nature and most people believed he would perform like he has. It's not Ford's fault, that's just how he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

21. Likes:

malcontent (05-22-2024),Marc D (05-21-2024),REDREAD (05-22-2024),stlwahoo (05-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The problem with Mike Ford is that because of the rash of injuries, this team had to turn to him to fill a spot on the roster. I believe much of the "savior" talk was joking in nature and most people believed he would perform like he has. It's not Ford's fault, that's just how he is.
    May not be his fault, but the Reds can and should do better.

23. Likes:

Chip R (05-22-2024),REDREAD (05-22-2024)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah, it was just a bit of fun. I do regret the title. It sounds like a FRIENDS episode.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

25. Likes:

Chip R (05-22-2024)

Turn Off Ads?