Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Benson

Will Benson

Loved the story last year. Love all the fire he brings to the team.

With that said, he is striking out 42% of the time he goes up the bat. He is batting under .200. He canít put the ball in play when he needs to. I think itís time for Will to be a Louisville Bat for awhile.

A serious franchise would call up the worst teams in the majors and try to trade for a decent OF bat. Hell, bring up Dunn.

Any way you slice it, though, Benson needs to be demoted.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-09-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Benson

They tried to turn a platoon player into an everyday player. Just let him hit vs RHP for a few weeks and see how it goes. If he's struggling in that role after a few weeks then you make a move. I'm in favor of Dunn replacing Capel now. Dunn has killed LHP in his minor league career.

5. Likes:

mth123 (05-08-2024)

Benson is seeing LHP more than 2x the rate that he saw them last year, and he flat cannot hit LHP. That's part of the problem. Not that he's been blazing through RHP, but relative to others he's been tolerable against RHP.

We watched the end of the game tonight, and I told my wife that Mantiply would probably eat Benson's dinner. A poor checked swing later, and that's what happened. It was a wasted PA, not that the Reds had much choice though.

The Reds have wasted far too many PAs this season already to players who should rarely see the batter's box (see: Fairchild and Espinal, among others). The injuries have hurt. And LHP will continue to eat this lineup's dinner for the foreseeable future.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-08-2024),757690 (05-09-2024),CySeymour (05-09-2024),mth123 (05-09-2024),REDREAD (05-09-2024),Revering4Blue (05-09-2024),WVRedsFan (06-22-2024)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Bell absolutely needed to go with Capel there.

I don't know how to find his career MiLB numbers vs. LHP (if anyone does please let me know), but they have to be better than Benson's (MiLB + MLB).

In only 15 MLB PA vs. LHP, Capel is .385 .467 .539 1.005.

Capel looks to be more of a contact guy judging from the highlights I've seen of him.

Just atrocious call from Bell, but I expect as much.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-08-2024 at 10:13 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

9. Likes:

RedForLife (05-08-2024),Redsfan6272 (05-09-2024)

Will Benson

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Bell absolutely needed to go with Capel there. I don't know how to find his MiLB numbers vs. LHP (if anyone does please let me know), but they have to be better than Benson's (MiLB + MLB).

Capel looks to be more of a contact guy judging from the highlights I've seen of him.
    Thatís squarely on Bell. In 15 PA against lefties Capel is hitting.385 with a measly two strikeouts.

Oops, just saw you found it. Atrocious decision for sure

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ear=Career&t=b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

11. Likes:

malcontent (05-08-2024),RedForLife (05-08-2024)

Benson has only eight singles, in 128 PAs, he has more doubles (9) and BB (14) than singles

That's just weird

He needs to shorten his stroke and never see a lefty.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Bell absolutely needed to go with Capel there.

I don't know how to find his career MiLB numbers vs. LHP (if anyone does please let me know), but they have to be better than Benson's (MiLB + MLB).

In only 15 MLB PA vs. LHP, Capel is .385 .467 .539 1.005.

Just atrocious call from Bell, but I expect as much.
    Last year in the minors Capel had an ops vs LHP under 600, I’ll see if I can find his career minor league splits

If the question on Benson is hitting lefties, the answer isn’t Capel. Capel couldn’t make the A’s, he’s a LHH.

Dunn’s slow start at AAA makes him a question mark as is Hinds at Louisville.

Go out and get a RH outfielder to play in the platoon against lefties. Reds current roster is weak from the RHH side.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-09-2024 at 06:57 AM.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-09-2024),757690 (05-09-2024),Boss-Hog (05-09-2024),Cherokee (05-09-2024),LiferJim (05-09-2024),mth123 (05-09-2024),WVRedsFan (06-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the question on Benson is hitting lefties, the answer isn’t Capel. Capel couldn’t make the A’s, he’s a LHH.

Dunn’s slow start at AAA makes him a question mark as is Hinds at Louisville.

