Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: 5-22-24 Reds vs Padres 6:40 PM

Re: 5-22-24 Reds vs Padres 6:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Why wait to do what, exactly?

Replace Ford with a kid who isn’t hitting AAA? Rush that kid so he’ll never be any good?

Go out and sign a better veteran? With whose money?

You wait because Ford and Martini did well in 2023 and there aren’t good alternatives.
    And you've given them a shot and got nothing. Next!

25 or 26 year olds are at little risk of being ruined by a call-up. I'm not suggesting rushing Cam Collier. Dunn turns 26 this year. See if he can step-up with a promotion. Burdick is 27. Jordan is 28. They all can at least play.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The scary thing is that there is absolutely NOBODY banging on the door to bring up anymore is there? Last year there were so many in the pipeline. Now it seems like there are 4 injuries and this team is about as fun to watch as a commencement address.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-23-2024),wlf WV (05-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And you've given them a shot and got nothing. Next!

25 or 26 year olds are at little risk of being ruined by a call-up. I'm not suggesting rushing Cam Collier. Dunn turns 26 this year. See if he can step-up with a promotion. Burdick is 27. Jordan is 28. They all can at least play.
    Are these guys, Dunn, Burdick, Jordan, dominating at AAA? Ford was. Martini was, in his short stay down there. Jordan is hitting at AAA but does he have any major league experience?

Reds chose the guys they think are best suited to help the big team. It’s better to give them some time rather than a frenetic search of every warm body.

Blake Dunn in particular is a a potential major leaguer, but started slowly at AAA. You can’t force the issue, it doesn’t work, when he’s ready he should come up.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-22-2024 at 10:10 PM.

On the bright side, the Brewers were shutout by the Marlins and the Cubs lost to the Braves. On the not so bright side, the Cardinals noticed we were mocking them, so they won twice today against the Orioles, completing a 3 game sweep of them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-23-2024),wlf WV (05-23-2024)

Even if they send down Ford, Hurtubise would still be on team, which tells you what else is down on the farm to call up.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

and Reds in last place

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    and Reds in last place
    By three games, I hate to say.

Le Dumpster Fire
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Get’em tomorrow.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Are these guys, Dunn, Burdick, Jordan, dominating at AAA? Ford was. Martini was, in his short stay down there. Jordan is hitting at AAA but does he have any major league experience?

Reds chose the guys they think are best suited to help the big team. It’s better to give them some time rather than a frenetic search of every warm body.

Blake Dunn in particular is a a potential major leaguer, but started slowly at AAA. You can’t force the issue, it doesn’t work, when he’s ready he should come up.
    But Martini and Ford have had their shot and haven't done anything with it. Time to move on. Now try somebody else. They brought in minor league vets like Burdick and Jordan for this eventuality. At least Benson wouldn't have to start against LHP anymore. I think that would go a long way towards getting him out of his funk.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But Martini and Ford have had their shot and haven't done anything with it. Time to move on. Now try somebody else. They brought in minor league vets like Burdick and Jordan for this eventuality. At least Benson wouldn't have to start against LHP anymore. I think that would go a long way towards getting him out of his funk.
    Ford has 53 PAs with the Reds. He’s had his shot? Where is that written?

You can’t run a club changing the guard every 53 PAs. It takes some guys awhile to get going.

The Reds’ situation is tough given the injuries. To some extent, they are just going to have to wait to get healthy. Until then, IMO, they need to make player decisions based on all the info available, not run a frenetic tryout camp.

Ford has 53 PAs with the Reds. He’s had his shot? Where is that written?

You can’t run a club changing the guard every 53 PAs. It takes some guys awhile to get going.

The Reds’ situation is tough given the injuries. To some extent, they are just going to have to wait to get healthy. Until then, IMO, they need to make player decisions based on all the info available, not run a frenetic tryout camp.
    Ford’s xwOBA is .202.

His savant page is as blue as the Pacific. Then there’s the eye test. It looks an awful lot like he can’t play. When you factor in the number of MLB teams that have had him and said, “we’re cutting you because we need this roster spot for someone terrible,” it looks pretty grim. I’m all for giving him a look since we’re gonna lose 98 games anyway. But… yeah… I don’t think he’s the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Ford’s xwOBA is .202.

His savant page is as blue as the Pacific. Then there’s the eye test. It looks an awful lot like he can’t play. When you factor in the number of MLB teams that have had him and said, “we’re cutting you because we need this roster spot for someone terrible,” it looks pretty grim. I’m all for giving him a look since we’re gonna lose 98 games anyway. But… yeah… I don’t think he’s the answer.
    Of course Ford isn’t “the answer.” But there is no answer except getting healthy. And even then, let’s see how the offense functions. It may or may not be as advertised, we’ll see.

The pertinent question for now is who can provide short-term, fill-in help for the offense. And based on his performance last year, and at AAA this year, Reds chose Ford, he seems like a logical choice, so let’s give him a fair amount of time to get going.

Why wait to do what, exactly?

Replace Ford with a kid who isnít hitting AAA? Rush that kid so heíll never be any good?

Go out and sign a better veteran? With whose money?

You wait because Ford and Martini did well in 2023 and there arenít good alternatives.
    I mean, the choice is to just wait the current situation out and hope things get better on its own or start retooling the team.
    I suspect Krall will chose to wait it out.
    Montas will be dealt. If he can find takers for the other high priced guys (unlikely) they will be dealt too.
    But Krall isn't likely to try to make a trade.
    He could make a salary neutral trade though.. for example, trade a reliever for that RH platoon bat we desperately need.
    Maybe Montas gets us that bat at the deadline (a young RH hitter with some control that can help immediately).

The other approach would be to trade someone like Benson for a veteran hitter from a tanking team, but like you said, Reds are unlikely to spend the money to do that. Just not their style.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Of course Ford isn’t “the answer.” But there is no answer except getting healthy. And even then, let’s see how the offense functions. It may or may not be as advertised, we’ll see.

The pertinent question for now is who can provide short-term, fill-in help for the offense. And based on his performance last year, and at AAA this year, Reds chose Ford, he seems like a logical choice, so let’s give him a fair amount of time to get going.
    Then I'd bring in a baseball player. Ford is there to do one thing and he's terrible at that one thing. He can't run, has no defensive value and he hamstrings the roster so guys like Benson have to play against LHP and Steer or India's Iron gloves are playing defense against RHP. I'd personally try Dunn, but I'd be fine giving this Burdick dude a look first to give Dunn more time in AAA. Just about anyone who will keep Benson on the bench against LHP would be a solid choice. They could send down Hurtubise or Martini instead, but Ford is the one who most violates my sensibilities of what a baseball player should be. Late career Babe Ruth could get away with that, but not a guy who hits like Rick Aurbach.

Turn Off Ads?