Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What an Unbelievable Cover of a Classic Pop Tune!!! Do You Have Favorite Covers ?

Re: What an Unbelievable Cover of a Classic Pop Tune!!! Do You Have Favorite Covers

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I'm really shaken by this one. Many of you know how much I like Karen Carpenter. I thought she had a once in a lifetime voice. That she died so young and so tragically stills haunt me to this day. I think ,maybe, I have found her reincarnated voice in a young lady by the name of Tori Holub. I came across a cover she did of "We've Only Just Begun," which is the most spot on cover of an original track I have ever heard in my life. It is almost unbelievable that this is not Karen's voice. Give this a listen and let me know what you think of this haunting cover of one of Karen's signature songs.

Also, let's use this thread to list some of your favorite covers of classic rock or pop songs. Comment on mine if you want and/or give one of your favorites.

Are we sure that's not really Karen Carpenters voice dubbed in? If not it's a remarkable similarity.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What an Unbelievable Cover of a Classic Pop Tune!!! Do You Have Favorite Covers

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Are we sure that's not really Karen Carpenters voice dubbed in? If not it's a remarkable similarity.
    Yeah, in fact, a guy(Wings of Pegasus on YouTube- the same guy that busted Don Henley) used the pitch software technology to prove that Tori was singing. He compared the wave patterns of Karen singing this tune to Tori and the results showed totally different waves. Definitive proof of two different singers. It absolutely blew me away. To my ear, you can barely hear a difference(you can , but it's subtle) but when you look at the pitch waves...totally different.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

It’s definitely different. I still prefer Karen but only by an eyelash. I could tell a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It’s definitely different. I still prefer Karen but only by an eyelash. I could tell a difference

Same here, Sea. There's a difference, but it's very subtle. Anytime someone says, "I prefer Karen but only by an eyelash" then you know the gal sings pretty darn good.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Here's Karen with her version of the song if you want to do your own comparison test.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

My only complaint re the cover is that it is so similar to the original that it hardly seems the point. For me, most of the best covers put their own stamp on the song with some sort of unique element, either an alteration to the music, the voice, the tempo, changes to lyrics, etc. With the Carpenters, for instance, their music which has coincidentally been in my car CD player the past week, the sound is so 70s- from the strings to the occasional guitar solo. Updating the sound of the songs could really put a new life in them.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Roll over Chuck Berry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quirky cover of an AC/DC classic.

9. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (05-22-2024)

https://youtu.be/B6YL03Zt-sI?si=R41pzrjJ7ZJnznpI

Love me some Pearl Jam

Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    https://youtu.be/B6YL03Zt-sI?si=R41pzrjJ7ZJnznpI

Love me some Pearl Jam

Watch Eddie Vedder sing “The Waiting” with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

12. Likes:

LiferJim (05-22-2024)

What an Unbelievable Cover of a Classic Pop Tune!!! Do You Have Favorite Covers ?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Watch Eddie Vedder sing “The Waiting” with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
    Thank you. Loved that

For all you blues lovers, check out this cover of Albert Kings, Breaking up Somebody’s Home

It’s Warren Haynes (Government Mule) and Joe Banamassa teaming up. It’s long, but incredible back and forth guitar playing. This is absolutely rocking towards the end.

https://youtu.be/KX14smq21HE?si=P2lWP-d26ckM7Mlh

Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

14. Likes:

redsfan9988 (05-22-2024)

Turn Off Ads?