Go out and get a RH outfielder to play in the platoon against lefties. Reds current roster is weak from the RHH side.
    I've been looking at rosters to see who might be available and I'm not seeing much. 3 obvious teams might be dealing this time of year - the Marlins, The Rockies and the White Sox. The Rockies and Marlins don't have much. The Marlins do have Bryan de la Cruz who might fit. They'd probably want some pitching help, but the Reds AAA starters have all been terrible. I doubt they'd take Lyon Richardson who has been the least awful. Maybe a lower level guy like Balcazar or Jorge would interest them. The Marlins also have the corpse of Avisail Garcia on the IL with a hammy. He hasn't been good in a while. The Reds could probably get him for a song but the Marlins would have to cover a bunch of money and I don't see it happening. .

The White Sox have Eloy Jimenez who might be worth a flyer. He's been up and down vs. LHP in his career and isn't really the lefty killer they need. He's not very good in the OF and he's owed some dough.

I still think that Blake Dunn is the best option. There were several there for the taking over the winter and the Reds didn't see the need - they were busy envisioning moving payers all over and out of position to cover it. Now that the need is obvious (of course it was all winter as well) that abundant supply just isn't there. Call up Dunn. They don't really need 2 journeyman LH bats on the bench.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-09-2024 at 08:19 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

JCM11 (05-09-2024),Revering4Blue (05-09-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I've been looking at rosters to see who might be available and I'm not seeing much. 3 obvious teams might be dealing this time of year - the Marlins, The Rockies and the White Sox. The Rockies and Marlins don't have much. The Marlins do have Bryan de la Cruz who might fit. They'd probably want some pitching help, but the Reds AAA starters have all been terrible. I doubt they'd take Lyon Richardson who has been the least awful. Maybe a lower level guy like Balcazar or Jorge would interest them. The Marlins also have the corpse of Avisail Garcia on the IL with a hammy. He hasn't been good in a while. The Reds could probably get him for a song but the Marlins would have to cover a bunch of money and I don't see it happening. .

The White Sox have Eloy Jimenez who might be worth a flyer. He's been up and down vs. LHP in his career and isn't really the lefty killer they need. He's not very good in the OF and he's owed some dough.

I still think that Blake Dunn is the best option. There were several there for the taking over the winter and the Reds didn't see the need - they were busy envisioning moving payers all over and out of position to cover it. Now that the need is obvious (of course it was all winter as well) that abundant supply just isn't there. Call up Dunn. They don't really need 2 journeyman LH bats on the bench.
    I was thinking about Dubon from the Astros

.809 career OPS against LHP

I think it would take a decent prospect or two to peel him away from the Stros, though. I would trade Dunn for him.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 05-09-2024 at 09:36 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I was thinking about Dubon from the Astros

.809 career OPS against LHP

I think it would take a decent prospect or two to peel him away from the Astros, though. I would trade Dunn for him.
    I don't see the Astros dealing yet. If they would I'd go big. Marte, Jorge, Stewart and Petty for Bregman.

Dubon is 29 and a career PT player. Not sure I'd deal a lot of valuable prospects for him. If they could get him for say Sims and a lower level prospect, maybe Jorge or somebody, I'd be in.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-09-2024 at 09:55 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't see the Astros dealing yet. If they would I'd go big. Marte, Jorge, Stewart and Petty for Bregman.

Dubon is 29 and a career PT player. Not sure I'd deal a lot of valuable prospects for him. If they could get him for say Sims and a lower level prospect, maybe Jorge or somebody, I'd be in.
    Bregman is a free agent after this season. No way the Reds should give that much up for a few months of Bregman.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

22. Likes:

GAC (05-09-2024),JCM11 (05-09-2024),ochoa30 (05-17-2024),Redsfan6272 (05-09-2024),westofyou (05-09-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Bregman is a free agent after this season. No way the Reds should give that much up for a few months of Bregman.
    He's the kind of bat they need. If they can get him for less, I'd be fine with it, but I'd trade those guys for him. No sure things in that group.

Send him to AAA to get fixed again. No harm in that.

Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?