Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What moves could be made REALISTICALLY to improve this team immediately?

What moves could be made REALISTICALLY to improve this team immediately?

"Realistically" being subjective, of course. I just mean, let's talk specific moves that could be made that would immediately improve the team.

I'd get Tommy Pham. I'm not sure what the White Sox would want, but if it were a realistic ask, then I'd do it.

2. Likes:

elrojo (06-13-2024),KeefeCato (05-25-2024),REDREAD (05-23-2024),Redsfan6272 (05-23-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What moves could be made REALISTICALLY to improve this team immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    "Realistically" being subjective, of course. I just mean, let's talk specific moves that could be made that would immediately improve the team.

I'd get Tommy Pham. I'm not sure what the White Sox would want, but if it were a realistic ask, then I'd do it.
    Taylor Ward from the Angels maybe?

5. Likes:

KeefeCato (05-25-2024),Marc D (05-23-2024),REDREAD (05-23-2024),WrongVerb (05-24-2024)

Easy. Castellini sells the Reds to an owner who cares.

7. Likes:

CTA513 (05-25-2024),Falls City Beer (05-24-2024),Kinsm (05-23-2024),LiferJim (05-23-2024),Powder River (05-23-2024),Red Raindog (05-29-2024),RedForLife (05-23-2024),REDREAD (05-23-2024),Rojo Rijo (05-24-2024),WVRedsFan (07-01-2024)

What moves could be made REALISTICALLY to improve this team immediately?

1. Get rid of Ford asap and bring back Capel
    2. Get a right handed hitter asap
    3. Get a whole new hitting approach. Maybe read the book the from Ted Williams, WOY spoke about and remind them you can hit the ball the other way, even at GAB
    5. Stop leaving pitchers in, when it’s clear to the rest of the world, their done
    6. Fire the hitting coach and whoever is giving him advice

Long term, we all know the real truth. We may get lucky every once in a long long while, but this ownership has proven what’s more important $$$$

Honestly I feel bad for the younger generation, that’s had to live their whole lives watching this inept franchise. My son is 27, absolutely loves baseball, and has never seen us even win a playoff series. That’s sad and inexcusable.

Everyone says where you gonna go and it’s the truth, because we love our Reds, even though we can’t stand the Castellini’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LiferJim; 05-23-2024 at 09:15 PM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-23-2024),corkedbat (05-24-2024),Kingspoint (05-26-2024),Powder River (05-23-2024),REDREAD (05-23-2024)

I'm sure there's moves that could be made. However, if we're talking trades this early then that's going to be teams knowing they have leverage over the Reds and getting them to overpay. I don't see them taking on much $ in any deal for a veteran. Obviously exchanging out the 4A players for each other does nothing. The minor leagues at the upper levels are a barren wasteland for offense.

With so many guys either hurt or not hitting I just don't know if anything that moves the needle would be worth it. Do you try to land one of the Orioles blocked AAA guys like Stowers or Norby by giving up some pitching or some of our really young prospects? Wait on the injured/suspended guys to get back? Put Condon in the cleanup spot the day after the draft? All of the above lol?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Feels a bit redundant to pay prospect capital for Pham when we’ll be flipping ourselves in a couple of months.

Ward is one of the few good players the Halos have and I would guess their asking price is probably a lot higher than it should be, and I don’t think he makes enough of a difference to change this season’s trajectory.

It would be a good idea to make a meaningful move for a good player who could be here a couple of years.

The amount of talent we’d have to bring in to give us legitimate hope for making the playoffs would be exorbitant.

I’d keep Herd of Bees and Capel up. Maybe Dunn.

Promote Maxwell as soon as he’s ready.

Marte is what - 35 games away? Friedl should be back mid-June.

There’s just not much we can reasonably do.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The Reds aren’t going to acquire anyone making money and set to be a FA soon…they’ll be selling.

13. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (05-24-2024)

It honestly would probably be worthwhile to trade for a RH OF, just to take the stress off Benson. If Benson was platooned the rest of the year, he might get more comfortable and start hitting again.. I'd consider it an investment in next year, to try to get Benson's confidence back. Honestly, the bar is pretty low for "good enough". If we plan on selling off Montas in July (not sure we are there yet), why not just trade a reliever (other than Diaz) for that RH bat? Ideally a RH bat with 2-3 years of control.. does not really have to be a stud, just adequate.
    Or perhaps a C prospect. Or maybe even Fraley.
    As far as budget goes, they'll save a good chunk on Montas' contract when they deal him.

Since we are constrained to be realistic, I'm not sure we can ask Krall to be bold and do anything else.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The immediate move I would make would be Benson to AAA. He has no future striking out 40%. I’d add back someone who makes contact. Either a trade or maybe Levi Jordan at AAA who is hot and makes contact.

Friedl and Marte will also add contact. I think the lineup will function better with a few more contact hitters.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (05-23-2024),WVRedsFan (06-08-2024)

Buy Mike Ford a one-way ticket to Palukaville - was going to say, shoot him into the sun but that would have been mean. I’m sure he’s a nice fellow and is trying his hardest.

Then it’s time for Nick Krall to actually get creative and find that ball player who’s overlooked, unwanted, or otherwise available. I think we’re all ready for the next Josh Hamilton or Brandon Phillips find - hey, maybe we could swing a trade for Wayne Krivsky!

What’s actually realistic? For this ownership and front office?? I have no idea….
    Last edited by Powder River; 05-24-2024 at 12:37 PM.
    Nothing but gas

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-24-2024)

An opposite George approach to hitting? Just do the exact opposite of what you’ve been doing. Look for offspeed/breaking pitches and try to lash them the other way. Adjust to the fastball and foul it off. Just do the exact opposite of what you’ve been doing.

This is the worst team I’ve ever seen against the change up/splitter. Literally every, single hitter sans MAYBE Candelario is utterly baffled by every change up. Baffled. Like they’ve never seen one. Like they can’t even understand the mechanics of how a pitch is a little bit slower than it looks like it should be.

And once they’re down in the count, our hitter get REAL conservative all of a sudden. They K looking A LOT.

I thinks it’s blatantly obvious the way the league is pitching most Reds: breaking balls and offspeed pitches early to get ahead with whiffs and fouls - and in-the-zone fastballs late to finish. I’ve seen it over and over and over and over and over. No adjustments. Just keep “grinding.”

Dude… make adjustments. Please. The culture of, “we’re good at baseball so we’ll just keep doing the same stuff,” isn’t going to work. Winners at this level make adjustments every game. Every at bat. Reds hitters don’t adjust to ****. They just do the exact same thing every time no matter what. That’s beatable.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-24-2024)

I don’t know. Maybe fire the hitting coach for a start, just because last in the league doesn’t look good on anybody’s CV.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

22. Likes:

REDREAD (05-24-2024),Redsfan6272 (05-24-2024),RedTeamGo! (05-24-2024),TeamSelig (05-25-2024)

Until McLain and Marte are back the offense is going to be putrid. They could make a trade for an OF bat, but I doubt they're parting with prospects (despite the sorry state of their current crop). So it's just a matter of hoping Benson and Candelario join Stephenson in turning their fortunes around and that Elly goes on another tear.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

24. Likes:

GAC (06-06-2024),Old school 1983 (05-27-2024)

Does Maxwell make his GAB debut before or after the ASB? Feel like it's coming.

26. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-27-2024)

Immediate move (with tons of risk):

trade Rhett Lowder to the Blue Jays for Vlad Jr.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

28. Likes:

Powder River (05-24-2024),REDREAD (05-24-2024)

Turn Off Ads?