Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2024-2025: Celtic Pride

Re: NBA 2024-2025: Celtic Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Bulls trading Caruso to OKC for Giddey.

That came out of nowhere.
    I like that trade for the Bulls. What does Caruso give OKC that Cason Wallace doesn't? I suppose experience, but I'm all in on Giddey + Coby White as the nucleus for something better in Chicago. Also, this is the first trade Karnišovas has made in four years.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    My pre draft overall take: With so little projected high-end talent available, if there ever were a time to eschew ceiling for need for teams in win-now mode — I am looking at you, Philly and Milwaukee — this may be the draft to do so.
    Absolutely, I feel like Tristan Da Silva to the Sixers is written in the stars.

Also, Kyle Filipowski seems like a guy who can slot in very well on a contender (big, playmaking skills, can defend on the perimeter, pro-skills from 3).
    Last edited by M2; 06-20-2024 at 11:22 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-20-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Will be interesting to see if anyone wants to move up. Hard to see star potential in any of these guys. For instance, Cody Williams seems like a guy who might bring a lot to the table (size, good passer, great athleticism, high motor), but I'd want him at good value rather than burn assets to get him.
    I think the Blazers' interest is for one of the Frenchmen. If either is there, they could pull the trigger with something like Brogdon and #7. Supposedly, Charlotte and Memphis have been more agressive than Portland about trading for the #3 pick. This is not a good year for players. Risk everywhere. Last year's had 10 guys better than the best player in this draft and next year will have at least half a dozen better than anyone in this draft. Blazers want to swing for upside, and that's one of the two Frenchmen (Sarr or Risacher).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-21-2024),M2 (06-20-2024)

Absolutely, I feel like Tristan Da Silva to the Sixers is written in the stars.
    If he's there, Philly will draft him. Shortly after, it will be announced that they're dealing Da Silva as part of a trade package for Jimmy Butler and an early second rounder. With the second rounder, they'll draft a guard who can't shoot, who will almost immediately come down with some kind of rare illness, severe allergic reaction to basketball leather, or some other strange inexplicable disorder, rendering the pick moot.

They're the Sixers so something out of that has to come true.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 06-21-2024 at 12:03 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I think the Blazers' interest is for one of the Frenchmen. If either is there, they could pull the trigger with something like Brogdon and #7. Supposedly, Charlotte and Memphis have been more agressive than Portland about trading for the #3 pick. This is not a good year for players. Risk everywhere. Last year's had 10 guys better than the best player in this draft and next year will have at least half a dozen better than anyone in this draft. Blazers want to swing for upside, and that's one of the two Frenchmen (Sarr or Risacher).
    Any chance Portland will move Grant? Provided he can be convinced to play defense again (call his dad to give him a stern talking to), he could help a contending team. Dallas for sure could have used him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    If he's there, Philly will draft him. Shortly after, it will be announced that they're dealing Da Silva as part of a trade package for Jimmy Butler and an early second rounder. With the second rounder, they'll draft a guard who can't shoot, who will almost immediately come down with some kind of rare illness, severe allergic reaction to basketball leather, or some other strange inexplicable disorder, rendering the pick moot.

They're the Sixers so something out of that has to come true.
    I've become fascinated by the possibility of an alternate universe where Philly right now is comprised of Embiid, Jaylen Brown (could have drafted him), Jayson Tatum (could have drafted him), Mikal Bridges (did draft him, but immediately traded him) and Jrue Holiday (drafted him and he took them to the playoffs twice and made an All-Star team all by age 22 before they traded him for Nerlens Noel).

Veeck As In Wreck is one of the greatest books ever written. Right up there with Huckleberry Finn and Anna Karenina as far as I'm concerned. And The Long Season/Pennant Race.

11. Likes:

Chip R (06-21-2024),Revering4Blue (06-22-2024)

I've become fascinated by the possibility of an alternate universe where Philly right now is comprised of Embiid, Jaylen Brown (could have drafted him), Jayson Tatum (could have drafted him), Mikal Bridges (did draft him, but immediately traded him) and Jrue Holiday (drafted him and he took them to the playoffs twice and made an All-Star team all by age 22 before they traded him for Nerlens Noel).
    Is that the same alternate reality where they don't trade Moses Malone for Jeff Rutland, draft Brad Daugherty instead of dealing the #1 pick for Roy Hinson, take Penny Hardaway instead of throwing a #2 overall pick away on Shawn Bradley, don't deal Barkley for crap, listened to Allen Iverson's feedback about play style rather than trade him, and stood up to the NBA brass rather than ruining seasons via the Colangelos?

