Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Benson

Re: Will Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Benson is much better against RHP but he also is striking out much more this year against RHP.

K rate against righties 42.2% so far this season.
    Yep, hard to move base runners, if you canít even make contact

That K ratio is extremely alarming and I agree that heís not going to be able to maintain his current stats striking out that much, not that his current stats are that great anyway. A .197 batting average, from a lefty that has mostly faced righties, is bad by most peoples standards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

2. Turn Off Ads?

VS RHP Benson has put up a line of .222/.297/.431/.728 with a .366 BABIP. That works out to an exactly league average wRC+ of 100 and a WOBa of .318. On the surface, that's playable while hoping for more, but the trajectory says otherwise. He needs a complete reset IMO. .

VS LHP Benson .095/.264/.214/.478. That works out to a woeful 43 WRC+ and a .235 WOBA. They should immediately remove him when a lefty comes in, even if it means a pitcher has to bat.

I really believe all those starts earlier in the year against LHP have messed up Benson's swing and his head - and he still hasn't come out of it. When he does produce, it seems like it's from swinging hard and the ball accidently hitting the bat. A RH hitting OF was a need all winter and Krall failed. IMO, this is a consequence of that, but it may be too late to get Benson back on track.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    VS RHP Benson has put up a line of .222/.297/.431/.728 with a .366 BABIP. That works out to an exactly league average wRC+ of 100 and a WOBa of .318. On the surface, that's playable while hoping for more, but the trajectory says otherwise. He needs a complete reset IMO. .

VS LHP Benson .095/.264/.214/.478. That works out to a woeful 43 WRC+ and a .235 WOBA. They should immediately remove him when a lefty comes in, even if it means a pitcher has to bat.

I really believe all those starts earlier in the year against LHP have messed up Benson's swing and his head - and he still hasn't come out of it. When he does produce, it seems like it's from swinging hard and the ball accidently hitting the bat. A RH hitting OF was a need all winter and Krall failed. IMO, this is a consequence of that, but it may be too late to get Benson back on track.
    I’d argue that the league just figured him out, learned more about him, saw weak spots, and began to dominate Benson with strike outs. I see your point but I don’t know how hitting against lefties caused him to be worse against righties.

The Reds probably made a mistake not sending Benson to AAA. I know his OPS isn’t too bad and he’s been productive to an extent. But for his own sake, to intensively work on his hitting, probably a trip to Louisville would have helped. Not sure they’ll do it at this point.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-22-2024 at 04:33 PM.

5. Likes:

westofyou (06-22-2024)

Last year was the outlier in his professional career, and it was largely inflated by an unsustainable BABIP. It's a shame because he plays with some fire and is a good guy to root for, but there isn't much that shows he is much better than he is playing right now. They could send him down, but I'm not sure out even more AAA time will change him materially as a hitter

They need much more offense out of both corner outfield spots.

7. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-24-2024)

I’d argue that the league just figured him out, learned more about him, saw weak spots, and began to dominate Benson with strike outs. I see your point but I don’t know how hitting against lefties caused him to be worse against righties.

The Reds probably made a mistake not sending Benson to AAA. I know his OPS isn’t too bad and he’s been productive to an extent. But for his own sake, to intensively work on his hitting, probably a trip to Louisville would have helped. Not sure they’ll do it at this point.
    Once you get into bad habits, they happen all the time. Let the lefty screw him up and now he's messed up all the time.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-22-2024 at 08:25 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Last year was the outlier in his professional career, and it was largely inflated by an unsustainable BABIP. It's a shame because he plays with some fire and is a good guy to root for, but there isn't much that shows he is much better than he is playing right now. They could send him down, but I'm not sure out even more AAA time will change him materially as a hitter

They need much more offense out of both corner outfield spots.
    I'd take any guys at this point. Position is irrelevant.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Most likely, this is just who he is. I don’t think he has any more adjustments to make. He’s talented, but I’m just not sure he has a role. He’s not an especially good defender so defensive replacement guy is out. He’s 9 for 15 in SB attempts this year. That’s bad.

He has light tower power and he seems like a really good teammate, but I’m just not sure what he does on a winning team. Entering today, he has a .728 OPS against RHP with a sub-.300 OBP. His dWAR is -0.8.

I think it’s just about over.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-25-2024)

He’s Bernie Carbo. See you in the WS Will when you’re playing for some AL team.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Most likely, this is just who he is. I don’t think he has any more adjustments to make. He’s talented, but I’m just not sure he has a role. He’s not an especially good defender so defensive replacement guy is out. He’s 9 for 15 in SB attempts this year. That’s bad.

He has light tower power and he seems like a really good teammate, but I’m just not sure what he does on a winning team. Entering today, he has a .728 OPS against RHP with a sub-.300 OBP. His dWAR is -0.8.

I think it’s just about over.
    You make a lot of good points here. Don't ruin it by using dWAR to criticize a corner OF
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Once you get into bad habits, they happen all the time. Let the lefty screw him up and now he's messed up all the time.
    Will Benson has faced LHP his entire life. I'm not sure I follow the logic here that it has suddenly resulted in unrepairable harm to his ability against RHP
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

15. Likes:

Kc61 (06-23-2024),LiferJim (06-23-2024),Mitri (06-23-2024),RiverRat13 (06-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Will Benson has faced LHP his entire life. I'm not sure I follow the logic here that it has suddenly resulted in unrepairable harm to his ability against RHP
    He wanted to be a FT hitter and has unfortunately not come through. Maybe lost his confidence. But Iím making excuses now. Just like the Reds ruined Senzel by not leaving him at 3B. I would have preferred that myself. However not the reason he keeps getting injured at this point.

Heís not a good player but he has a lot of talent. Anybody who puts him in their lineup is just looking for lighting in a bottle for a few days or they donít have anybody else. Unfortunately the Reds donít have anybody else.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Cue the “Livan Soto is our savior” dialogue.
    ďThe crows seem to be calling my name,Ē thought Caw.

At a minimum he needs a couple games off. He might need to find his swing in Louisville - if it can be found.

Will Benson

I sung Wils praises all last year, but itís quite clear he needs to be sent down to Louisville, to see if he can be fixed or not.

Edited: I donít EVER like seeing a player get injured, but his injury might help him in the long run, by giving him a much needed trip to AAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LiferJim; 06-24-2024 at 12:18 PM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Turn Off Ads?