Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What an Unbelievable Cover of a Classic Pop Tune!!! Do You Have Favorite Covers ?

Re: What an Unbelievable Cover of a Classic Pop Tune!!! Do You Have Favorite Covers

The King has to be in here somewhere

https://youtu.be/wTRSlZEq_l0?si=fUQCU3ObU2k9JGa9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What an Unbelievable Cover of a Classic Pop Tune!!! Do You Have Favorite Covers

I only know of one band that covers "Along Comes to Mary", "Close to You", "Afternoon Delight", "Having My Baby", "Love Will Keep Us Together" and "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" in one fell swoop. Dammit, Circle Jerks did the whole damn deal. Bigger accomplishment than going to the moon. One time when I saw them play it live, they threw a Baby Alive into the mosh pit.

Last edited by M2; 06-28-2024 at 12:24 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Betterread (06-28-2024)

Seems like we’re dividing up this topic into 1) Well-known artists who put their own spin on someone else’s song, and 2) Lesser-known acts who focus on re-creating the sound of the original. There are too many in the first category to even mention, so I’ll focus on the second:

There’s a group called the Middle Aged Dad Jam Band that does a great version of Billy Joel’s “ Scenes From An Italian Restaurant”, complete with Weird Al Yankovic sitting in on accordion.

But my all-time favorite cover band is the Russian band Leonid And Friends, who started out doing note-for-note covers of old Chicago songs and have since branched out to covers of other artists. Their drummer is amazing, and it doesn’t hurt that one of their singers, Ksenia Buzina, may be one of the most beautiful women on the planet. Check them out on YouTube…
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

6. Likes:

dfs (06-27-2024),LiferJim (06-27-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Seems like we’re dividing up this topic into 1) Well-known artists who put their own spin on someone else’s song, and 2) Lesser-known acts who focus on re-creating the sound of the original. There are too many in the first category to even mention, so I’ll focus on the second:

There’s a group called the Middle Aged Dad Jam Band that does a great version of Billy Joel’s “ Scenes From An Italian Restaurant”, complete with Weird Al Yankovic sitting in on accordion.

But my all-time favorite cover band is the Russian band Leonid And Friends, who started out doing note-for-note covers of old Chicago songs and have since branched out to covers of other artists. Their drummer is amazing, and it doesn’t hurt that one of their singers, Ksenia Buzina, may be one of the most beautiful women on the planet. Check them out on YouTube…
    One of my favorite bands for weird is Austrian Death Machine's cover of "Hell Bent For Leather" Austrian Death Machine is a band that takes Arnold Schwarzenegger movie quotes and writes metal songs around them (very funny stuff). One of the best is: "I Need Your Clothes, Your Boots, and Your Motorcycle"

8. Likes:

M2 (07-06-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Here is one for each category:

Pearl Jam covering Pink Floyd

December covering Big Country (they are a Scottish band that do a lot of Celtic rock covers BC, U2, Alarm, even Springsteen)

ďThe guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.Ē

10. Likes:

LiferJim (07-11-2024)

Unforgivably, in my last post I forgot to mention the Mona Lisa Twins. They’re from Austria, they’re actually twins, and their names really are Mona and Lisa. And they do some wonderful covers of the music I grew up on, mostly Beatles stuff. Highly recommended…
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Did I mention Iím a big Dave Grohl fan? Lol Norah Jones too

https://youtu.be/t4lk9vZwIyQ?si=FqgJWAD6LXTtu3IJ

The late great Chris Cornell performing this Bob Marley classic

https://youtu.be/Dz45L5vglhw?si=jyACj3s0FtpIKUej

What an Unbelievable Cover of a Classic Pop Tune!!! Do You Have Favorite Covers ?

One of my favorite Neil Young songs performed by Dave Mathewís and Warren Haynes! Love how they trade off verses and at one point Dave looks amazed at Warren killing it on guitar. Dave looks at his drummer smiling and mouths ďthatís badĒ. Itís a long song, but well worth it!

https://youtu.be/yiO13jTsBdQ?si=EELWhp8UdN4wX52C

Last edited by LiferJim; 07-11-2024 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post

The late great Chris Cornell performing this Bob Marley classic
    Ok, invariably, when a white guy plays a Bob Marley song, it's this one, and it's the only one they shouldn't play. I know why they like it, because it's the only Marley tune that isn't in reggae rhythm, and is more like a marching band tune.
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 07-13-2024 at 12:32 PM.

One of my favorite Neil Young songs performed by Dave Mathew’s....
    I know Dave gets a lot of grief, but he is an awesome guitar player. And, his style is so damn difficult to play. I'm pretty good, but there is very little Dave Matthew's stuff I have managed to copy. I try, but then I just give up.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I know Dave gets a lot of grief, but he is an awesome guitar player. And, his style is so damn difficult to play. I'm pretty good, but there is very little Dave Matthew's stuff I have managed to copy. I try, but then I just give up.
    Yes, Daveís guitar playing is very underrated! You and both know thereís a lot more to playing guitar, than shredding leads. Iíve never tried to learn any of his songs, but now youíve peaked my curiosity.

Yes, Dave’s guitar playing is very underrated! You and both know there’s a lot more to playing guitar, than shredding leads. I’ve never tried to learn any of his songs, but now you’ve peaked my curiosity.

I learned Ants Marching and Crash Into Me a long time ago, and parts of other songs.

The thing with Dave's playing is that it looks easy until you try to do it. The right arm is pretty straight-forward, but with a very percussive beat and lots of syncopation. The left hand doesn't have a lot of crazy chords or riffs, but he relies on a lot of triads with wide stretches blended with a kind of walking bass, and he's doing all this while singing at the same time.

18. Likes:

LiferJim (07-14-2024)

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I learned Ants Marching and Crash Into Me a long time ago, and parts of other songs.

The thing with Dave's playing is that it looks easy until you try to do it. The right arm is pretty straight-forward, but with a very percussive beat and lots of syncopation. The left hand doesn't have a lot of crazy chords or riffs, but he relies on a lot of triads with wide stretches blended with a kind of walking bass, and he's doing all this while singing at the same time.
    Another one who catches some grief, but I find very hard to play is John Mayer. He plays a lot of weird chords that Iím not yet used to. I did learn his version of Like a Rolling Stone and Slow Dancing in a Burning Room last year.

A lot of people donít like him and though I donít care for his pop stuff, he does have some very cool tunes, IMO.

Another one who catches some grief, but I find very hard to play is John Mayer. He plays a lot of weird chords that I’m not yet used to. I did learn his version of Like a Rolling Stone and Slow Dancing in a Burning Room last year.

A lot of people don’t like him and though I don’t care for his pop stuff, he does have some very cool tunes, IMO.

He catches grief for his incredible douchieness. Otherwise, he is an incredible guitar player/musician.

Turn Off Ads?