Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Elly De La Cruz trying to steal third down 3 runs in the 9th inning?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Why is Elly De La Cruz trying to steal third down 3 runs in the 9th inning?

He's an exciting player; not a smart player. No critique from the Reds' TV crew.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

LiferJim (06-15-2024),Phoenix2 (06-16-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why is Elly De La Cruz trying to steal third down 3 runs in the 9th inning?

Because they were giving it to him. If they don't pay attention to you and you get huge jump then you go.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-17-2024),goreds2 (06-16-2024),Indymoon (06-17-2024),KeefeCato (06-16-2024),M2 (06-16-2024),Ron Madden (06-15-2024),westofyou (06-16-2024)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Elly's the smartest guy on the field. Just needs more experience.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Probably any other player I’d say it’s dumb. Why risk the out? But with EDLC’s Olympic-level athletic ability, why not? Puts the defense on the defensive.
    I learn by going where I have to go.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-17-2024),KeefeCato (06-16-2024),Ron Madden (06-15-2024)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

They weren’t giving it to him. It’s either dumb or selfish. His run doesn’t matter unless 2 guys score after he does. He put his club at risk to pad his stats
    Stick to your guns.

10. Likes:

GAC (06-18-2024),LiferJim (06-15-2024),malcontent (06-15-2024)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Apparently Bell and Cowgill don't go over situational baserunning in the meetings.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

12. Likes:

LiferJim (06-16-2024)

Elly, as great as he is, has had some of the lowest IQ & frustrating plays I’ve ever seen this year. My biggest gripe is when he tries to stretch a single into a double and gets thrown out, when he can just steal 2nd.

MLB SS should be making those type of errors. McLain needs to be the SS of the future. Elly at 3B. Marte at 2B.

Sometimes I’m like “why haven’t the Reds given this guy a massive contract yet?!” And other times I’m thinking he’s an Aquino w/ Billy Hamilton speed. I know he’s only 22 but leading MLB in strikeouts is not good.
    Last edited by WVKing304; 06-15-2024 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    They weren’t giving it to him. It’s either dumb or selfish. His run doesn’t matter unless 2 guys score after he does. He put his club at risk to pad his stats
    From what I’ve seen, everything Elly does is designed to help the team win.

Why is he padding his stats exactly? To help his arb case that’s three years away? To lead the lead in steals by more?

This is just a bad, embarrassing take. I get being frustrated by a young player making mistakes, but this “he’s selfish and padding his stats” schtick makes all of us look stupid.

Please stop.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-16-2024),BoxingRed (06-16-2024),KeefeCato (06-16-2024),Puffy (06-16-2024),WrongVerb (06-16-2024)

He is the poster boy not only for the Reds but also MLB. The powers that be have decided to hitch their star to his wagon and he will be overly promoted. His mistakes will be overlooked and any good plays will be blown out of proportion. Bell will let him do what he wants because to do because he knows EDLC has ownership and MLB in his corner. The Reds just happen to be his stage until he can escape to NY or LA.

It was a bad move, Contreras was going to make a throw to third but Candy hit a gapper. If Elly is thrown out in that situation its a disaster. No reason to steal third when you need two guys to score behind you in the last inning. Shame on Bell for poor management.

18. Likes:

texasdave (06-17-2024)

Why is Elly De La Cruz trying to steal third down 3 runs in the 9th inning?

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    He is the poster boy not only for the Reds but also MLB. The powers that be have decided to hitch their star to his wagon and he will be overly promoted. His mistakes will be overlooked and any good plays will be blown out of proportion. Bell will let him do what he wants because to do because he knows EDLC has ownership and MLB in his corner. The Reds just happen to be his stage until he can escape to NY or LA.
    Kinda like the Royals did with Bobby Witt Jr last year.

As for why he did it I'm going with "I don't know" nobody has asked him and I can't read minds yet

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Apparently Bell and Cowgill don't go over situational baserunning in the meetings.
    But we know this is not true because the announcers have openly talked on air about how Cowgill does work with him

Quote Originally Posted by WVKing304 View Post
    Elly, as great as he is, has had some of the lowest IQ & frustrating plays I’ve ever seen this year. My biggest gripe is when he tries to stretch a single into a double and gets thrown out, when he can just steal 2nd.

MLB SS should be making those type of errors. McLain needs to be the SS of the future. Elly at 3B. Marte at 2B.

Sometimes I’m like “why haven’t the Reds given this guy a massive contract yet?!” And other times I’m thinking he’s an Aquino w/ Billy Hamilton speed. I know he’s only 22 but leading MLB in strikeouts is not good.
    Lol A older Barry Larkin led the NL in errors in his 3rd season. Should they have moved him off SS as well?

22. Likes:

BoxingRed (06-16-2024),camisadelgolf (06-17-2024),Larkin Fan (06-23-2024),pahster (06-17-2024),westofyou (06-16-2024)

The dreaded “defense indifference”. I would love to see a team fake that and throw the runner out at 2nd or 3rd.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

How fancy does elly like his coffee durr durr durr

25. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (06-17-2024),mgbrown66 (06-17-2024)

Turn Off Ads?