Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another season of "Wait until next year...

Another season of "Wait until next year...

Well that was embarrassing. Just watched the Pirates shut out what feels like the worst lineup in baseball. I'm sorry for our starters and, somewhat, for our bullpen. This lineup is a trash fire. Marte, CES, McClain missing are a crippling blow. But the fact is we are just not good offensively. Kralls absolute refusal to spend money on a RH bat, while wasting money on a journeyman like Pagan, shows, again, that we are an unserious organization.

Greene pitched brilliantly today and has nothing to show for it. AGAIN!!! 8 runs in 5 games and a 1-4 record is about what this team is, it seems. This was not the Braves, Dodger or Phillies, it was the freaking Pirates!!! The Reds might scratch out a .500 season, but it's another round of " Wait until next year" for the 30th year In a row. I'm getting to an age where I'm not sure I'll live to see another legitimate contender in Cincy.

In fact as long as this current ownership is in place, I'm convinced of it.

2. Likes:

WVKing304 (06-20-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another season of "Wait until next year...

What they paid for Pagan was not going to be enough to get a good RH power bat. Pham or Duvall was the best you could expect. The GM. Who is not Krall any longer failed at that. They could have done better than Pagan but the rest of the signings have been or would have been enough to help if Matt and TJ don’t go down before the opening game.

I also don’t think anyone expected offenses to crater this badly all over baseball. They are still in the Top 10 in runs scored after these last 5 games. It’s bad all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

I also don’t think anyone expected offenses to crater this badly all over baseball. They are still in the Top 10 in runs scored after these last 5 games. It’s bad all over.
    Reds are in top 10 in runs scored? In MLB? In NL? Not sure what you’re referring to, please specify. My numbers seem different.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-19-2024 at 05:35 PM.

6. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (06-19-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds are in top 10 in runs scored? In MLB?
    In the NL. Top 5 in walks. That and SB is the only good thing they do. It’s a boring team to watch hit and try to even manufacture runs. No wonder they have to bunt more. Remember when we said the 2013 team was boring but they would n boring. It’s like that but the pitching is not as good now nor can they consistently win low scoring games. Everything is out the window with the TJ and Matt injuries. However like Mitri said in another thread. That excuse is getting old now. There is no rookie calvary coming to help this year.
    Is it worth trading any good minor league player to win this year? More disappointing performances in AAA and AA than good ones so you would have to trade what’s in Both A leagues.

The GM. Who is not Krall any longer failed at that.
    Krall is the President of Baseball Operations, which in 2024 means he's what the General Manager would have been 15 years ago. It's just a title change to keep another club from poaching him.

9. Likes:

JCM11 (06-19-2024),RedsFanInMS (06-19-2024),Revering4Blue (06-19-2024)

In the NL. Top 5 in walks. That and SB is the only good thing they do. It’s a boring team to watch hit and try to even manufacture runs. No wonder they have to bunt more. Remember when we said the 2013 team was boring but they would n boring. It’s like that but the pitching is not as good now nor can they consistently win low scoring games. Everything is out the window with the TJ and Matt injuries. However like Mitri said in another thread. That excuse is getting old now. There is no rookie calvary coming to help this year.
    Is it worth trading any good minor league player to win this year? More disappointing performances in AAA and AA than good ones so you would have to trade what’s in Both A leagues.
    Oh, because in runs scored Reds are 11th in NL. That’s 11th out of 15 teams and play in GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Oh, because in runs scored Reds are 11th in NL. That’s 11th out of 15 teams and play in GABP.
    It showed 10 before the game today on BR. 2 weeks ago they were still 7th-8th. So the last week they’ve been obviously putrid.

It showed 10 before the game today on BR. 2 weeks ago they were still 7th-8th. So the last week they’ve been obviously putrid.
    Don't the players have access to resources other than this awful coaching staff?
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Krall is the President of Baseball Operations, which in 2024 means he's what the General Manager would have been 15 years ago. It's just a title change to keep another club from poaching him.
    Exactly. Nowadays, they just pass out titles left and right. Krall is running the show, but he is a puppet, yes man for big Bob and "Tommy Boy" Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Smjjaz View Post
    Well that was embarrassing. Just watched the Pirates shut out what feels like the worst lineup in baseball. I'm sorry for our starters and, somewhat, for our bullpen. This lineup is a trash fire. Marte, CES, McClain missing are a crippling blow. But the fact is we are just not good offensively. Kralls absolute refusal to spend money on a RH bat, while wasting money on a journeyman like Pagan, shows, again, that we are an unserious organization.