Sounds like a nice place.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-21-2024),M2 (06-21-2024),Revering4Blue (06-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Veeck As In Wreck is one of the greatest books ever written. Right up there with Huckleberry Finn and Anna Karenina as far as I'm concerned. And The Long Season/Pennant Race.
    That's great too but the passage I cited was from The Hustler's Handbook. Covers a lot of ground that Wreck did but it's less biographical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Is that the same alternate reality where they don't trade Moses Malone for Jeff Rutland, draft Brad Daugherty instead of dealing the #1 pick for Roy Hinson, take Penny Hardaway instead of throwing a #2 overall pick away on Shawn Bradley, don't deal Barkley for crap, listened to Allen Iverson's feedback about play style rather than trade him, and stood up to the NBA brass rather than ruining seasons via the Colangelos?

That's the exact one. They also let Hersey Hawkins shoot way more threes, Andrew Toney's knees hold up and they upgrade Henry Bibby (which leads to a couple of championships).

Does Iverson participate with enthusiasm in practice in that universe?
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Does Iverson participate with enthusiasm in practice in that universe?
    Dude, we're talking about practice. Not a game. PRACTICE.

--Ted Williams

18. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-21-2024),Chip R (06-21-2024),klw (06-21-2024),M2 (06-21-2024),Revering4Blue (06-21-2024)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

NBA 2024-2025: Celtic Pride

That's the exact one. They also let Hersey Hawkins shoot way more threes, Andrew Toney's knees hold up and they upgrade Henry Bibby (which leads to a couple of championships).
    Doug Collins’ career as a player ending prematurely didn’t help, either.

I don’t believe there has ever been a more obvious pick in NBA history that was passed over than Penny by the Sixers in ‘93. But if they had listened to me in ‘86, the draft outcome would have been worse. I wanted them to take Len Bias.

As for Jrue Holiday, Larry Bird passed on him to select Tyler Hansborogh (sp?). The Pacers would have had no need to trade Kawaii Leonard for George Hill and would have been able to overcome the loss of Danny Granger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 06-22-2024 at 12:16 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

20. Likes:

M2 (06-21-2024),SteelSD (06-21-2024)

Any chance Portland will move Grant? Provided he can be convinced to play defense again (call his dad to give him a stern talking to), he could help a contending team. Dallas for sure could have used him.
    They'd love to (I would think, but Jody Allen and Bert Kolde are still there, so everything is really directionless for years to come, but that aside...), and supposedly the new TV package coming soon makes Grant's contract less of an issue. Still don't think anyone will take on that contract THIS Summer. Perhaps next Summer. Still believe Simons is available and that's a contract that's doable, and the dude can shoot. That has a market. Fans would love to see Grant moved (fans want to see Billups gone, too, but he's still there). It's an ugly mess. It sucks when your franchise has one day during a year to look forward to and it's draft day,...and it's also Groundhog Day.

Trying to move Robert Williams is on the agenda. Brogdon will definitely get traded (have to in order to get under the cap...a crappy roster AND over the cap). Simons OR Grant needs to be traded. Those two on the floor together equal zero team Defense. Sharpe can't be playing the "3" or coming off the bench. Simons needs to get moved. You can hide one bad Defender (tell that to the Mavs fans), at least in the regular season, but you can't hide two. Love how Udoka is priortizing Defense, Defense, Defense for the Rockets (and OKC is doing the same thing). BOS has the best Defense in the league. They won the title. Not a coincidence. Detroit is pretty stupid. Maybe they'll take Grant back for "Veteran Leadership" and 20 points per game at a Wing position.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-21-2024 at 06:49 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Dude, we're talking about practice. Not a game. PRACTICE.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-22-2024),SteelSD (06-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Sharpe can't be playing the "3"
    That's the thing I don't get. Plenty of guys smaller than Sharpe play the 3. No reason he can't be like Jaylen Brown, being a 2 or 3 (or a 4 sometimes in Brown's case) as the situation dictates. Sharpe's 6'6" with insane hops and a 7-foot wingspan. No reason he shouldn't be able to play as a nominal forward. There should be zero issue playing him alongside two guards.
    Last edited by M2; 06-22-2024 at 04:36 PM.

Turn Off Ads?