Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to talk about Jonathan India

Re: It's time to talk about Jonathan India

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    With McLain’s injuries in 2023-24, and India’s injuries in 2022-23, it may be a good idea to keep them both for next year.

Some creative use of the DH spot would allow that.
    Wasn't that kind of the plan this season that lots of RedsZone disagreed with-- India as a part-time 2B spelling middle infielders EDLC and McLain, DHing some, and maybe moving to a corner OF spot as a short-side platoon guy for Fraley or Benson?

2. Likes:

CaiGuy (06-25-2024),goreds2 (06-25-2024),Marc D (06-25-2024),MoneyInTheBank (06-25-2024),Redeyecat (06-29-2024),Revering4Blue (06-25-2024),RiverRat13 (06-25-2024),Ron Madden (06-25-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Wasn't that kind of the plan this season that lots of RedsZone disagreed with-- India as a part-time 2B spelling middle infielders EDLC and McLain, DHing some, and maybe moving to a corner OF spot as a short-side platoon guy for Fraley or Benson?
    The issue today is health. I don’t think Reds can count on McLain and CES as being full-time, full-season players next year. No longer are we squeezing India in to get him playing time. It’s probably a necessity to have him, or someone like him, given the infield injuries.

So to answer your question, if everyone stays and everyone is fully healthy, yes, it would result in the kind of role for India you suggested.

But the reason to keep him now is far more compelling. Two of the expected stalwart infielders are question marks. Last spring Reds were considering trading him for a more useful asset. Right now, India is a very useful asset himself.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-25-2024 at 08:45 AM.

The issue today is health. I don’t think Reds can count on McLain and CES as being full-time, full-season players next year. No longer are we squeezing India in to get him playing time. It’s probably a necessity to have him, or someone like him, given the infield injuries.

So to answer your question, if everyone stays and everyone is fully healthy, yes, it would result in the kind of role for India you suggested.

But the reason to keep him now is far more compelling. Two of the expected stalwart infielders are question marks. Last spring Reds were considering trading him for a more useful asset. Right now, India is a very useful asset himself.
    I can't speak for BZ but I saw him last offseason the way you see him now. While I would not have predicted this level of injury/suspension nor the specific players who would suffer, I thought he would be needed for long stretches in 2024.
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

6. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-25-2024),CaiGuy (06-25-2024),goreds2 (06-25-2024),Redeyecat (06-29-2024),Ron Madden (06-25-2024)

The India discussion today should be the same as the offseason - he's a 2-3 win player and the Reds roster isn't good enough to trade 2-3 win players. Keeping him at his locked in price has always made the most sense, especially now with the improved defense. There are still way too many question marks about this roster going forward to trade Jonathan India. I guess you could trade him this offseason for a similarly valued player but at a different position, but those type of trades are very rare.

India has had a great June.

I am kind of coming around to this pov myself.

We learned nothing about how CES, Marte and McLain developed this year so we have to go into '25 with India and Candelario as the other two IF rotation pieces just to be safe. At full health and positive development, that can be quite an infield but India isn't fungible at this point. I used to think he was.

I'm so glad the Reds didn't trade Jonathan India. I've always like his value to the team.
    ďItís the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.Ē
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

11. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (06-25-2024),Redeyecat (06-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    They have at least one elite bat on the shelf and potentially two.
    I really like McLain , Marte and CES. But in no world would any baseball GM call any of them Elite
    Not yet. McLain has one season and before he was shut down last year. He slumped badly in the 2nd half. Maybe it was due to injury. Maybe it was due to league adjusting. Probably a little of both.
    Haven't we learned by now you can't declare any player elite based off one season.
    Having said all of that I think McLain has a chance to be very good Maybe Elite. But not yet.

13. Likes:

Indymoon (06-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I really like McLain , Marte and CES. But in no world would any baseball GM call any of them Elite
    Not yet. McLain has one season and before he was shut down last year. He slumped badly in the 2nd half. Maybe it was due to injury. Maybe it was due to league adjusting. Probably a little of both.
    Haven't we learned by now you can't declare any player elite based off one season.
    Having said all of that I think McLain has a chance to be very good Maybe Elite. But not yet.
    Yes, McLain has only 89 games under his belt and multiple injuries. Definitely a bit soon to be declaring him or any of the mentioned guys elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

15. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-25-2024)

The easy part about forecasting this teamís near future is that if those three all fail to develop then we never had a real window anyway.

I sense that we will swing wildly to the negative side of the spectrum and spend a year reminding ourselves they havenít done much to the point we get down on them.

Feels like the pitching staff conversations last year in a way.

17. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-26-2024),Roy Tucker (06-26-2024)

Jon's main goal is to try and look like Johnny Depp.

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-26-2024),Roy Tucker (06-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    The easy part about forecasting this team’s near future is that if those three all fail to develop then we never had a real window anyway.

I sense that we will swing wildly to the negative side of the spectrum and spend a year reminding ourselves they haven’t done much to the point we get down on them.

Feels like the pitching staff conversations last year in a way.

I agree. I expect (if healthy) we will see much better season 3s for the youngsters. Sophomore slumps are real. Wither it's performance or injury related.

21. Likes:

Roy Tucker (06-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    Jon's main goal is to try and look like Johnny Depp.
    I get a Captain Morgan vibe

School's out. What did you expect?

23. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-27-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I agree. I expect (if healthy) we will see much better season 3s for the youngsters. Sophomore slumps are real. Wither it's performance or injury related.
    I also think it’s a skill to, as they say, play within yourself. That is, learn how far you can press your effort and abilities and still not hurt yourself.

I think young players often give max plus effort on a play in the competitive heat of the moment only to injure themselves. As Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies “A man's GOT to know his limitations”.
    I learn by going where I have to go.

I'm happy to see India playing better. Not just because the Reds need him, but also because he seems like a genuinely good guy. I hope he keeps it up. He's not hard to root for.
    School's out. What did you expect?

26. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (06-26-2024),LiferJim (06-26-2024),Redeyecat (06-29-2024),RiverRat13 (06-26-2024),Roy Tucker (06-29-2024)

Turn Off Ads?