Greene pitched brilliantly today and has nothing to show for it. AGAIN!!! 8 runs in 5 games and a 1-4 record is about what this team is, it seems. This was not the Braves, Dodger or Phillies, it was the freaking Pirates!!! The Reds might scratch out a .500 season, but it's another round of " Wait until next year" for the 30th year In a row. I'm getting to an age where I'm not sure I'll live to see another legitimate contender in Cincy.

In fact as long as this current ownership is in place, I'm convinced of it.

The putrid offense has really overshadowed the improvement in starting pitching-- especially the trio of Greene, Lodolo and Abbott. They have combined for a 3.20 ERA over 233 innings--- and doing it one of the toughest parks for pitchers.

The Reds have scored 3,4,2,3,4,6,1,4,1,2,1 runs in their last 11 games........ and still went 5-6 which speaks volumes about the pitching.

Tough stretch coming up that is important. Boston, Pittsburgh @ St Louis, @ NYY, vs Detroit. Just as the Reds were digging themselves out of the hole with the 7 game win streak, they fell back down a little bit into the hole over the past 11 games. If they keep hitting like they have, they will end up 8 or 10 games under .500, only to rebound and go 6-1 vs Miami and Colorado to be 3 or 5 games back under .500 and give fans hope that they can get over the hump back to .500 and back into the race for the final WC spot. Only to once again, fall short at the end of the year.

This is where things get worse. If you own a business, regardless of the business and your employee wastes money and doesn't give you a decent ROI, what are the chances you let them spend the following year? If I'm ownership and look at the ROI on FA this year-- I wonder how much the Reds will allow Krall to spend next year. I mean they will on the hook for Pagan, barring his agent doing something dumb, and probably Martinez as well, unless they both want to leave in search of a better place. No one is going to pay Pagan $8mm next year, and no one will pay Martinez $12mm as a pen option and $12mm for him to be a starter seems a bit high considering the quality of pitchers who signed in the $13-$15mm range this past season on a 1 year deal. He isn't going to risk losing out on $12mm next year bc opting out unless he finishes the season on an absolute tear and feels confident he can parlay that into a 2 year contract in FA as a starter. But non elite relievers only get 1 year deals.

The Reds also need to start talking about a crazy extension for EDLC this offseason. Witt signed for $288mm--- Boras will want more for EDLC, and likely a signing bonus as well which will cut into the amount the Reds get to spend next year. Boras knows that the Reds need to extend EDLC and he has all of the leverage, so it will cost the Reds a pretty penny.

The Reds won't have much to spend next year, so it's all about hoping that people stay healthy, pitching remains strong and some hitters improve. It is really frustrating mgmt sits on their thumb instead of being aggressive to fix the obvious hitting that the Reds needed. Instead, they prefer to lose winnable games while waiting for guys to come back, instead of looking for help to get the Reds back into the race.

I wonder if mgmt realizes you only have Lodolo for 2025-2027, before he's a FA. And with his injury history, you really hate wasting a season where the Reds have a nice 1-2-3 punch of Lodolo, Greene and Abbott.

It's like mgmt is incapable of pivoting to realizing they are in win now mode, as they are always on wait until next year mode. Last year they had a chance-- but decided to wait until next year. This year, injuries have hit them hard, which is why when the opportunity arises, you need to take advantage of it. Injuries are mgmt's built in excuse they will use this offseason if they miss the playoffs. Got to hand it to the Reds mgmt, they always have an excuse ready to go.

Luckily I have the Bengals, FCC and UC to fall back on. But it still blows that the Reds can't even accidentally luck into a good season and win a playoff series. #inept organization.

15. Likes:

Powder River (06-20-2024),WVKing304 (06-20-2024)

the move is to go get Rooker from Oakland and get him here by the time Marte returns. Those 2 could juice and balance this offense.

17. Likes:

Chip R (06-21-2024)

The entire OF needs a remodel. Nothing on the way. I guess Steer in LF works but I’d love to see every other outfield spot turned over before the start of ‘25.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-21-2024),Powder River (06-20-2024),RiverRat13 (06-19-2024),Ron Madden (06-20-2024),westofyou (06-19-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The entire OF needs a remodel. Nothing on the way. I guess Steer in LF works but Id love to see every other outfield spot turned over before the start of 25.
    Freidl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

21. Likes:

Indymoon (06-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The entire OF needs a remodel. Nothing on the way. I guess Steer in LF works but Id love to see every other outfield spot turned over before the start of 25.
    Bingo, lots of tweener stars here. Need a OF stud to match IF

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-20-2024)

Oh ye of little faith. It’s just June. Lots of games yet to play.
    I learn by going where I have to go.

25. Likes:

GAC (06-20-2024),pedro (06-21-2024),RiverfrontRed (06-20-2024),Ron Madden (06-20-2024)

Turn Off Ads?