Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Friedl to IL; Hurtubise up

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Friedl to IL; Hurtubise up

Reds Place TJ Friedl On Injured List With Thumb Fracture

Reds center fielder TJ Friedl sustained a broken left thumb and has been placed on the 10-day injured list. Cincinnati recalled outfielder Jacob Hurtubise from Triple-A Louisville to take the open roster spot.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Friedl to IL; Hurtubise up

At least the Front Office didn’t take 10 days to respond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-16-2024)

My gosh! What is going on with all of these wrist and hand injuries?!? It’s time to re-up on the body armor.
    Nothing but gas

6. Likes:

malcontent (05-13-2024)

It’s all so tiresome
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

8. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (05-13-2024)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Season has been a disaster.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

10. Likes:

Phoenix2 (05-14-2024),wlf WV (05-14-2024)

Just a snake bit season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Said it before, prefer artistic rendition

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipped_image_20240513_215036.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	21223

'Monster blow': Cincinnati Reds catalyst TJ Friedl returns to IL with fractured thumb
    Friedl, whose thumb fracture was discovered after a second imaging of the injury Monday, is awaiting the results of a third, more detailed CT scan before he expects the medical staff to outline a recovery plan and timeline for a return.

Manager David Bell suggested the potential of a return in five weeks.

Even that optimistic prognosis would mean a return maybe 10 days ahead of Marte next month.

Until then, team president Nick Krall hasn’t ruled out looking for outside help if it’s determined to be an upgrade over in-house options.

He said he had a “couple” phone calls Monday as part of his ongoing due diligence in a trade market that may be starting earlier than usual with a few trades already done around the league.

Veteran outfielder David Peralta, a former Gold Glove and Silver Slugger winner, on Monday opted out of his minor-league deal with the Cubs.

“We’ll have to look at it,” said Krall, “Ideally, I’d like to have Friedl, McLain, Marte and Encarnacion-Strand back. That’s the ideal situation,” Krall said. “But right now we’re just trying to figure out what we can do to best help this ballclub.
    Full Story Here
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

14. Likes:

malcontent (05-15-2024)

Remember that debate here at the trade deadline when the Reds were in 1st place, with more than a handful of posters saying it was "too soon" to go all in, as Reds ownership sat on their hands and cried poor?

Because this season is when it all comes together, right? They've got the pitching now. They have the youth movement all in their 2nd years.

Oh wait, this just in from the apologists... I stand corrected. They meant 2025, not 2024.

Easy mistake, my bad.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

16. Likes:

HammerTime (05-16-2024),MrRedSkull (05-14-2024),Phoenix2 (05-14-2024),REDREAD (05-16-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Season has been a disaster.
    When do the Bengals start???

Time to shift to football. Not good when it's not even Memorial Day yet

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Remember that debate here at the trade deadline when the Reds were in 1st place, with more than a handful of posters saying it was "too soon" to go all in, as Reds ownership sat on their hands and cried poor?

Because this season is when it all comes together, right? They've got the pitching now. They have the youth movement all in their 2nd years.

Oh wait, this just in from the apologists... I stand corrected. They meant 2025, not 2024.

Easy mistake, my bad.
    I'm not sure what team you're watching right now. At this time they have effectively nothing going, outside of Elly (who's playing well but not setting the world on fire) basically everyone is playing poorly. You don't go 3-14 over a 17 game stretch because of one singular factor and even if they had traded for Mookie they would be in disaster land.

The issue here isn't not getting a player in a trade at last year's deadline, whether due to organization hubris or ineptitude or stubbornness. The issue is that several key contributors went down before the season, leading to lots of guys getting exposed as being mediocre (likely due to forcing players into roles they aren't appropriate for). There's no 2023 trade deadline scenario that cures any of what's happening right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-14-2024),Kilgore_Trout (05-14-2024),Kingspoint (05-14-2024),Marc D (05-14-2024),Ron Madden (05-14-2024),westofyou (05-14-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I'm not sure what team you're watching right now. At this time they have effectively nothing going, outside of Elly (who's playing well but not setting the world on fire) basically everyone is playing poorly. You don't go 3-14 over a 17 game stretch because of one singular factor and even if they had traded for Mookie they would be in disaster land.

The issue here isn't not getting a player in a trade at last year's deadline, whether due to organization hubris or ineptitude or stubbornness. The issue is that several key contributors went down before the season, leading to lots of guys getting exposed as being mediocre (likely due to forcing players into roles they aren't appropriate for). There's no 2023 trade deadline scenario that cures any of what's happening right now.

Everything you said is true, at least in my opinion.

I was speaking more to the justification here from many, last season at the deadline. The main premise then, if you recall, was "this is all house money, so no point in going all in, because next season is when it all comes to fruition."

Then others cautioned that teams rarely catch lightning in a bottle like that, and "counting on everything lining up in the future the way they are now, is fools gold."

...And sure enough, here we are.

And you know, normally I wouldn't even say anything. But the pushback and ridicule was so strong on that front... yep, I'm indulging in this one.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (05-16-2024),Revering4Blue (05-16-2024)

Easy mistake, my bad.
    Yep. They had a moment last season to go for it. They didn't because next year is always the year.

23. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-14-2024),REDREAD (05-16-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Yep. They had a moment last season to go for it. They didn't because next year is always the year.
    Close.

The didn't, because they are cheapasses. Just like the Pirates. Just like the A's. Just like any professional team who's ownership is using it strictly as an investment.

The bait and switch to continue to sell tickets is "next year".

I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

25. Likes:

REDREAD (05-16-2024)

Everything you said is true, at least in my opinion.

I was speaking more to the justification here from many, last season at the deadline. The main premise then, if you recall, was "this is all house money, so no point in going all in, because next season is when it all comes to fruition."

Then others cautioned that teams rarely catch lightning in a bottle like that, and "counting on everything lining up in the future the way they are now, is fools gold."

...And sure enough, here we are.

And you know, normally I wouldn't even say anything. But the pushback and ridicule was so strong on that front... yep, I'm indulging in this one.
    Yep, many were making excuses for the front office last year at the trade deadline and now some people are making excuses for this years team. There is NO excuse for the ineptness over the last 30 years.

The more things change…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

27. Likes:

REDREAD (05-16-2024),Redsfan6272 (05-16-2024),Revering4Blue (05-16-2024)

Turn Off Ads?