Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: What moves could be made REALISTICALLY to improve this team immediately?

Re: What moves could be made REALISTICALLY to improve this team immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ashcraft was sent down to AAA because he has been bad. I think they could use a BOR arm, but Spiers might be the guy. I want to see what he has.
    I agree the Reds could use a BOR starter and I hope they acquire one. I just think an elite reliever or two is more of a priority.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Diaz' "bad patch" has been going on for 12 months now(67.1 IP, 4.54 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 1.5 SO to BB rate). That's a mediocre mid relief guy being run out as the closer. Nothing that Krall has shown so far says he will make a move for and ace SP. The Reds are committed to building from within, and the poor performance/injuries/suspensions of many of the top prospects limits what Krall could do anyway. I could see a Cabrera or Aguiar fringe top 10 in the system type for a decent SP rental, but nothing bigger than that. I think they will give Spiers a look and give Ashcraft a chance to get going. They're also going to get the 120 innings out of Martinez that they paid for.
    Does the 12 months include the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Does the 12 months include the winter?
    Any way you slice it 68 innings is not a small sample size for a reliever. Diaz has been bad for awhile. You must be watching a different pitcher than I am. Every time he goes on the mound these days he is extremely shaky.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Any way you slice it 68 innings is not a small sample size for a reliever. Diaz has been bad for awhile. You must be watching a different pitcher than I am. Every time he goes on the mound these days he is extremely shaky.
    Diaz was pretty good last season. 3.07 ERA. 148 ERA+. 37 saves/3 blown saves.

Second half wasn’t too good, but July and August ERAs were 2.38 and 2.61. Stellar Reds defense didn’t help him since unearned runs were also allowed.

I think he’ll turn it around, he hasn’t been able to pitch in his normal setting much this year. Reds haven’t had a lot of save opportunities compared to most teams.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3548...-trade-offers/

Report: Diamondbacks will listen to Eugenio Suarez trade offers
    He’s basically been a replacement level player this season, and makes $11M. But he’s been a RH middle of the lineup bat. Maybe going back to GABP could help turn him around?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

He’s basically been a replacement level player this season, and makes $11M. But he’s been a RH middle of the lineup bat. Maybe going back to GABP could help turn him around?
    I was a fan of Geno’s when he played for the Reds. He seemed like a good dude….. having said that, no thanks. He strikes out too much. We’ve got enough of those guys as it is.
    Nothing but gas

8. Likes:

dragonoffrost (06-11-2024),Marc D (06-10-2024),ochoa30 (06-11-2024),RiverRat13 (06-11-2024),WrongVerb (06-10-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Hes basically been a replacement level player this season, and makes $11M. But hes been a RH middle of the lineup bat. Maybe going back to GABP could help turn him around?
    Loved his time with the Reds. But we already have a Geno named Jeimer Candelario and there's not room for a 2nd one. But unless you're getting him salary paid for Blake Dunn, I'm not sure I see the point. And even then....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

10. Likes:

dragonoffrost (06-11-2024),Revering4Blue (06-11-2024),RiverRat13 (06-10-2024)

I'd want a starter. This starter needs to at minimum clear Montas. Preferably, the starter also moves Abbott to the fourth starter. I like Abbott. He's done an excellent job at suppressing hard contact this year. But his drop in K rate and his unsustainable LOB% has me worried about what his second half will look like and makes me uncomfortable as the third starter in a playoff series.

12. Likes:

Kc61 (06-11-2024),Mitri (06-11-2024),mth123 (06-11-2024),Revering4Blue (06-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'd want a starter. This starter needs to at minimum clear Montas. Preferably, the starter also moves Abbott to the fourth starter. I like Abbott. He's done an excellent job at suppressing hard contact this year. But his drop in K rate and his unsustainable LOB% has me worried about what his second half will look like and makes me uncomfortable as the third starter in a playoff series.
    I like Abbott too; but was at the game the other day (field level 1B side), and he was terrible. Behind batters in the count most of the time, threw several balls in the dirt in front of homeplate, 4 BB's, and 99 pitches in 5 innings. I found it amazing he only gave up 1 ER. His biggest adversary is getting out of the 1st inning.

You can never have enough pitching.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

There are nine ballclubs who, combined, are 155 games over .500. A fairly clear top tier. For the teams not in that tier, like the Reds, how much do the invest in 2024?

It’s exciting to think Reds could make the playoffs - and they can. But is this the year to “go big” and try and compete for a real playoff run? Or do they try to get and stay above .500 and see where it leads them?

I think this is the decision they have to make. They need a starting pitcher in any event. SP depth, well intended, hasn’t worked out. At some point they have to just go for it - I’d like to see it now - but Reds may choose a more modest path. Understandable, either way.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-11-2024 at 07:59 AM.

There are nine ballclubs who, combined, are 155 games over .500. A fairly clear top tier. For the teams not in that tier, like the Reds, how much do the invest in 2024?

It’s exciting to think Reds could make the playoffs - and they can. But is this the year to “go big” and try and compete for a real playoff run? Or do they try to get and stay above .500 and see where it leads them?

I think this is the decision they have to make. They need a starting pitcher in any event. SP depth, well intended, hasn’t worked out. At some point they have to just go for it - I’d like to see it now - but Reds may choose a more modest path. Understandable, either way.
    I only factor in the NL teams in the Reds analysis regarding projections. The 2 best NL teams, Dodgers and Phillies, we've already won season series against. Braves are down due to injuries and Milwaukee is solid but no world beaters.

This is exactly the type of year to be aggressive and get some 2nd half help. Target rentals where it only costs money. That'll be made up more than enough with a playoff stretch where Reds are in.

16. Likes:

mth123 (06-11-2024),Revering4Blue (06-11-2024)

They aren't going for it this year. This is a year to get Greene, Lodolo, and Abbott's innings built up and get them ready for a full seasons work load in 2025. McLain is out, Marte will have adjustments to make, CES has to adjust, and Elly needs to figure out how to regain his April form. Getting a decent back end of the rotation innings eater may not even happen if Spiers looks good enough over the next month+, and they get Ashcraft sorted out. I think it's 50/50 on if they are sellers or buyers right now. If hardly anyone is selling and it becomes a sellers market Krall may not be able to resist moving a few vets for a haul.

18. Likes:

GAC (06-11-2024)

2024 isn't the year to go for it, because reasons.

2025 isn't the year to go for it, because other reasons.

2026 isn't the year to go for it, because more reasons.

20. Likes:

LiferJim (06-11-2024),membengal (06-12-2024),Mitri (06-11-2024),Revering4Blue (06-11-2024),RiverRat13 (06-11-2024),Roy Tucker (06-11-2024)

Understandable, either way.
    Nah, it is not understandable if they decide to stand pat, unless they lose like 30 of their next 35 games or something, obviously
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-11-2024)

I think Milwaukee will come back to the pack more than the Reds will "go for it".

It will be interesting to see what they do. I can see it both ways.

Turn Off Ads?