Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caitlin Clark

Caitlin Clark

All hype or no?

Seems like everyone is complaining about the fouls she's getting since going to the WNBA.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Caitlin Clark

She’s a solid player for sure, but probably won’t live up to the hype. The fouls are absolutely ridiculous though and the other players need to recognize that Caitlin will make them more soon since she brings a lot of eyeballs to the WNBA. They need to protect their most valuable asset and cut the cheap fouls immediately.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

4. Likes:

Chip R (06-05-2024)

The only young athlete that was treated close to this badly was Tiger Woods, and we all know why. But golfers changed their attitude quickly when Tiger showed how good he was and how much attention and money he attracted to the sport.
    Caitlin Clark is seen as the golden goose of the WNBA and she needs to start playing like a star.

At the same time, the intentional fouls like that inbounds shove away from the ball where the fouling player is clearly calling her a female dog need to result in an ejection, suspension and fine. That was really bad refereeing.

6. Likes:

goreds2 (06-05-2024),Sea Ray (06-05-2024),texasdave (06-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    The only young athlete that was treated close to this badly was Tiger Woods, and we all know why. But golfers changed their attitude quickly when Tiger showed how good he was and how much attention and money he attracted to the sport.
    The better Tiger got, the whiter he got.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I think these are just growing pains for Clark. I don't know if she ever lives up to the hype, but that's not her fault. I do see her as a superstar in the WNBA eventually. She has shown flashes of that, she just needs to adjust to the athleticism. I don't think the other women need to be kissing Clark's backside, but they do need to understand that she is bringing a ton of money their way, just like Tiger did for golf. The WNBA has NEVER made a profit, they may this year. I would be shocked if the Fever didn't turn a profit this year. Gainbridge Fieldhouse has been sold out almost, if not ever game so far. Clark has taken some extremely hard fouls early; the refs need to call those. I'm OK with some of them, they are the normal "Welcome to the show" stuff, but many are just jealousy. Without getting too much into it, but I'd definitely say there is some racial issues at play also, but that's for the other side of the board to discuss if they wanted to.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

MJ got beat up when he was a young player in the NBA. I have no issue if teams try to play physical with her, foul her, make her earn it. However, the dirty plays need to stop.

I think she ends up being a great in the league. She plays the game like a man (not to be dismissive.) she moves well, passes well, shoots from a range that most can only dream of.

I said this to my wife during her first game, which we watched. The WNBA is in a tricky spot right now, they got the star they have always needed to grow the sport, but what if she just isn't that good? For all the legendary players who came before her, no one caught the imagination of the entire sports world like Clark did.

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-05-2024)

Clark is adjusting to both a different style of play and a higher level of defender/s.

I would much rather see this type of treatment (Jordan) than the opposite (Lebron). I think in the end it will make her a better player and she'll have a better career.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Clark is adjusting to both a different style of play and a higher level of defender/s.

I would much rather see this type of treatment (Jordan) than the opposite (Lebron). I think in the end it will make her a better player and she'll have a better career.
    I think it's also important to note she was still playing college ball two months ago. I'm not sure there's many other leagues that have such a quick turnaround from college season to draft, training camp, preseason, and then regular season. Not much time to adjust before she was playing real games at the highest level.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

14. Likes:

Betterread (06-05-2024),Chip R (06-05-2024),goreds2 (06-05-2024),Rojo Rijo (06-05-2024)

Really nice outside shot when she gets her feet set...tremendous passer esp on the break. She needs some finishing moves at the hoop though.

I watched multiple games as my daughter is a huge fan...that team is really bad which allows defenses to blitz her. She has a pretty similar game to Sabrina Ionescu though if that comp helps...

She looked pretty defeated after the NY Liberty game hopefully they are able to get some talent around her.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

If you look at the stats, she's doing just fine. She's on a terrible team and her coach doesn't have a clue.

As for her treatment, I think part of it is "Welcome to the WNBA, kid" and part of it is jealousy. It's not her fault the media hypes her up to the level they have. She'd have to put up 70 every night to live up to that hype. The league needs to have their refs call things fairly. I suspect they are giving her the rookie treatment too. I think eventually she will get the calls - and non calls - the superstars get. She's handled everything fine. Sure she talks trash. Who doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-05-2024),GAC (06-29-2024),Revering4Blue (06-11-2024),Rojo Rijo (06-05-2024)

One person is taking Caitlin Clark’s Olympics snub well. Caitlin Clark.

“ I’m excited for the girls that are on the team,” Clark told reporters Sunday. “I know it’s the most competitive team in the world and I know it could have gone either way — of me being on the team or me not being on the team, so I’m excited for them. I’m going to be rooting them on to win gold. I was a kid that grew up watching the Olympics, so it will be fun to watch them.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...rk/ar-BB1nXsKs
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    All hype or no?

Seems like everyone is complaining about the fouls she's getting since going to the WNBA.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    All of the WNBA is hype that gets shoved down our throats by ESPN. If anyone cared, there would be a player making at least $1M a year.

20. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-10-2024)

I personally know lots of people who care, Caitlin Clark comes up in conversation with literally everyone I talk to sports about. One person I know cares enough they were listening to an Indiana game on the radio on a recent road trip, let alone watching on ESPN.

I also know a bunch of kids who love sports, they all have opinions on Clark and are ready to talk about her anytime.

What a bizarre take. I guess there are going to be guys mad for the next few decades that women's sports are becoming more popular.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    All of the WNBA is hype that gets shoved down our throats by ESPN. If anyone cared, there would be a player making at least $1M a year.
    I sure don't give a rip about it but if others are into it, fine. I just change the channel. There's a lot of stuff I'm not into, including NBA and soccer at any level

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    That going too far, but the coverage has been pretty annoying. It's not about the sport, really, but about the soap opera. The WNBA is trying to figure out how not to mess up its moment and isn't doing a great job of it so far.

Personally, I can't imagine getting into it. I like a lot of women's sports (tennis, volleyball and gymnastics in particular) and think they are actually more interesting than their men's counterparts, but men's basketball is just SO much better than women's IMO. I'm a fan of the women's NCAA Tournament, but beyond that it's hard to get into for me.

Turn Off Ads?