Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Trade Deadline

MLB Trade Deadline

MLB Trade Deadline

Why the MLB 2024 Trade Deadline Could be a Dud

With so few teams out of the playoff hunt and league standings tightly packed, there are few clear cut sellers to feed the market.

When Major League Baseball expanded the playoffs to include a third Wild Card, one major goal was not only to increase competition, but also to resolve the perceived problem of teams tanking.

In 2023 the trade deadline was relatively quiet up until the last week or so, when there was a flurry of activity.

Activity prior to the July 30th , 6 P.M. ET trade deadline could be even more suppressed. A cursory look at the Wild Card standings shows that there are just five teams that can be considered out of the races.

The Angels, A's and White Sox in the American League and the Rockies and Marlins in the National League are all at least 9.5 games or more out of the Wild Card.

Of course a few other teams will join their ranks over the coming weeks. But determinng who that might be is guesswork.

Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.si.com/mlb/diamondbacks/...d-01j03sb0kngg

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Trade Deadline

Phillies’ JT Realmuto Slated for Knee Surgery: 5 Potential Trade Target Replacements
    From the – when it rains it pours file, Philadelphia Phillies staple backstop JT Realmuto has joined cohorts Trea Turner and Brandon Marsh (both with hamstring issues) on the injured list.

On June 11, 2024, breaking news confirmed a lingering knee problem had forced the hand of the Phillies’ front office to shut the steady backstop down.

5 Names Who Could Be on the Phillies’ Radar

Tyler Stephenson/Cincinnati Reds

While technically still very much in the National League wild-card race (0.5 games back), some think Tyler Stephenson could be available for the right price. The Reds’ former first-round draft choice is under control through 2026.

Stephenson is slugging .429 with 6 home runs 22 RBI and a career-high xwOBA of .341. Tyler has improved his framing skills and sports a nice 3 DRS to date.

Should the right deal come about, The Phillies could do a lot worse than Tyler Stephenson.

Story Here
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Phillies’ JT Realmuto Slated for Knee Surgery: 5 Potential Trade Target Replacements
    Story Here
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

You want our second most valuable player, that plays a premium defensive position, is young and controllable and has no internal replacement in sight while we are still in the hunt for a good season?

Sure. Here you go. Why not?

All I would ask in return is Painter and Abel.

5. Likes:

dragonoffrost (06-12-2024),Hubba (06-13-2024),MoneyInTheBank (06-11-2024),podgejeff_ (06-11-2024),Revering4Blue (06-11-2024),Ron Madden (06-11-2024),Roy Tucker (06-12-2024),WrongVerb (06-11-2024)

With lackluster outfield production this season, the MLB-best Phillies are reportedly looking for an upgrade like Luis Robert Jr. or Tommy Pham.

A month and a half remains until the MLB's trade deadline, and the Phillies are expected to be active participants — but also have so much talent on the team as it is, that waiting until the last possible moment might be the correct course of action.

Article Here
    https://www.phillyvoice.com/mlb-trad...alysis-latest/

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

10 potential trade chips whose stock is rising

The majority of teams will likely wait until mid-to-late July before making any buy-or-sell declarations, but here’s a look at 10 players (listed alphabetically, with all stats entering Tuesday) whose recent performances have their trade stock rising as we enter the middle of June.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I approve of a trade for Carlos Estevez if for no other reason than it is the given name of noted Reds fan, Charlie Sheen
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-12-2024),Chip R (06-14-2024),Marc D (06-12-2024),Revering4Blue (06-12-2024),WrongVerb (06-12-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I approve of a trade for Carlos Estevez if for no other reason than it is the given name of noted Reds fan, Charlie Sheen
    Estevez and Taylor Ward in a package deal would be my target. I also wouldn't hate the idea of adding Josh Bell if CES isn't coming back.

12. Likes:

mth123 (06-12-2024),Revering4Blue (06-13-2024)

A slightly different trade partner idea; The Dodgers just traded for Cavan Biggio because they are absolutely desperate at the bottom of their order (LF and 2B positionally).

My thesis is that if they'd give up anything of value for Biggio, They'd be slap crazy happy with one of Fraley/Benson. No? I'm not thinking an MLB ready contributor but I'd take a nice lower minors legit prospect for one of them as I took step one in fixing the RF situation.

Obviously some other moves would have to be made to offset the loss in production for us but I think they can be done.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    A slightly different trade partner idea; The Dodgers just traded for Cavan Biggio because they are absolutely desperate at the bottom of their order (LF and 2B positionally).

My thesis is that if they'd give up anything of value for Biggio, They'd be slap crazy happy with one of Fraley/Benson. No? I'm not thinking an MLB ready contributor but I'd take a nice lower minors legit prospect for one of them as I took step one in fixing the RF situation.

Obviously some other moves would have to be made to offset the loss in production for us but I think they can be done.
    The article in the OP said moves could be made among contenders, each trading from a strength to fill a weakness. If Fraley goes, then a starter could be the return. The Dodgers have Kershaw and Miller coming back. Maybe they'd trade a groundball machine like Gavin Stone in return.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-13-2024),Ron Madden (06-12-2024)

The article in the OP said moves could be made among contenders, each trading from a strength to fill a weakness. If Fraley goes, then a starter could be the return. The Dodgers have Kershaw and Miller coming back. Maybe they'd trade a groundball machine like Gavin Stone in return.
    Stone is pitching like a #2 and has 5 years of control beyond 2024. Fraley just isn't hitting enough to bring back that kind of controlable talent.

I'm down.

Just get the Dodgers to do that and let's roll.

Padres Prioritizing Right-Handed Bullpen Help

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that a “shutdown right-handed reliever” is San Diego’s “top” priority at the moment.

A right-handed reliever makes sense for the Padres, whose contingent of late-game arms skews somewhat left-handed.

Beyond closer Robert Suarez, the Friars’ top right-handed arms are Jeremiah Estrada and Enyel De Los Santos.

Full Article Here
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/...-priority.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Padres Prioritizing Right-Handed Bullpen Help
    Full Article Here
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/...-priority.html
    Emilio Pagan and $3 Million for Donovan Solano.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

How Will The Rays Approach The Deadline?
    As deadline season approaches, the Rays have played like a team that looks like it won’t have much choice but to sell.

They certainly haven’t resembled a club that has made five straight trips to the postseason and was one of the best in the American League en route to 99 wins last year.

Opposing teams have taken notice. Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic wrote yesterday that other clubs are monitoring in case Tampa Bay decides to orchestrate a deadline sell-off.

Rosenthal lists Randy Arozarena, Brandon Lowe and
    Yandy Díaz as potential buy-low targets for other teams. That trio, not coincidentally, are three of the four highest-paid players on the Tampa Bay roster.

Tampa Bay’s front office is accustomed to dealing stars even while the team is in contention, building a talent pipeline that generally keeps them competitive despite bottom five payrolls.
    Continue Reading:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/...-deadline.html

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-13-2024)

Zach Eflin's contract is back loaded for 18 million next year so I could definitely see the Rays being willing to move him.

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-13-2024),Ron Madden (06-13-2024)

Turn Off Ads?